Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Reformatting a Toshiba laptop without a recovery disk?

Reformatting a Toshiba laptop without a recovery disk?

Craig

I have been given an old second-hand (Windows 95) Toshiba laptop,
without a recovery disk.

I do have a regular Windows 95 CD and wonder if I make a boot disk
with CD support for the laptop whether I could then re-install the
operating system with the W95 CD.

The Toshiba site has plenty of drivers available for download for this
old laptop so I won't miss out there. You can get recovery discs
locally (0800 441 615) but they only have a Windos 3.1 recovery disk
for my particular model.

So, will my idea of using a regular W95 CD work

news.inspire.net.nz

What model ?

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been given an old second-hand (Windows 95) Toshiba laptop,
> without a recovery disk.
>
> I do have a regular Windows 95 CD and wonder if I make a boot disk
> with CD support for the laptop whether I could then re-install the
> operating system with the W95 CD.
>
> The Toshiba site has plenty of drivers available for download for this
> old laptop so I won't miss out there. You can get recovery discs
> locally (0800 441 615) but they only have a Windos 3.1 recovery disk
> for my particular model.
>
> So, will my idea of using a regular W95 CD work

Craig

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:06:24 +1300, "news.inspire.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote:

>What model ?

Satellite Pro 430CDS

pete

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:06:24 +1300, "news.inspire.net.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >What model ?
> >

> Satellite Pro 430CDS

Can't see why not. Locate all the drivers first, make your boot diskette,
and go for it. The only thing that might be "different" (to a normal PC
load) is that the hard drive might contain a separate hibernate partition
(ie where it parks the contents of RAM when it goes to sleep. Run fdisk and
see what you have to start with. I reloaded a Toshiba this way and got a
pile of useful drivers from Toshiba Canada
http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/ln_byModel.htm