Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Imported Digital Camera

Imported Digital Camera

John

In the market for a digital camera, and I've short-listed down to four
cameras.

Checking internet sites show that I can save around $200 dollars on
RRP of $1300. This would still get me an NZ sourced camera with local
warranty, but means that I would need to return the camera if anything
goes wrong under warranty. Not sure if that means return back to the
dealer, or to the original NZ supplier.

However, there is a firm in Auckland http//www.etown.co.nz that is
even cheaper, with one camera that I'm interested in showing at $939
against $1299 RRP (plus extras).

Their address is shown as:
Queens Arcade,
34 Queen Street,
Auckland.

The only thing stopping me from purchasing from Etown is that they
import direct from overseas.

Apart from checking that the camera comes with all normal accessories,
and what the warranty conditions are if any, is there anything else I
should be aware of with imported cameras?

Has anyone in the group purchased from this firm?

Any advice, or recommendations, would be appreciated.

Regards,
John.

KS

> Checking internet sites show that I can save around $200 dollars on
> RRP of $1300. This would still get me an NZ sourced camera with local
> warranty, but means that I would need to return the camera if anything
> goes wrong under warranty. Not sure if that means return back to the
> dealer, or to the original NZ supplier.

Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago, they
had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
assembled camera, and not need a warranty.

For another gamble, you can import some cameras directly into NZ for US
based shops, and save even more.

www.bhphotovideo.com is one well known shop in New York that ships
internationally.

> The only thing stopping me from purchasing from Etown is that they
> import direct from overseas.

Well technically everyone is importing from overseas ! But, they key to
warranties is the wording. Minolta for example offer a world
wide/international warranty. However it turns out that Minolta USA won't
honour warranties for cameras purchased overseas then brought back to the
USA. The camera would have to go back to the source for warranty - if you go
to rec.photo.digital for some intersting reads about this and other so
called international warranties and tips for digital photography.

Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

Peter S

"KS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brfv75$js$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Checking internet sites show that I can save around $200 dollars on
> > RRP of $1300. This would still get me an NZ sourced camera with local
> > warranty, but means that I would need to return the camera if anything
> > goes wrong under warranty. Not sure if that means return back to the
> > dealer, or to the original NZ supplier.

> Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago,

they
> had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
> into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
> assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
> assembled camera, and not need a warranty.
>
> For another gamble, you can import some cameras directly into NZ for US
> based shops, and save even more.
>
> www.bhphotovideo.com is one well known shop in New York that ships
> internationally.
>
> > The only thing stopping me from purchasing from Etown is that they
> > import direct from overseas.

> Well technically everyone is importing from overseas ! But, they key to
> warranties is the wording. Minolta for example offer a world
> wide/international warranty. However it turns out that Minolta USA won't
> honour warranties for cameras purchased overseas then brought back to the
> USA. The camera would have to go back to the source for warranty - if you

go
> to rec.photo.digital for some intersting reads about this and other so
> called international warranties and tips for digital photography.
>
> Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
> have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
> simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

Cameras are the one thing you can negotiate on easily. Find the cheapest
price you can, print out the evidence, and then go to your local shop with
that evidence and they will match or better the price. You will get the
warranty. This, of course won't work on overseas prices. I've never really
seen any overseas price that are substantially lower than what you can get
here with negotiation.

Cameras are one thing where you shouldn't shop by the published prices at
all.

Pete.

(Just got a good deal on a G5 this way!)

John

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:

<snip>

> Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago, they
> had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
> into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
> assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
> assembled camera, and not need a warranty.

The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
warranty.
As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
okay.
I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
the reply.

> Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
> have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
> simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews

The cameras that I started out interested in:
Olympus C-750
Kodak DX4690
Fuji S5000
Minolta Z1
Panasonic DMC FZ-10
I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
preference

Regards,
John.

John

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:43:47 +1300, Peter S wrote:

<snip>

> Cameras are the one thing you can negotiate on easily. Find the cheapest
> price you can, print out the evidence, and then go to your local shop with
> that evidence and they will match or better the price. You will get the
> warranty. This, of course won't work on overseas prices. I've never really
> seen any overseas price that are substantially lower than what you can get
> here with negotiation.

Are you saying that if I went to camera web site that sold only NZ
sourced items, printed out the purchase price, then visited my local
camera shop they would match the price?

I know that most places will match other retail outlets in price, but
somehow doubt that would apply to web site prices

Regards,
John.

Russell Smithies

John wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks
>> ago, they had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the
>> warranty simply falls into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a
>> camera that has been poorly assembled and you'll need the warranty.
>> Or you'll end up with a superbly assembled camera, and not need a
>> warranty.

> The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
> I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
> warranty.
> As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
> okay.
> I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
> the reply.
>
>> Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ?
>> They have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing
>> against simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

> Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews
>
> The cameras that I started out interested in:
> Olympus C-750
> Kodak DX4690
> Fuji S5000
> Minolta Z1
> Panasonic DMC FZ-10
> I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
> Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
> quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
> preference
>
> Regards,
> John.

I've got a C-750 and it's a great camera.
I only paid $1100 for it in NZ. (came with nicads and charger, bag and 128MB
xD card)
How much are you going to save by importing it?

Russell

sal

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:16:54 +1300, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:43:47 +1300, Peter S wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Cameras are the one thing you can negotiate on easily. Find the cheapest
>> price you can, print out the evidence, and then go to your local shop with
>> that evidence and they will match or better the price. You will get the
>> warranty. This, of course won't work on overseas prices. I've never really
>> seen any overseas price that are substantially lower than what you can get
>> here with negotiation.

>Are you saying that if I went to camera web site that sold only NZ
>sourced items, printed out the purchase price, then visited my local
>camera shop they would match the price?
>
>I know that most places will match other retail outlets in price, but
>somehow doubt that would apply to web site prices
>
>Regards,
>John.

It depends, E-town sources parallel imported products so local
retailers probably wouldn't match their price. Personally I would not
buy a parallel imported digitial camera, as it won't be supported by
the NZ distributer, and would probably have to be sent overseas for
servicing.
I have found that many online retailers of cameras are quite close
to the shop price anyway.

KS

Russell Smithies wrote:
> I've got a C-750 and it's a great camera.
> I only paid $1100 for it in NZ. (came with nicads and charger, bag
> and 128MB xD card)
> How much are you going to save by importing it?

Not a lot.

B&H PhotoVideo in NYC offer the same for US$500 = NZ$$780 ish (using xe.com)
+ NZ$120 FedEx delivery to the door = NZ$900

But with some of the higher end products, you can save a considerable amount
of money. Is the warranty worth it (or lack of)? To some people, yes. To me,
no.

My DiMAGE 7Hi ended up costing me $1,000 in all, incl a 256mb card. Camera &
Camera list theirs at $1,999 . I use them as an example becase Etown and
other similar parallel importers don't stock the 7Hi, only the A1.

KS

> The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
> I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
> The cameras that I started out interested in:
> Olympus C-750
> Kodak DX4690
> Fuji S5000
> Minolta Z1
> Panasonic DMC FZ-10

Yes, I also went through a similar process not long ago ! Have you had a
change to get a hands on play with any of them ?

I disliked the Kodak because of the proprietary battery and lack of manual
focus. The Fuji felt like a toy in my hands, as did the Z1. A Coolpix 5700
was looking great, but a high cost. So I ended up with a Minolta
DiMAGE7Hi....mmmmm..... hard to type while drooling

Simply a superb camera.

PBase.com have people that are changing their digital cameras quite
regularly and sell some quite cheap. Naturally as a 2nd hand camera it
doesn't quite have the prestige of a new camera (but then being 2nd hand,
it's probably a little more scuffed and used which means you're more likely
to use it and htrow it around, rather than something so shiny and new) but
there's some good prices there.

There's some great photography ideas in some people's galleries too.

But from all accounts, the C750 will certainly do a great job for only a
resonable capital outlay.

Then go to http://www.tawbaware.com/ and get some great stuff. Panorama is
fun, but Image Stacker is the very very best thing ever invented !

Dumdedo

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:08:24 +1300, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:10:12 +1300, KS wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>> Etown do have some good prices. I was in their shop about 3 weeks ago, they
>> had a good stock on hand, and good prices. And the warranty simply falls
>> into a gamble. Either you'll end up with a camera that has been poorly
>> assembled and you'll need the warranty. Or you'll end up with a superbly
>> assembled camera, and not need a warranty.

>The camera that caught my interest from Etown is the Olympus C-750.
>I've contacted the firm via email and they state a twelve months
>warranty.
>As for the assembly, I would image any new Olympus camera would be
>okay.
>I've re contacted Etown and asked further questions, just waiting for
>the reply.
>
>> Have you checked out your wish camera at http://www.dpreview.com/ ? They
>> have some detailed reviews, shooting test shots and comparing against
>> simialr cameras. Makes for a good read.

>Sure have, plus just about every other site that gives reviews
>
>The cameras that I started out interested in:
>Olympus C-750
>Kodak DX4690
>Fuji S5000
>Minolta Z1
>Panasonic DMC FZ-10
>I've now more, or less, narrowed this down to the Olympus, and the
>Panasonic. With the Panasonic being first pick - however, there is
>quite a price gap between the two so any real good bargain would take
>preference
>
>Regards,
>John.

If it does not have a Electronic Viewfinder just forget it, as the LCD
displays are no good in direct sunlight..