Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WindowsXP and Roaming Profiles.

WindowsXP and Roaming Profiles.

Tis-I

Hello,

Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
to?

The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

Thanks
Me

Dave Taylor

"Tis-I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:yP7Db.29470$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a
> peer to peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating
> server to log on to?
>
> The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
> Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and
> sit at the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the
> same location.
>
> Thanks
> Me

AFAIK you need a server,emulating a domain controller to join and
authenticate to, to support roaming profiles.
This server is simple, free and works really well for your proposed use
by using SAMBA to emulate a domain.
There are many similar alternatives available.
http://www.contribs.org

Novell Small Business Suite is also free for 5 users.
http://www.novell.com/products/small...s_starterpack/

Ciao, Dave

Mainlander

In article <yP7Db.29470$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
> peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
> to?

No peer to peer Windows network provides any mechanism whatsoever for the
automatic transfer of files from one machine to another, which is
required for roaming.

The authentication mechanism on peer to peer Windows network exists
solely at a level of shared resource access, and does not extend the
other features ordinarily found in full server implementations.

> The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
> Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
> the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

There is nothing to stop you from placing the files on a mapped network
drive, however you may find that Outlook does not permit this to occur.
Small office systems based on peer to peer networking with a particular
workstation used to store all of the files for access by other
workstations are fairly commonplace.

T-Boy

In article <yP7Db.29470$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
> peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
> to?
>
> The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
> Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
> the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

If i were you i'd setup a dummy situation, where a sample (half gig to a
gig) .pst file is on another computer. When you realise what this
(reasonably largish) file will do to your network performance, I think
you'll quickly change your mind about having *lots* of .pst files on a
'server' PC.

I'd recommend you take a look at SBS 2003 Standard or Premium - your
server doesn't have to be anything fancy but you'll know how your
business dictates that (whether you want RAID, tape backup etc etc - hey
it's not expensive surely to have two SATA drives hardware RAID
mirrored). SBS is excellent value for money, particularly when you find
out how easy it is to install and deploy - it's all "out of the box"
wizard driven stuff, and it all works!

--
Duncan

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Tis-I wrote:

> Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
> peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
> to?
>
> The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
> Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
> the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.

Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion. And, if the
machine crashes you lose your changes since they will not be copied back.

Get exchange or something that will run terminal server. Much easier to manage

T.N.O.

Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
> Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

Isnt that the limit for pst files?

I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
each ~300MB.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

T.N.O. wrote:

> Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
>
>> Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

> Isnt that the limit for pst files?
>
> I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
> always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
> backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
> last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
> each ~300MB.

Yup, its the limit, then the **** hits the fan and you cant even delete things
from it without compacting it.

Tis-I

Thanks people.

Not exactly what I had hoped to hear but I guess that's life.

Well at least I know that Father Xmas will be coming down my chimney soon

Cheers

"Tis-I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yP7Db.29470$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
> peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log

on
> to?
>
> The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
> Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit

at
> the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same

location.

> Thanks
> Me

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
> > Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

> Isnt that the limit for pst files?
>
> I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
> always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
> backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
> last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
> each ~300MB.

I always keep my personal one below 100 MB, why does anyone need so much
mail archived?

T.N.O.

Mainlander wrote:
>>>Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

>>Isnt that the limit for pst files?
>>I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
>>always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
>>backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
>>last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
>>each ~300MB.

> I always keep my personal one below 100 MB, why does anyone need so much
> mail archived?

Some is business email... I cant be bothered sorting it, and I like to
be able to refer to stuff from ages ago(I consider 6 months to be ages),
at the click of a button.