Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is there a ...

Is there a ...

Max Burke

> T.N.O. scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:
>> And the vast majority of vistors accessing websites hosted on servers
>> running *nix will be using Windows...
>> The vast majority of thos websites will be 'tweaked' to the defacto
>> standard web browser that MOST users will be using, a Windows based
>> Web browser.. Just thought I'd offer my 2c worth to this 'numbers
>> advocacy dogma' so loved by OSS/*nix advocates

> according to my webserver stats, IE6 has 44%, Mozilla FireBird 32%,
> Mozilla 8.3% IE5.22 4%, Other 13%
> I know, it adds up to more than 100%(101.3)... I assume this is
> because of rounding errors.
> OS Stats are as follows.
> XP 42% Win2k 28% Mac 3% L/Unix 24% Other 3%
> This is fairly typical of the logs on one of my other pages to...
> although Linux is normally a little lower, and Mac normally a little
> higher, but still fairly accurate.

Well if we're going to play the numbers game.....

From: http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html for Oct/Nov 2003

OS used to access Google.....
Windows XP 42%
Windows 98 27%
Windows 2000 19%
NT 3%
Mac 3%
Windows 95 1%
Linux 1%
Other 4%

Oh and dont forget to check out the graph for browsers; IE 6 is going
through the roof while all others are falling......

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

Max Burke

> Lennier scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:

>> And the vast majority of vistors accessing websites hosted on servers
>> running *nix will be using Windows.

> That is true.
> However, the projections are that Windows on the desktop is to
> stagnating and will soon start to loose market share.

Lennier wants to play.....

Whose projections? The OSS/*nix communities *projections?*
Got any references, links, cites to back up this OSS/*nix dogma/belief?

It's good to have something to believe in, but at least try and believe in
things that are *important*......

Here's some facts:
<quote>
"According to the report, "Worldwide Client and Server Operating Environment
Market Forecast and Analysis, 2002-2007," Windows desktop OS sales worldwide
increased from 93.2 percent of the market in 2001 to 93.8 percent in 2002,
accounting for more than $9.75 billion in sales. Various Mac OS versions
stalled in second place, with just 2.9 percent of the market (and 2.2
percent of the revenues), although IDC noted that Apple will soon relinquish
second place to Linux, which saw desktop growth in 2002 to 2.3 percent of
the market. All told, 121 million client OSs shipped in 2002, IDC says;
about 113 million were XP, 3.5 million were Mac OS, and 2.9 million were
Linux."

"The server side of the equation also has an interesting breakdown. In 2002,
Windows Server products owned 55.1 percent of the market, from a
unit-shipment standpoint, up from 50.5 percent in 2001. Second-place Linux
accounted for 23.1 percent of new shipments, up from 22.4 percent in 2001.
Only Windows and Linux saw growth in 2002. Combined, all UNIX OS versions
declined 8.9 percent year over year; Novell NetWare fell 12.4 percent."

"IDC also noted that the SCO Group lawsuit against Linux companies is having
an effect. "Even if the litigation is resolved, the incident may forever put
to rest the notion that Linux is 'free' software that can be deployed on any
machine without any accountability for ownership and licensing," the IDC
report reads. "This weakens a major area of differentiation between Linux
and more commercialized operating environments." However, IDC believes that
the SCO lawsuit will be resolved and that Linux use will grow through 2007.
Windows Server will still dwarf Linux during that time period, however, the
report says. "Microsoft generates about the same amount of OS revenue in 3
days as the entire Linux industry generates in 1 year," IDC notes."
<end quote>

Some other links for you to 'peruse' at your conveinience....
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20031008S0013

Your turn Lennier.....
(please dont try the tired old 'they're 'owned/paid' by Microsoft"
whine....)

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke/

steve

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:21:35 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

> And the vast majority of vistors accessing websites hosted on servers
> running *nix will be using Windows...
>
> The vast majority of thos websites will be 'tweaked' to the defacto standard
> web browser that MOST users will be using, a Windows based Web browser..
>
> But most of all the nearly ALL users dont CARE what OS the server is
> running..

So...we can only talk about this from the perspective of the uninformed
user?

Max...you always adopt this stance and it's honest up to the p[oint where
you fail - or refuse - to acknowledge any other perspective.

When you reach that point - as you have again here - you're simply
dishonest and not worth wasting time on.

Max Burke

> steve scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:

>> And the vast majority of vistors accessing websites hosted on servers
>> running *nix will be using Windows...
>> The vast majority of thos websites will be 'tweaked' to the defacto
>> standard web browser that MOST users will be using, a Windows based
>> Web browser..
>> But most of all the nearly ALL users dont CARE what OS the server is
>> running..

> So...we can only talk about this from the perspective of the
> uninformed user?

Not at all Steve; You can talk about it from your POV as often as you like.
Just dont expect anyone/everyone to agree with your POV.....

> Max...you always adopt this stance and it's honest up to the p[oint
> where you fail - or refuse - to acknowledge any other perspective.

This is just your peception Steve. How am I responsible for your
perceptions?

Like it or lump it, most people (myself included) DONT have your
'perspective' on, well, just about anything at all that you claim to be
interested in; Nor do we want to. Why you think we have to, or that we're
dishonest when we say dont need to see things the way you say we have to see
them in YOUR problem...

BTW what you call 'uninformed users' are the majority of computer users;
Their/our POV has just as much validity as yours does, and more to the point
it IS what counts when they are the dominat market share that Microsoft, etc
cater for.
Any problems you have with that fact of life are YOUR problems Steve......

> When you reach that point - as you have again here - you're simply
> dishonest and not worth wasting time on.

Any 'time wasting' you think you're doing is YOUR CHOICE Steve... I have
nothing to do with the choices YOU choose to make....

There are those that refuse to believe that the simplest explanation for
statistics is most often the *correct one*.....

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke/

ChrisOD

In article <En3Fb.13902$(E-Mail Removed)>, mlvburke@%$%#
says...
> [...]

> machine without any accountability for ownership and licensing," the IDC
> report reads. "This weakens a major area of differentiation between Linux
> and more commercialized operating environments." However, IDC believes that
> the SCO lawsuit will be resolved and that Linux use will grow through 2007.
> Windows Server will still dwarf Linux during that time period, however, the
> report says. "Microsoft generates about the same amount of OS revenue in 3
> days as the entire Linux industry generates in 1 year," IDC notes."
> <end quote>
>
> Some other links for you to 'peruse' at your conveinience....
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20031008S0013
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112840,00.asp
>
> Your turn Lennier.....
> (please dont try the tired old 'they're 'owned/paid' by Microsoft"

Got no real beef with the trust of the argument but you have to realise
that IDC can only measure from sales, IIRC in 2000 they had an article
that admitted that free or non-commercially distributed OS would be
significantly underrepresented.
But who cares, I use XP, 98, Fedora, RHEL, 2Kserver, Solaris....
Whatever does the job best. For the average home desktop I still think
XP edges out Fedora (the latest I have used) but the differences are
closing. In the server arena, it again is what does the job best, for
web serving etc I prefer Linux, the tomcat/apache model suits me best.
But I use Windows for things like exchange etc.

Basically the OS is just a platform for the software I want to run.

--

Chris

Bret

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:12:57 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
wrote:

>> T.N.O. scribbled:

>>> Max Burke wrote:
>>> And the vast majority of vistors accessing websites hosted on servers
>>> running *nix will be using Windows...
>>> The vast majority of thos websites will be 'tweaked' to the defacto
>>> standard web browser that MOST users will be using, a Windows based
>>> Web browser.. Just thought I'd offer my 2c worth to this 'numbers
>>> advocacy dogma' so loved by OSS/*nix advocates

>> according to my webserver stats, IE6 has 44%, Mozilla FireBird 32%,
>> Mozilla 8.3% IE5.22 4%, Other 13%
>> I know, it adds up to more than 100%(101.3)... I assume this is
>> because of rounding errors.
>> OS Stats are as follows.
>> XP 42% Win2k 28% Mac 3% L/Unix 24% Other 3%
>> This is fairly typical of the logs on one of my other pages to...
>> although Linux is normally a little lower, and Mac normally a little
>> higher, but still fairly accurate.

>Well if we're going to play the numbers game.....
>
>From: http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html for Oct/Nov 2003
>
>OS used to access Google.....
>Windows XP 42%
>Windows 98 27%
>Windows 2000 19%
>NT 3%
>Mac 3%
>Windows 95 1%
>Linux 1%
>Other 4%

Linux users already know where they want to go

>Oh and dont forget to check out the graph for browsers; IE 6 is going
>through the roof while all others are falling......

So many faults to Google for, pity it's a fruitless task.

Warwick

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:34:31 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> "Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2003.12.20.00.46.33.792832@TRACKER...
>> Is there an open-source programme for Linux that is similar to Adobe Go
>> Live or Macromedia Dreamweaver for website management?

> Is there a reason why you specifically want your website management program
> to be open-source running Linux?

Its frequently the choice of the ISP/Host isn't it?
Rather than the developer?

Lennier

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:42:50 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

> Whose projections?

My own!

Lennier

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dumdedo wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:46:33 +1300, Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Is there an open-source programme for Linux that is similar to Adobe Go
>>Live or Macromedia Dreamweaver for website management?

> So why bother with a unsupported OS like Lunix..
>
> Or do you wish for a early grave..?

Seems your ability to communicate in a civil manner already died long
ago Woger. Get over it you sad neurotic deluded little person!

--
Kind regards,

Lennier

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:19:24 +1300, ChrisOD wrote:

>> however, the report says.
>> "Microsoft generates about the same amount of OS revenue in 3 days as
>> the entire Linux industry generates in 1 year,"

Well...

That is to be expected when you pay hundreds, even thousands for a licence
to install and to use another version of Micro$oft Windows.

At the same time you can download the three ISO images of the Fedora Core OS for
little more than the cost of the internet connection, burn them to disc,
and then freely use them on as many computers as you wish - all entirely
Open Source software released under the GNU licence, and available for
free download.

I have had a recent opportunity to experience the use of M$ WindowsXP.

I found it strange; and it didn't feel as if I was the one controlling the
computer.

I s'pose its because I've gotten used to the logic and file structure
and ease-of-use of *nix systems.

Lennier