Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WindowsXP and Roaming Profiles.

WindowsXP and Roaming Profiles.

Nathan Mercer

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Novell Small Business Suite is also free for 5 users.
> http://www.novell.com/products/small...s_starterpack/

It hardly free if you must pay for the services of a Novell partner to get
it installed
Free? even worse than saying Linux is free

Nathan Mercer

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
> > Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

> Isnt that the limit for pst files?

These days Outlook (version 2003) uses a new PST file format, Unicode, that
has a theoritical limit of 33TB
Outlook has a policy that lets you limit the size of PSTs, by default this
is set to 20GB

> I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
> always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
> backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
> last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
> each ~300MB.

Exactly, just because you can make it big doesn't mean you should, I stick
to around that size myself - or create a new archive PST each year or
whichever comes first
Ultralarge PSTs suck, putting all your eggs in on unbacked up basked is a
bad idea

Enkidu

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:54:21 +1300, "Nathan Mercer"
<nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

>Ultralarge PSTs suck, putting all your eggs in on unbacked up basked is a
>bad idea

Here's a good trick. Back them up to CD. However you can't *read* them
off a CD. You have to copy them back to disk, then make them R/W. For
some reason you can't open PSTs if they are read only.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Steven H

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, *@*.*
says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
> > > Ick... I have had PST files get to 2 gigs on regular occasion.

> > Isnt that the limit for pst files?
> >
> > I've never had any luck once they get over 1.5GB myself... they almost
> > always end up corrupting themselves, and I have to either grab one from
> > backup, or repair it... I now use a new one for each month, and drop the
> > last one out of Outlook after 6 months, so I have 6 active PST files,
> > each ~300MB.

> I always keep my personal one below 100 MB, why does anyone need so much
> mail archived?

my next project will be a addin for Outlook which archives off all my
List Serv email (usually ~200 a day) into my SQL Server..

why..

because i need some experience in db programming with .net and because i
get bored of web based list serv archive services..

i got all the software for free (perfectly legally) so i may as well use
it.

Steven H

E.

Tis-I wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use roaming profiles on windowsXP PC's used in a peer to
> peer configuration or do you have to have an authenticating server to log on
> to?
>
> The scenario would be 6 PC's, and a file server with all documents and
> Outlook PST files on the file server. People could come into work and sit at
> the first PC they came to, rather than always sitting in the same location.
>
> Thanks
> Me

Yup. Piece of ****.
Right click "my computer", manage, users, click on the username,
profiles, profile path. Point it at the "server".
You'll have to do this for every account on every PC.
Bear in mind that:

-there is no central management of anything, so if you change a password
you'll have to go to every Pc and change it (or use remote management)
-XP Home has a 5 user connection limit.
-you can do exactly the same thing with a reasonable bit of hardware,
linux/samba and a good book.
E.