Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless LAN

Wireless LAN

harry

jonas wrote:
> harry wrote:
>> JedMeister wrote:
>>
>>> "jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:WRbEb.32822$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would
>>> include the required configuration, and possible hardware
>>> recommendations. (Wi-fi supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).
>>>

>> He needs an access point plugged into the built in ethernet switch
>> and set up using encryption.
>>

> Thank you, for this answer .
> Also, would I notice any difference between 11b and 11g as far as ping
> goes, and would 11g work at full speed over a distance of ~30m through
> two walls and some glass?

The ping times will be the same, latency is reported as about 3 - 6 mS per
hop
No idea about range and speed through obstructions and reflections, 30m
indoors is within manufacturers specs though.

jonas

Looking on pricespy I notice that some 11b products are rated as 22mbps
and some as 11mbps. Is this because they are full duplex or something?

Darren wrote:
> The only thing different between 802.11b and 802.11g is the g is much
> faster....
> all have encryption....
>
> "-{-astrae-}-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vNcEb.13540$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
>>
>>all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.
>>

>>"steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>newsan.2003.12.18.06.59.31.126306@whoknowswut. org...

> three

> be

>>>You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
>>>
>>>If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
>>>sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
>>>even easier.

jonas

So all i need to do is plug an access point into one of the router's
ethernet ports, stick a pci card in the machine i want to use over
wireless, and then that machine functions just the same as if it were
connected to the router via ethernet?
ChrisOD wrote:
> In article <rngEb.33034$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
>>Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would include the
>>required configuration, and possible hardware recommendations. (Wi-fi
>>supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).
>>

>>"jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:WRbEb.32822$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have three
>>>computers connected to. However I want to move one of these machines to
>>>another part of the house and want to use wireless for the network.
>>>What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the wireless must be
>>>able to connect to the internet, and also to the other machines on the
>>>ethernet network.
>>>

> I use a similar set up at home.
> I have a 3com g AP and it works fine.
> I use 128 bit WEP cos until the last few days XP's support of WPA was
> flakey, will have to change that now. I also lock down by MAC addy.
>
> I just plugged the AP into the switch and bingo it went. I use dhcpd on
> my linux box not my DSL router, I do this for a number of reasons,
> including "static IP" for my laptop. Cos I can't be arsed fiddling with
> my Network CPL, every time I come home from work. So your results may
> vary.
>
> I also use the 3com card in my lappy.

T.N.O.

steve wrote:
>>And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
>>all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

> DSE....they assure me there is no encryption. Maybe they lied.

The $69 cards they sell have encryption... maybe the sales man doesnt
know his product.

T.N.O.

ChrisOD wrote:
>>>you can lock down 11b... you just gotta know how, and following almost
>>>any of the guides online make it simple.

>>Yes....a competent person can do it.
>>But the other 98% should be using 802.11g.

> Well bugger me, and I thought that g was just a speed difference. I
> thought it was things like WEP (pretty crap), WPA, 802.11i and 802.1x
> that gave auth and crypto. Also there are options for locking down by
> mac addy in most APs.

Dont let facts get in the way of good marketing.

-{-astrae-}-

"jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dTqEb.33534$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So all i need to do is plug an access point into one of the router's
> ethernet ports, stick a pci card in the machine i want to use over
> wireless, and then that machine functions just the same as if it were
> connected to the router via ethernet?

correct

once you have set up encryption, etc.. at each end.

T.N.O.

jonas wrote:
> Looking on pricespy I notice that some 11b products are rated as 22mbps
> and some as 11mbps. Is this because they are full duplex or something?

They use multiple channels at the same time, but are more susceptible to
noise from surrounding 2.4Ghz gear.

ChrisOD

In article <brtje7$734mk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> jonas wrote:
> > Looking on pricespy I notice that some 11b products are rated as 22mbps
> > and some as 11mbps. Is this because they are full duplex or something?

> They use multiple channels at the same time, but are more susceptible to
> noise from surrounding 2.4Ghz gear.

And sometimes it is just poor marketing such as the "200Mb" NICs that
DSE used to (and maybe still does) sell.
100Mb Full Duplex is not the same as 200Mb.

True about the interference g is also more prone to interference but
will fall back to lower bit rates.
Just if you buy a digital cordless phone make sure it is not 2.4GHz

--

Chris

pete

"jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OIqEb.33524$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking on pricespy I notice that some 11b products are rated as 22mbps
> and some as 11mbps. Is this because they are full duplex or something?

Some D-link Air Plus (for example) equipment will work at 22 mbs if both
ends of the circuit are D-Link , otherwise it will fall back to 11 mbs .
There is also D-Link Air Pro which works at 54 mbs (and is priced
accordingly)

-[Myth]-

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:59:31 +1300, steve wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:32:08 +1300, jonas wrote:
>
>> I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have three
>> computers connected to. However I want to move one of these machines to
>> another part of the house and want to use wireless for the network.
>> What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the wireless must be
>> able to connect to the internet, and also to the other machines on the
>> ethernet network.

> You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
>
> If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
> sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
> even easier.

Hmmmm, 11g equipment is very expensive, at least the stuff on picespy. Are
there any cheaper places to get it?

VPN Lan-to-lan via Wireless Link Elia Spadoni Cisco 10 03-23-2008 10:59 PM
Wireless LAN and Ethernet LAN in one XP machine =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEV2ZXJldHQ=?= Wireless Networking 1 03-09-2006 11:01 PM
Can't connect wired linksys lan to wireless belkin lan Tom D Wireless Networking 4 01-24-2005 02:06 PM
lan-to-lan vpn over adsl blaj Cisco 0 11-19-2003 08:32 PM
IPSec - Lan to Lan - Nat routers - 1 Static and 1 Dynamic ip Sharqy_5 Cisco 0 07-20-2003 09:35 PM

Advertisments