Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installing WinXP

Installing WinXP

steve

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:54:42 +1300, DUser wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:38:31 +1300, steve wrote:

>> Gentoo or Debian was easier than this - despite the detail work in the
>> former and the nvidia and other gaps in the latter.. At least they
>> work.
>>
>> The system is an Abit N7S mobo with an AMD 2200+ CPU and 512MB of 266MHz
>> DDR RAM.
>>
>> HD is a 60GB Maxtor - single FAT32 partition
>> Plus a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive.

> Be fair
> Your linux installs included a fresh format on the preferred file system.
> The CD is a moulded piece of polycarbonate, not a dye layer so iy is
> unlikely to have deteriorated with age. I have installed XP many times
> from the most basic CDRs with no problems whatsoever.

I'm fair in so far as I keep trying.

Call it an act of faith.

I'm now in the position where, to have another attempt, I must first
re-install Win98SE as the XP setup can't be run from the command line. You
need a GUI.

The WinXP Home setup/upgrade is a one-shot thing.....if it doesn't work
out - you're screwed. You have to wipe the disk and then do TWO installs.

steve

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:27:14 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

> Why not just do a format then install XP on a clean hard drive, 99% of
> problems are due to installing windows on top of windows!
>
> PseUDO

....and how do you do that with WinXP Home Upgrade version?

You can't run the XP setup.exe from the commend line.....so you need to
re-install Win98SE first.....again upgrade version...so it's looking for
Win98 or prior.

Honestly....once you climb into the "gorse".....Linux looks simple.

I could pay $700-ish for XP Pro.....FULL version and just boot the CD, I
guess.

Dumdedo

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:49:33 +1300, DUser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:54:26 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

>>>Do it from scratch with NTFS, it all works better that way.

>> NTFS has noting at all to do with it, and Win 98 can't read NTFS Files..

>I can't be bothered telling you why, you are too stupid.

So how come I have a decent machine XP on Fat32..

But then you are so full of yours self..

steve

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:52:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:31:20 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:37:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
>>
>>> May be your CD Rom drive is on its last legs, do you smoke, ? have you cleaned
>>> the Laser Lens, you can use one of those cleaning disks as a last result, only
>>> helps to remove dust , not Nicotine..

>>No smoking at my house......and the drive is one of my newest.
>>
>>It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem. Maybe i should try a straight
>>CD-ROM drive.
>>
>>I've installed several Linux distros on this drive and never had any
>>trouble.

> I did not think they made only CD-RW Drives, are you referring to a CD-RW
> CD..?
>
> Because CD Rom drives do have problems reading CD-RW disks, they have a very
> low reflectivity and have a very short shelf life for data retention..

No.

The CD is a genuine MS WinXP disc. I bought a copy shortly after it came
out and had it installed for 6 months or so on one machine. But when
SP1came out requiring me to give backdoor access to Microsoft, I wiped it
out.......they had left me with no upgrade path, so Windows was
effectively dead.

In the meantime, I have a DVD composing and burning application with
my new DVD burner....that will run on WinXP as originally delivered -
without SP1....and I want to use it for that.

Dumdedo

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:55:02 +1300, DUser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:52:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

>>>No smoking at my house......and the drive is one of my newest.
>>>
>>>It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem. Maybe i should try a straight
>>>CD-ROM drive.
>>>
>>>I've installed several Linux distros on this drive and never had any
>>>trouble.

>> I did not think they made only CD-RW Drives, are you referring to a CD-RW
>> CD..?
>>
>> Because CD Rom drives do have problems reading CD-RW disks, they have a very
>> low reflectivity and have a very short shelf life for data retention..

>Its a Microsoft XP CD
>Dummy

I will quote your posting..

>>It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem.

So who is the dummy now..?

Max Burke

> steve scribbled:

>> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:27:14 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

>> Why not just do a format then install XP on a clean hard drive, 99%
>> of problems are due to installing windows on top of windows!

>> PseUDO

> ...and how do you do that with WinXP Home Upgrade version?
> You can't run the XP setup.exe from the commend line.....so you need
> to re-install Win98SE first.....again upgrade version...so it's
> looking for Win98 or prior.

Just put the Win98 CD (or diskette 1) in the drive, and let it find it, then
carry on with the install.
It's just verifying that you have a legit copy of the OS you're upgrading
from.
That's the way it's been with all Windows upgrades since Win 95a

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

Dumdedo

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:05:32 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
>I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
>dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
>
>This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
>instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
>
>I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
>mistake, too.....
>
>So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
>Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
>
>sapi.dl_
>filelist.xm_
>rstrui.dl_
>srframe.mm_
>srdiag.ex_
>airplane.bm_
>
>.....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
>setup.
>
>The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
>to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
>
>I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

One this is a BIG Must, do not Install XP with out the Updates, do a
slipstreamed XP SP1a, this is a copy of XP with the patches added
to the Copy of XP..

Many many sites & MS have Info on how to do this, Note you are creating a Boot
CD..

The only small tricky part is adding the Boot image, this you can get from the
original XP CD, but remember do NOT use the Floppy Boot image setting..

This is a Must when doing XP repairers, as old system file could get copied..

Dumdedo

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:17:27 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:52:52 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

>>>No smoking at my house......and the drive is one of my newest.
>>>
>>>It's a CD-RW....so maybe that's the problem. Maybe i should try a straight
>>>CD-ROM drive.
>>>
>>>I've installed several Linux distros on this drive and never had any
>>>trouble.

>> I did not think they made only CD-RW Drives, are you referring to a CD-RW
>> CD..?
>>
>> Because CD Rom drives do have problems reading CD-RW disks, they have a very
>> low reflectivity and have a very short shelf life for data retention..

>No.
>
>The CD is a genuine MS WinXP disc. I bought a copy shortly after it came
>out and had it installed for 6 months or so on one machine. But when
>SP1came out requiring me to give backdoor access to Microsoft, I wiped it
>out.......they had left me with no upgrade path, so Windows was
>effectively dead.

More Paranoia, what Back Door, ? I have not seen any real prof of this at all?

Even with a quick scan on Google..

>In the meantime, I have a DVD composing and burning application with
>my new DVD burner....that will run on WinXP as originally delivered -
>without SP1....and I want to use it for that.

Ali P

news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You can't run the XP setup.exe from the commend line.....so you need to
> re-install Win98SE first.....again upgrade version...so it's looking for
> Win98 or prior.
>
> Honestly....once you climb into the "gorse".....Linux looks simple.
>
> I could pay $700-ish for XP Pro.....FULL version and just boot the CD, I
> guess.

The XP Home upgrade CD should also be bootable. Mine is. The only difference
during setup is the need to insert a qualifying CD when prompted. You
shouldn't have any probs doing a fresh install with it. Alternatively,
download the set of bootable floppies ...
http://tinyurl.com/3azo
AL

Henry Falkner

> So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
> Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
>
> sapi.dl_
> filelist.xm_
> rstrui.dl_
> srframe.mm_
> srdiag.ex_
> airplane.bm_
>
> .....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
> setup.
>
> The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
> to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
>
> I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

This looks to me like the new installation seeing the old installation on
your harddisk.

I upgraded a Toshiba Satellite 2750DVD:

Saved all the stuff I wanted to keep on ZIP disks.
Used the recovery disk to re-install Windows 98SE, which wipes the harddisk
first.
Installed Windows XP Home Upgrade.
Did all the MS updates via modem.
Installed Norton Internet Security.

This I did to avoid clobbering the Toshiba Satellite 2750DVD hardware
specific drivers, which then demanded to be updated (via Modem).

Does this scenario compare to yours?

Henry