Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > best free image editor?

best free image editor?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

-[Myth]- wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:12:19 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
>

>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>>Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
>>>gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

>>Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
>>both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
>>probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
>>unusual about the interface?

> The way most of the options are available in the right-click menu, rather
> than from drop-down menus at the top, also that there is no main window,
> and the toolbars etc are seperate windows.

So whats so unusual about that? Different horses for different courses
buddy. If you hate it cos its not like Photobloat thats fine, but people
who try Photobloat for the first time might find that kludgey as well...

--
Kind regards,

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:12:19 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
> >> gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

> > Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
> > both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
> > probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
> > unusual about the interface?

> The way most of the options are available in the right-click menu, rather
> than from drop-down menus at the top, also that there is no main window,
> and the toolbars etc are seperate windows.

Yeah, it can take a bit to get used to if you are accustomed to
different apps but I quite like it. Having seperate windows is not
totally alien to me as a Mac user and I like the right click model
because you can become really quick at performing a load of operations.
You don't have to move your mouse to some menu up the top, you can just
right click and away you go.

--
madknoxie

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 21 Dec 2003, Chris Wilkinson wrote

> Gimp is not specific to Linux. It is associated with Linux because
> most distros include it as standard (why not, after all its pretty
> damn good for a freebie). You can compile the source on almost any
> platform if you want, so get a grip Woger...

He already has a grip - a very firm one. The problem lies in convincing
him to let go.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

- Single man: Dude - - - Married Man: Subdued.

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:07:29 +1300, in article
<bs13i8$r38$(E-Mail Removed)>, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote:

> It cuts, crops, adjust gamma brightness contrast, but best of all sharpens
> better than PSP 7.02 can ever do.

True, true. And it has a red-eye reduction option too.
What IrfanView can do _might_ be all that the OP needs.

I don't usually need to do a lot more with photos,
but I do need much more with drawings.

> Because Irfan View settings allow you to
> fine tune the sharpen option while PSP doesn't.

OTOH for colour-reduction from true colour to 256 colours
(e.g. to create a GIF), other apps do a better job than
IrfanView does with dithering photographic images.

> It looks and performs like an editor even though it's missing a lot of
> features from other editors.

No drawing tools (lines, boxes, circles, spray can, etc).

It all depends on the OP's application.
If the OP wants to make his photos look better, then IrfanView
may be useful. If the OP wants to create his own drawings, then no way.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

steve

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K wrote:

> Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
> shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

GIMP - "GNU Image Manipulation Program"

Open source software for Linux or Windows.

Windows -> http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

Often likened to Photoshop in power and capability....but it does things
in a different way so you may have to play with it at first to get a feel
for it.

www.gimp.org

Mainlander

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
> >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

> paintshop pro v5
> This was free on a Aus comp mag about a month or so ago

Only if registered at the time.

PSP3 is unlimited shareware (never expires)

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
> >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

> December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free.

Uh no it was October and the registration time has expired.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:44:27 -0800, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
> >>shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

> >Thanks for all the ideas guys, I will take a look over the hols

> If you have Microsoft Office there is Microsoft Photo Editor that
> comes with that. It wasn't automatically installed with the Office
> software and I installed later. It's surprising just how much one can
> do with it. Personally I still use PSP7 & 8 but my needs may be
> different from yours.

Very limited image manipulation software

T.N.O.

~misfit~ wrote:
>>I could still beat your little baby

> Beating babies now Dave?

only if the women arent available...

</bad joke>

forensic analysis

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
> > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

> > December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free.

> Uh no it was October and the registration time has expired.

Different magazine, different month.

It was on PC User in October, but has resurfaced on the Decmber issue of APC
as stated.

A second chance for those who missed out previously.