Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 120G HDD Partitions

120G HDD Partitions

BazTarD

Dudes (and Dudetts)
Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
How do I go about partitioning it?
Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
Any idea's???

TIA.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 14 Dec 2003, BazTarD wrote

> Dudes (and Dudetts)
> Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
> How do I go about partitioning it?
> Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
> Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
> Any idea's???
>
> TIA.

Download the new and improved version of FDISK from µsoft?

--
Nicolaas.

- From the Department of Redundancy Department

~misfit~

BazTarD wrote:
> Dudes (and Dudetts)
> Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
> How do I go about partitioning it?
> Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
> Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
> Any idea's???

LOL, I've just been through this. 98SE fdisk only saw my 80GB as 10 or so.
You need to boot from a 98SE start-up disk with a later version of
fdisk.exe. I have the exe here if you want me to email it to you, then you
just delete the old one and copy this one over. It works a treat.

You want I should email it? (and remove the _not from your addy). Some kind
soul here gave it to me. It's only 64Kb.
--
~misfit~

XPD

"BazTarD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OINCb.28445$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dudes (and Dudetts)
> Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
> How do I go about partitioning it?
> Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
> Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
> Any idea's???
>
> TIA.

Personally, any systems I build these days, I refuse to install anything
less than Win2k on them... 98/SE/ME just seem to have issues with newer
hardware. That IMHO anyway. Others may differ.

Also, remember when 98/SE were released, 120gb drives for the standard
consumer were pretty much unheard of, so wouldnt surprise me if MS skimped
on adding support for them

Russell Smithies

BazTarD wrote:
> Dudes (and Dudetts)
> Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
> How do I go about partitioning it?
> Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
> Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
> Any idea's???
>
> TIA.

I have mine as 1 x 10GB (with XP on it) and 4 x 25GB with other stuff.
120GB drives seem to only format to 112GB.
I think there's something odd about cluster sizes on partitions over 40GB?

Russell

BazTarD

Yes Please!!!!!

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:7aOCb.28464$(E-Mail Removed)...
> BazTarD wrote:
> > Dudes (and Dudetts)
> > Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
> > How do I go about partitioning it?
> > Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
> > Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
> > Any idea's???

> LOL, I've just been through this. 98SE fdisk only saw my 80GB as 10 or so.
> You need to boot from a 98SE start-up disk with a later version of
> fdisk.exe. I have the exe here if you want me to email it to you, then you
> just delete the old one and copy this one over. It works a treat.
>
> You want I should email it? (and remove the _not from your addy). Some

kind
> soul here gave it to me. It's only 64Kb.
> --
> ~misfit~

~misfit~

BazTarD wrote:
> Yes Please!!!!!

Ok, doing it now.
--
~misfit~

> "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
> news:7aOCb.28464$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> BazTarD wrote:
>>> Dudes (and Dudetts)
>>> Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
>>> How do I go about partitioning it?
>>> Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
>>> Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
>>> Any idea's???

>> LOL, I've just been through this. 98SE fdisk only saw my 80GB as 10
>> or so. You need to boot from a 98SE start-up disk with a later
>> version of fdisk.exe. I have the exe here if you want me to email it
>> to you, then you just delete the old one and copy this one over. It
>> works a treat.
>>
>> You want I should email it? (and remove the _not from your addy).
>> Some kind soul here gave it to me. It's only 64Kb.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

Dave Taylor

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:HSOCb.28501$(E-Mail Removed):

> 120GB drives seem to only format to 112GB

That is usually because of the counting method used by hard drive
manufactures. It is the old 1024 bits make a byte, but not in hard drives
story.
Ciao, Dave

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 14 Dec 2003, Dave Taylor wrote

> It is the old 1024 bits make a byte,

Uhh .... they DO? Oh, my!

--
Nicolaas.

- From the Department of Redundancy Department

Jerry

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:56:43 GMT, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:HSOCb.28501$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> 120GB drives seem to only format to 112GB

>That is usually because of the counting method used by hard drive
>manufactures. It is the old 1024 bits make a byte, but not in hard drives
>story.
>Ciao, Dave

8 bits make a byte, in most modern PCs anyway, in the RAM or the HDD.
Some extra bits if you have parity or ECC.

Jerry