Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > best free image editor?

best free image editor?

E. Scrooge

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) z.net...
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:19:47 +1300, in article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, John wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
> > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

> > Check out InfranView, not as advanced as PSP but freeware and great
> > for manging all your images off your digital camera...

> IrfanView is an excellent fast image viewer which handles many different

image formats.
> IrfanView can also do conversion from one image format to another.
> Even so, IrfanView is not an image editor.
> --
> Cheers,
> Ralph

It cuts, crops, adjust gamma brightness contrast, but best of all sharpens
better than PSP 7.02 can ever do. Because Irfan View settings allow you to
fine tune the sharpen option while PSP doesn't.
It looks and performs like an editor even though it's missing a lot of
features from other editors.

E. Scrooge

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:49:27 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
>
> >> December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free. Many PC mag
> >> CD also have the Gimp, a PhotoShop equivelant with an unusual
> >> interface.

> > What's unusual about it?

> Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
> gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
unusual about the interface?

--
madknoxie

T.N.O.

madknoxie wrote:
> I could
> probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user.

I always knew there was something odd about you.

madknoxie

In article <3fe43d93$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> madknoxie wrote:
> > I could
> > probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user.

> I always knew there was something odd about you.

You make it sound like there is only one thing odd about me... rice boy

--
madknoxie

T.N.O.

madknoxie wrote:
>>>I could
>>>probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user.

>>I always knew there was something odd about you.

> You make it sound like there is only one thing odd about me... rice boy

Riceboy? I could still beat your little baby

Kookaburra

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:44:27 -0800, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
>>shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

>Thanks for all the ideas guys, I will take a look over the hols

If you have Microsoft Office there is Microsoft Photo Editor that
comes with that. It wasn't automatically installed with the Office
software and I installed later. It's surprising just how much one can
do with it. Personally I still use PSP7 & 8 but my needs may be
different from yours.

Cheers, Kooky

Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

~misfit~

T.N.O. wrote:

> I could still beat your little baby

Beating babies now Dave?
--
~misfit~

-[Myth]-

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:12:19 +1300, madknoxie wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>> What's unusual about it?

>> Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
>> gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

> Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
> both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
> probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
> unusual about the interface?

The way most of the options are available in the right-click menu, rather
than from drop-down menus at the top, also that there is no main window,
and the toolbars etc are seperate windows.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dumdedo wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:22:26 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>K wrote:
>>
>>>Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
>>>shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

>>gimp
>>
>>(the software, not you)
>>

>>Russell

> Is this not the Luni lunix stuff.?

Gimp has been ported to Windows and works well. The only difference
to the *nix version is that the windows download is bigger because
Gimp needs the GTK+ gui system, which is included in the Windows
version download...

Gimp is not specific to Linux. It is associated with Linux because
most distros include it as standard (why not, after all its pretty
damn good for a freebie). You can compile the source on almost any
platform if you want, so get a grip Woger...

--
Kind regards,