Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > News Readers

News Readers

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> In article <brk0dp$u0q$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I'm bored so I thought it might be time to checkout some of the other News
> > Readers out there. I've been using OE for a long time and wish to try a few
> > others to see what they feel like. any suggestions?
> > I'm already in the process of trying out Thunderbird so don't suggest that.
> > Any others that are worth a look? Windows Platform please.
> >
> > Thanks
> > EAgle

> I prefer the layout of Gravity over Agent. Other than that, they are a
> good match on features.
>
> Gravity is no longer maintained/supported by the publishers, but one of
> the original coders made a sort of 'goodbye' version that can be found
> on the 'net.

It is actually being maintained - it's now a Sourceforge project - wich
is great news (I've been a fan of Gravity for years - never did like
Agent much).

Duncan

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> In article <brk0dp$u0q$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I'm bored so I thought it might be time to checkout some of the other News
> > Readers out there. I've been using OE for a long time and wish to try a few
> > others to see what they feel like. any suggestions?
> > I'm already in the process of trying out Thunderbird so don't suggest that.
> > Any others that are worth a look? Windows Platform please.
> >
> > Thanks
> > EAgle

> I prefer the layout of Gravity over Agent. Other than that, they are a
> good match on features.
>
> Gravity is no longer maintained/supported by the publishers, but one of
> the original coders made a sort of 'goodbye' version that can be found
> on the 'net.

PS: you might note that Patrick Dunford uses this version - Patrick,
what's with the "advertisement" tagline on your posts these days? - can
that be turned off???

--
Duncan

steve

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:17:34 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

> Yes but we are not all Lunix Idiots..
>
> Please post in the correct news group next time.

....but then all your posts would be in alt.asshole.

Dumdedo

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:16:43 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:17:34 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
>
>> Yes but we are not all Lunix Idiots..
>>
>> Please post in the correct news group next time.

>...but then all your posts would be in alt.asshole.

Na lunix.idiots.nz

Gordon

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:16:28 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

> Thunderbird is not a News Reader, its a Browser..

Firebird is the browser, Thunderbird is the news/mail "add on", and the
name of a great car!

Gordon

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:17:34 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

>>I'm using Mozilla 1.5 tonight, but I usually use either Pan or KNode.
>>

> Yes but we are not all Lunix Idiots..
>
> Please post in the correct news group next time.

Two out of three aen't bad. Or has Pan for MS windows gone into history?

Jerry

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:38:10 +1300, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

t a News Reader, its a Browser..

>Firebird is the browser, Thunderbird is the news/mail "add on", and the
>name of a great car!

Only the 1955 - 57 ones

Jerry

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> It is actually being maintained - it's now a Sourceforge project - wich
> is great news (I've been a fan of Gravity for years - never did like
> Agent much).
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/

Hey thanks for the heads up. I've just been and downloaded the new
version

cheers, -P.

Brendan

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:09:17 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:55:01 +1300, "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>I'm bored so I thought it might be time to checkout some of the other News
>>Readers out there. I've been using OE for a long time and wish to try a few
>>others to see what they feel like. any suggestions?
>>I'm already in the process of trying out Thunderbird so don't suggest that.
>>Any others that are worth a look? Windows Platform please.
>>

> I use Agent. I like it so much I paid for it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

I am currently trialling Dialog - see
http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html for a good list of windows ones
currently available.

Seems pretty good. Very simular to Agent, but with a lot of long wished for
features: support for multiple news/email accounts, scoreing, random sigs,
and a heap of other cool stuff.

Free too.

--

...... Brendan

Two wrongs don't make a very good excuse...

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not
otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

GraB

> I use Agent. I like it so much I paid for it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Agent is a very good newsreader, very mature. I am trying out Pan for
Windows at the moment. Pan will display attachments which Agent doesn't
though that is not much of a problem really, but Pan is missing one
feature I particularly like and that is to be able to lock headers you
want to keep when you delete everything else.

Just found one other flaw. If you click on a link in a message in Pan, it
opens IE, even if the default browser is Opera. Links always open in the
default browser with Agent. It does the same if you click on Pan Home
Page under Help.

Do DNG readers age like RAW readers/converters?? Davy Digital Photography 1 09-29-2007 07:43 PM
News Readers Luke O'Malley Computer Support 19 01-25-2006 08:03 AM
News Readers newbie Computer Support 2 09-10-2005 07:34 AM
news readers.. the niner nation Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 06:51 AM
OT: News Readers Sharon HTML 6 02-25-2004 08:11 PM

Advertisments