Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > booting with no graphics card...

booting with no graphics card...

Paul Gunson

is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards installed...?
i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
for extra components like video cards....

T.N.O.

Paul Gunson wrote:
> is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards installed...?
> i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
> would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
> for extra components like video cards....

Mine(Tyan Tiger MP) supports booting completly headless.

Gurble

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:47:58 +1300, Paul Gunson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards installed...?
>i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
>would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
>for extra components like video cards....

Are you serious?

Firstly, no, most motherboards will not boot with no graphics card
(although some will).

Secondly, you're going to fork out $1000+ for a couple of AthlonMPs
and suitable board, and you're trying to scrooge on ~$40 for a cheapo
graphics card?

T.N.O.

Gurble wrote:
>>is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards installed...?
>>i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
>>would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
>>for extra components like video cards....

> Firstly, no, most motherboards will not boot with no graphics card
> (although some will).
> Secondly, you're going to fork out $1000+ for a couple of AthlonMPs
> and suitable board, and you're trying to scrooge on ~$40 for a cheapo
> graphics card?

If wanting to rack mount them(and say rack space is tight) then vga
cards or the angled adapters are expensive... either way, most if not
all Athlon MP boards will run headless.

Paul Gunson

T.N.O. wrote:

> Paul Gunson wrote:
>
>> is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards
>> installed...? i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes
>> soon... they would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to
>> have to pay for extra components like video cards....

> Mine(Tyan Tiger MP) supports booting completly headless.

where did u buy your tiger from...? i can only see the tyan thunder MPX
on ascent.... (expensive). it would be good to compare the prices of
tigers Vs the MSI MPX boards which we are considering.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:25:04 +1300, Gurble wrote:

> Firstly, no, most motherboards will not boot with no graphics card
> (although some will).

Huh? I guess the 20 linux boxes we have doing this are wierd items then.

> Secondly, you're going to fork out $1000+ for a couple of AthlonMPs
> and suitable board, and you're trying to scrooge on ~$40 for a cheapo
> graphics card?

Given our experience with AthlonMPs, I'd say don't bother. We just
returned the lot and paid some extra money to get p4 xeon duals.

MP2000 duals getting outrun by p3-1200 duals and p4-1800 singles is not a
good look.

Paul Gunson

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> Given our experience with AthlonMPs, I'd say don't bother. We just
> returned the lot and paid some extra money to get p4 xeon duals.
>
> MP2000 duals getting outrun by p3-1200 duals and p4-1800 singles is not a
> good look.

just out of curiosity r u using max or mayb xsi...? on windows with maya
this would never happen... with maya our AMD chips cain the flabby arse
of their intel counterparts. seriously... this is common knowledge in
the maya community. unless it is a linux issue mayb...?

T.N.O.

Paul Gunson wrote:
>> Mine(Tyan Tiger MP) supports booting completly headless.

> where did u buy your tiger from...? i can only see the tyan thunder MPX
> on ascent.... (expensive). it would be good to compare the prices of
> tigers Vs the MSI MPX boards which we are considering.

I got mine from www.pcgear.co.nz
The MPX can be had from there for ~$400 trade(last time I checked{ages
ago}), dont know what it is retail sorry.