Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to Access my Shared Folder document after disabling File Shari

How to Access my Shared Folder document after disabling File Shari

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Hello,

I am trying to remove my computer from the LOCAL NETWORK (while still
maintaining an internet connection with my hub). I have just disabled File
and Printer Sharing through Windows Firewall. However, I still see my PC name
when i click on VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. How do I remove my pc from the
local network view of computers.

Secondly, I cannot access my own SHARED DOCUMENTS folder when I disable
sharing. Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgSXNoZXJ3b29k?=

Mike,

To take your computer off the network, run the network set up wizard again,
but this time, select "This computer connects to the Internet directly. I do
not have a network yet."

As for the Shared Documents folder, why do you need to if you are not
sharing anything? Anyway, the shared documents folder is automatically set up
for all users without the need to enter a password to access it. Since simple
file sharing makes you enter a user name and password to access shared
content, re-enable simple file sharing to access the shared documents folder
again.

Christopher Isherwood

"Mike" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to remove my computer from the LOCAL NETWORK (while still
> maintaining an internet connection with my hub). I have just disabled File
> and Printer Sharing through Windows Firewall. However, I still see my PC name
> when i click on VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. How do I remove my pc from the
> local network view of computers.
>
> Secondly, I cannot access my own SHARED DOCUMENTS folder when I disable
> sharing. Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Christopher,

Thanks for the reply. I realize it is a little redundant but I want to be
thorough because I like to undo anything I do to my computer. Here is the
situation:

I temporarily shared some files on the network and disabled sharing. Now I
cannot open my Shared Folder. I get an "ACCESS IS DENIED" prompt message. My
shared files are in this SHARED FOLDER but I do not even have access to them.

Furthermore, I followed your advice, and ran the NETWORK WIZARD again. At
the end of the wizard installation, I received an ERROR prompt with a message
telling me to redo it or try another way. (it did not state the cause of the
error).

Thanks again.

"Christopher Isherwood" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> To take your computer off the network, run the network set up wizard again,
> but this time, select "This computer connects to the Internet directly. I do
> not have a network yet."
>
> As for the Shared Documents folder, why do you need to if you are not
> sharing anything? Anyway, the shared documents folder is automatically set up
> for all users without the need to enter a password to access it. Since simple
> file sharing makes you enter a user name and password to access shared
> content, re-enable simple file sharing to access the shared documents folder
> again.
>
> Christopher Isherwood
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to remove my computer from the LOCAL NETWORK (while still
> > maintaining an internet connection with my hub). I have just disabled File
> > and Printer Sharing through Windows Firewall. However, I still see my PC name
> > when i click on VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. How do I remove my pc from the
> > local network view of computers.
> >
> > Secondly, I cannot access my own SHARED DOCUMENTS folder when I disable
> > sharing. Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgSXNoZXJ3b29k?=

I'm sorry, but I am not sure of what to do to fix the problem. I can,
however, provide a workaround solution:

Try logging on to the computer using the built-in Administrator account. If
you are running XP Professional, press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the Welcome Screen and
type Administrator in the user name field, and whatever password you chose at
system setup. If you have XP Home, boot the computer to safe mode by pressing
F8 repeatedly at startup. Select the normally hidden Administrator account
and enter the password you created (in Home, the default is no password).

Then, open My Computer, and try to open the Shared Documents folder.

I hope it all works out for you. If not, try asking someone else. There is
bound to be another post by somone with more expertise than me who can give
you the solution to your problem.

Best of luck,
Christopher Isherwood