Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless LAN

Wireless LAN

steve

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:35:08 +1300, -{-astrae-}- wrote:

> And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
>
> all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

DSE....they assure me there is no encryption. Maybe they lied.

JedMeister

Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would include the
required configuration, and possible hardware recommendations. (Wi-fi
supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).

"jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WRbEb.32822$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have three
> computers connected to. However I want to move one of these machines to
> another part of the house and want to use wireless for the network.
> What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the wireless must be
> able to connect to the internet, and also to the other machines on the
> ethernet network.

Nathan Mercer

news(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
>>> If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
>>> sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
>>> even easier.

>> you can lock down 11b... you just gotta know how, and following almost
>> any of the guides online make it simple.

> Yes....a competent person can do it.
>
> But the other 98% should be using 802.11g.

How come? 802.11g doesn't magically make anymore secure than 802.11b

Nathan Mercer

news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:35:08 +1300, -{-astrae-}- wrote:
>
>> And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
>>
>> all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

> DSE....they assure me there is no encryption. Maybe they lied.

Maybe they have no idea and guessed.

Maybe its a conspiracy

ChrisOD

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:31:15 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>
> > steve wrote:
> >> You want 802.11g equipment. It uses encryption....but costs more.
> >> If you get cheap 802.11b (unencrypted) stuff, your neighbours might be
> >> sharing your network with you......and your using DHCP would make that
> >> even easier.

> > you can lock down 11b... you just gotta know how, and following almost
> > any of the guides online make it simple.

> Yes....a competent person can do it.
>
> But the other 98% should be using 802.11g.

Well bugger me, and I thought that g was just a speed difference. I
thought it was things like WEP (pretty crap), WPA, 802.11i and 802.1x
that gave auth and crypto. Also there are options for locking down by
mac addy in most APs.

--

Chris

harry

JedMeister wrote:

> "jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WRbEb.32822$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have
>> three computers connected to. However I want to move one of these
>> machines to another part of the house and want to use wireless for
>> the network. What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the
>> wireless must be able to connect to the internet, and also to the
>> other machines on the ethernet network.

> Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would
> include the required configuration, and possible hardware
> recommendations. (Wi-fi supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).

He needs an access point plugged into the built in ethernet switch and set
up using encryption.

harry

steve wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:35:08 +1300, -{-astrae-}- wrote:
>
>> And what cheap 802.11b equipment are you referring to?
>>
>> all *cheap* equipment I can find as encryption.

> DSE....they assure me there is no encryption. Maybe they lied.

I can't believe that you could remain ignorant of the text in the catalogue
on the box and everywhere else they usually put it.

"
Proven Technology
Using 2.4GHz Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) technology, this card
transfers data at speeds up to 11Mbps. It supports 64/128-bits Wired
Equivalent Protection (WEP) algorithm for added network security. Both
Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure modes are supported.

"

AD.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:40:57 +1300, Darren wrote:

> all have encryption....

Depending on how you define 'encryption'.

It would be ok for most but to be safer, you might want to add ssh or
IPSec or something else over the top of that.

Cheers
Anton

ChrisOD

In article <rngEb.33034$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would include the
> required configuration, and possible hardware recommendations. (Wi-fi
> supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).
>

> "jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WRbEb.32822$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have three
> > computers connected to. However I want to move one of these machines to
> > another part of the house and want to use wireless for the network.
> > What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the wireless must be
> > able to connect to the internet, and also to the other machines on the
> > ethernet network.

I use a similar set up at home.
I have a 3com g AP and it works fine.
I use 128 bit WEP cos until the last few days XP's support of WPA was
flakey, will have to change that now. I also lock down by MAC addy.

I just plugged the AP into the switch and bingo it went. I use dhcpd on
my linux box not my DSL router, I do this for a number of reasons,
including "static IP" for my laptop. Cos I can't be arsed fiddling with
my Network CPL, every time I come home from work. So your results may
vary.

I also use the 3com card in my lappy.
--

Chris

jonas

harry wrote:
> JedMeister wrote:
>
>>"jonas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:WRbEb.32822$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a DSE ADSL router with builtin ethernet switch which i have
>>>three computers connected to. However I want to move one of these
>>>machines to another part of the house and want to use wireless for
>>>the network. What equipment do I need to do this? The machine on the
>>>wireless must be able to connect to the internet, and also to the
>>>other machines on the ethernet network.

>>Could someone answer the question please? The ideal answer would
>>include the required configuration, and possible hardware
>>recommendations. (Wi-fi supports WEP/WPA encryption protoocols).
>>

> He needs an access point plugged into the built in ethernet switch and set
> up using encryption.

Thank you, for this answer .
Also, would I notice any difference between 11b and 11g as far as ping
goes, and would 11g work at full speed over a distance of ~30m through
two walls and some glass?

VPN Lan-to-lan via Wireless Link Elia Spadoni Cisco 10 03-23-2008 10:59 PM
Wireless LAN and Ethernet LAN in one XP machine =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIEV2ZXJldHQ=?= Wireless Networking 1 03-09-2006 11:01 PM
Can't connect wired linksys lan to wireless belkin lan Tom D Wireless Networking 4 01-24-2005 02:06 PM
lan-to-lan vpn over adsl blaj Cisco 0 11-19-2003 08:32 PM
IPSec - Lan to Lan - Nat routers - 1 Static and 1 Dynamic ip Sharqy_5 Cisco 0 07-20-2003 09:35 PM

Advertisments