Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Backup Software

Backup Software

Max Burke

> Enkidu scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:

>>> John scribbled:

>> Included in XP:
>> Backup Utility

>>> Ive written a VB script for that tool if you wish to schedule jobs.
>>> IT runs a different job for each week of the month, you only have to
>>> schedule the job once...

>> The scheduled tasks manager in XP will do that for you......

> Yes, but the script can do other things, like run a backup using the
> unmanaged method, remind you to put the correct tape in *before* the
> backup, analyse the output and send the details to you only on
> failure, move backup reports to a safe place and rename them to
> something sensible. None of which can be done with the scheduling
> facility within the backup GUI, unless it's changed dramatically from
> Win2000.
> Sure, schedule the *batch job* via the scheduler. But that's not the
> point.

The OP was asking about backup from one HD to another HD....
But if you're using a tape drive/CDR drive then sure a VB script, batch
file, Windows script can do that for you..

I have a daily schedule that does a system state backup, a daily incremental
backup, a daily backup of IE and OE settings/profiles, and a system restore
checkpoint...
All these (except for the IE/OE backup) run in the background automatically
without any intervention or prompting from me...
I do my weekly backups myself but they could be automatic as well if I
wanted them to be...

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

Invisible

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:47:12 +1300, R-Slicks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:51:38 +1300, al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Would appreciate advice/recommendation regarding backup softwares for
>>Windows XP Pro.
>>
>>It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy
>>
>>Thank you.

>If you want to do 'online' images try PowerQuest V2i Protector. It
>will image the drive to another drive or network location, can be
>scheduled, can do incremental backups, can be used to retrieve
>individual files/folders, and works while windows is running.

When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
usage went up to 100%.

T.N.O.

Invisible wrote:
> When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
> usage went up to 100%.

There is nothing wrong with 100% CPU usage... as long as it is a low
priority.

On my machine I have SETI usign 100% of the CPU most of the time, if I
open a game, the game is set to a higher priority than SETI, so SETI
"pauses" while I play.

Ian Boag

There is only one 100% sureifire backup that I know of

Install a caddy. Buy at least TWO more HDDs. Once a week, use GHOST or
equiv to clone the working drive on to a backup HDD. Take out backup
HDD and store somewhere safe.

Personally I do this with a Promise RAID card. The backup gets done
automatically and every so often I swap out the removable drive.

Not the cheapest solution but ....

If your PC/HD toasts or walks, this means you have a drive that you
can plug into another one and it will just go .....

IB

Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:44:00 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
>wrote:
>
>>> John scribbled:

>>> Ive written a VB script for that tool if you wish to schedule jobs.
>>> IT runs a different job for each week of the month, you only have to
>>> schedule the job once...

>>The scheduled tasks manager in XP will do that for you......
>>

>Yes, but the script can do other things, like run a backup using the
>unmanaged method, remind you to put the correct tape in *before* the
>backup, analyse the output and send the details to you only on
>failure, move backup reports to a safe place and rename them to
>something sensible. None of which can be done with the scheduling
>facility within the backup GUI, unless it's changed dramatically from
>Win2000.
>
>Sure, schedule the *batch job* via the scheduler. But that's not the
>point.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff
>
>Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
>that I could cope with twice.

Shannon

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:35:48 +1300, al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Question. If my C: drive is stuffed, how do I retrieve my backup in
>another HD?

In theory, you reinstall windows on a new HDD and then do a restore
onto that.

We've used it a lot to back-up data; but not whole working systems, so
yeah.

Ian Boag

You reinstall Win and all your apps, then restore. If you're like me.
restoring the apps would be a terrible mission. Find CDs, find keys
and passwords for stuff bought/installed off the Net etc etc.

See my earlier post for the cure. Clone your HD ......

IB

Shannon <(E-Mail Removed)-dot.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:35:48 +1300, al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Question. If my C: drive is stuffed, how do I retrieve my backup in
>>another HD?

>In theory, you reinstall windows on a new HDD and then do a restore
>onto that.
>
>We've used it a lot to back-up data; but not whole working systems, so
>yeah.

R-Slicks

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:03:26 +1300, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:47:12 +1300, R-Slicks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:51:38 +1300, al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Would appreciate advice/recommendation regarding backup softwares for
>>>Windows XP Pro.
>>>
>>>It must be easy to use, preferably harddisk-to-harddisk copy
>>>
>>>Thank you.

>>If you want to do 'online' images try PowerQuest V2i Protector. It
>>will image the drive to another drive or network location, can be
>>scheduled, can do incremental backups, can be used to retrieve
>>individual files/folders, and works while windows is running.

>When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
>usage went up to 100%.

Really ? I never even noticed it on mine (Athlon XP2000+, 1Gb RAM) and
it currently sits at a whopping 0% (mind you, it isn't actually doing
anything right now). I don't notice when it runs either. You sure you
didn't choose 'high compression' ? When I went to the product demo
they specificaly said don't bother with high compression because it
chews the CPU for no appreciable gain in compressed file size and go
with the default which is pretty good anyway. My 'tests' certainly
proved this and I stuck with the default from then on...

--
DO NOT reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

Invisible

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:25:19 +1300, R-Slicks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:03:26 +1300, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>>>If you want to do 'online' images try PowerQuest V2i Protector. It
>>>will image the drive to another drive or network location, can be
>>>scheduled, can do incremental backups, can be used to retrieve
>>>individual files/folders, and works while windows is running.

>>When it automatically started on my XP Pro box, after a few seconds the CPU
>>usage went up to 100%.
>>

>Really ? I never even noticed it on mine (Athlon XP2000+, 1Gb RAM) and
>it currently sits at a whopping 0% (mind you, it isn't actually doing
>anything right now). I don't notice when it runs either. You sure you
>didn't choose 'high compression' ? When I went to the product demo
>they specificaly said don't bother with high compression because it
>chews the CPU for no appreciable gain in compressed file size and go
>with the default which is pretty good anyway. My 'tests' certainly
>proved this and I stuck with the default from then on...

Mine was hitting 100% about 10 seconds after the desktop loaded I had to set
it to manual start in the services. Then when I started to backup, bang, 100%,
and V2i not responding. I'll have another tinker & see if I can sort it out.

Bryan Souster

[snip]

[snip]

You might want to consider Powerquest Datakeeper. I got this software free
with Partition Magic but AFAIK it can be bought separately.

Datakeeper runs continuously and has a number of options - I use it to back
up nominated files/folders each time they are closed. The number of file
generations and the target disk to back up to are all configurable. I used
PM to reconfigure my (80 gig) drive into multiple partitions, one of which
is used solely by DK. This completely automates file backup in an
unobtrusive fashion and file restoration is easy. The only vulnerability is
that the backed-up files are vulnerable to a total disk failure (because
there is just one physical drive).

--
Bryan Souster - reply to bas01 at clear dot net dot nz
For acronyms (IIRC, TIA etc) visit www.acronymfinder.com for the meanings.