Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New computer woes

New computer woes

Dany P. Wu

Hi everyone,

I finally upgraded my setup at home, and installed a new copy of WinXP
Pro. Unfortunately there's one thing that annoys the shite out of me
at the moment (amongst others).

At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
"Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
that!

I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
can't remember how I did it.

Can someone please refresh my memory?

Cheers,
Dany.

Dumdedo

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:34:38 +1300, Dany P. Wu
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I finally upgraded my setup at home, and installed a new copy of WinXP
>Pro. Unfortunately there's one thing that annoys the shite out of me
>at the moment (amongst others).
>
>At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
>set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
>"Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
>opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
>that!
>
>I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
>can't remember how I did it.
>
>Can someone please refresh my memory?
>
>Cheers,
>Dany.

I had to patch a Registry Entry but the side affect is that the Volume name no
longer shows, and some times does not register a disk change..

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I finally upgraded my setup at home, and installed a new copy of WinXP
>Pro. Unfortunately there's one thing that annoys the shite out of me
>at the moment (amongst others).
>
>At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
>set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
>"Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
>opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
>that!
>
>I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
>can't remember how I did it.
>
>Can someone please refresh my memory?
>
>Cheers,
>Dany.

The other thing is to use Powerdesk..

Lebowski

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I finally upgraded my setup at home, and installed a new copy of WinXP
> Pro. Unfortunately there's one thing that annoys the shite out of me
> at the moment (amongst others).
>
> At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
> set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
> "Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
> opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
> that!
>
> I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
> can't remember how I did it.
>
> Can someone please refresh my memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

I quite enjoy that particular feature. After all, if I stick a cd in the
drive, chances are I want to do something with it, right? I didn't stick it
in there to just sit there and do nothing. Usually I'll want to at least
browse it.

That said, good old Google returned the following link which may be of
assistance:
http://oldlook.experts-exchange.com/..._20695061.html

If you have Tweak UI for XP, you can disable autorun/autoplay without
manually altering the registry. Qute easy that way.

E. Scrooge

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I finally upgraded my setup at home, and installed a new copy of WinXP
> Pro. Unfortunately there's one thing that annoys the shite out of me
> at the moment (amongst others).
>
> At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
> set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
> "Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
> opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
> that!
>
> I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
> can't remember how I did it.
>
> Can someone please refresh my memory?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Can't you just tick the box that says "always do the selected action" -
choosing also to "Take no action" of course?
Then next time if the checked box has worked, you shouldn't see it asking
you what to do after a CD has been put in it.

E. Scrooge

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

In message <brgvtr$o58$(E-Mail Removed)>, "E. Scrooge"
<(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote:

>Can't you just tick the box that says "always do the selected action" -
>choosing also to "Take no action" of course?
>Then next time if the checked box has worked, you shouldn't see it asking
>you what to do after a CD has been put in it.

Depends on the CD. I have a similar problem with my digital camera.
It's set to do nothing if it has images OR video clips on it, but if
it has "mixed content" (even when that content is consistently of only
two types, both of which I have told it to ignore) XP insists on
asking me what to do with it.

Stumpy.
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh Timaru, New Zealand
<http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/>

Tim

Dany P. Wu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
> set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
> "Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
> opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
> that!
>
> I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
> can't remember how I did it.
>
> Can someone please refresh my memory?

The nice no registry editing way of doing this (that does not break voume
name updating) is fairly simple:

Start->Run
type "gpedit.msc" and push enter
This will run the Group Policy Editor (very handy tool)
The setting you are looking for is under
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System
It is called "Turn off Autoplay" - double click on it, select enabled and
choose either All Drives or CD-Rom Drives from the drop down list depending
on your preference.

HTH

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

The Flash

XP is like a young child, "Mummy can I have juice"??

"No, you have had enough to drink."

Child appears with a drink in hand.

"I told you not to have another drink!"

"But mommy this is rasberry cordial not orange!"

??

The same way XP ask the same question again and again and again...

"R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). co.nz...
> In message <brgvtr$o58$(E-Mail Removed)>, "E. Scrooge"
> <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote:
>
> >Can't you just tick the box that says "always do the selected action" -
> >choosing also to "Take no action" of course?
> >Then next time if the checked box has worked, you shouldn't see it asking
> >you what to do after a CD has been put in it.

> Depends on the CD. I have a similar problem with my digital camera.
> It's set to do nothing if it has images OR video clips on it, but if
> it has "mixed content" (even when that content is consistently of only
> two types, both of which I have told it to ignore) XP insists on
> asking me what to do with it.
>
> Stumpy.
> --
> R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh Timaru, New Zealand
> <http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/>

Stuart

"Dumdedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
> >set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
> >"Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
> >opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
> >that!
> >
> >I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
> >can't remember how I did it.

> I had to patch a Registry Entry but the side affect is that the Volume

name no
> longer shows, and some times does not register a disk change..

You said that was an XP bug on the 10th...

"Dumdedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:44:13 GMT, Rob Singers

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Acetyldehyde startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words
> >of wisdom
> >
> >> My Windows XP explorer CD drive icons dont refresh. After the disc is
> >> ejected the disc icon and name remains even if I brwse the contents of
> >> a new CD.
> >> Frustrating!!!

> >From memory if you get the XP version of TweakUI you can repair the icon
> >cache and it fixes the problem.

> Not in this case I think you will find, its a XP Bug..

Nathan Mercer

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I finally upgraded my setup at home, and installed a new copy of WinXP
> Pro. Unfortunately there's one thing that annoys the shite out of me
> at the moment (amongst others).
>
> At the moment XP insists on checking every CD I put in the drive. I've
> set all the default actions (i.e. for Audio CD, Picture CD, etc) to
> "Take no action". Unfortunately XP still scans these disks and now
> opens a window to let me browse the content. I don't want it to do
> that!
>
> I've disabled this on my old machine but it was so long ago that I
> can't remember how I did it.

Try disabling it with the Windows XP Powertoys

Computer woes madrigal02 Software 0 03-28-2007 11:14 AM
my computer woes...help please (sorry it's long) fibs Computer Support 10 10-04-2005 10:43 AM
Computer Wire Woes... MarkČ Digital Photography 20 11-22-2004 11:08 AM
New computer woes goldigit Computer Support 8 04-07-2004 11:44 PM
Re: FREE computer woes Syphillus A+ Certification 0 12-26-2003 11:51 PM

Advertisments