Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > $1500 computer

$1500 computer

Gordon

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:07:59 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

> The needs of each user are completely different and always need to be
> considered when someone is after a basic package that will do far more than
> they will most likely ever do on it anyway.

Bulls eye. Now what are the orginal poster Mother's need?

Gordon

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:52:31 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

Scrooge wrote

>> Only in your opinion.

> Obviously. Do I need to write that in my sig? Most people here are speaking
> in their own opinion. Aren't you?

Misfit, what Scrooge is saying by this is, I disgaree with your viewpoint.

The words should not always be taken at face value, eg Are you all right?
, Do you need help? In situations in which it is *clear* that the answer
is No and Yes.

Craig Sutton

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:07:59 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
>
> > The needs of each user are completely different and always need to be
> > considered when someone is after a basic package that will do far more

than
> > they will most likely ever do on it anyway.

> Bulls eye. Now what are the orginal poster Mother's need?

Excel,, Word, Internet, Digital photo stuff..

Her machine at work is an athlon 1.4ghz 512megs etc, Xp etc

E. Scrooge

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:07:59 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
>
> > The needs of each user are completely different and always need to be
> > considered when someone is after a basic package that will do far more

than
> > they will most likely ever do on it anyway.

> Bulls eye. Now what are the orginal poster Mother's need?

And that is the bottm line of what it all comes down to. Some people get a
PC just so that they've got one, I know people that used their new PC bugger
all for the first 2 years, and now it hardly gets used at all now. They
don't bother with the Net, and as for emails, they hardly ever reply to any
that are sent to them. Of course some older people use their PCs a lot more
often, but nothing that intensive that a system half the size couldn't
manage.
Having 256MB of RAM is hardly gutless when system that shared video were
being sold with only 64MB RAM not that long ago.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:r8sCb.27463$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
> > ~misfit~ wrote:

> >> Case: Trendy tower case, 400W PSU (Not the best but cheap) $48 QMB

> > <snip>
> >> Mouse: MS Optical wheel mouse. $36. OEM

> > You forgot:
> >
> > 1-2 hours putting together andinstalling software - $120

> This *is* nz.comp, I, probably wrongly, assumed a certain skill level, as

in
> he may be able to build it for his ma.
> --
> ~misfit~

For under a grand with a 17" monitor and Window XP included in his complete
DIY system? That's damn good going. Only by bulk marketing can such
systems be sold so cheap. The profit from 2,000 units eventually make it
quite worthwhile, and won't take to forever to come in.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:JvsCb.27483$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
> > news:kYjCb.27105$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Case: Trendy tower case, 400W PSU (Not the best but cheap) $48 QMB
> >>
> >> Mobo: Soltek SL-75MRN. nForce2 chipset, integrated GeForce4 MX440
> >> graphics, sound and LAN. $186 QMB
> >>
> >> CPU: AMD Barton 2500+ retail pack. $176 E-One
> >>
> >> HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7,200rpm, ATA100. $132 OEM
> >>
> >> RAM: TwinMOS 512MB DDR400 PC3200. $176 OEM
> >>
> >> Monitor: AOC 17" LCD. $647. E-One
> >>
> >> Mouse: MS Optical wheel mouse. $36. OEM
> >>
> >> There's a good starting point for you, $1,405 so far inc. GST. The
> >> Soltek is a good mobo, I've just built a machine using it. You just
> >> need a keyboard and speakers and a CD-ROM maybe and you'll just
> >> about hit your price-point. No OS though, XP Pro OEM version is
> >> about $300. You could always forget the LCD monitor and get a 17"
> >> CRT and still come in well below your $1,500.
> >>
> >> You just got to put it together.
> >>
> >> If you want value and power for money AMD CPU/nForce2 chipset mobo
> >> is where it's at. If you need XP as well as an LCD then for that
> >> sort of money get a Dell (Hell) Celeron and within a year it'll be
> >> too slow to do anything on and next to inpossible to upgrade. The
> >> above system has twice the power, both CPU and graphics.
> >> --
> >> ~misfit~

> > Only in your opinion.

> Obviously. Do I need to write that in my sig? Most people here are

speaking
> in their own opinion. Aren't you?
>
> > Many people are still using far older PCs than
> > that. When it comes to real power your needs will never be met. The
> > carrot will always be well out of your reach.

> No harm in trying though is there?
>
> > Your little system doesn't come with a CD of Windows and MS Works
> > which doesn't take a lot of grunt in order to get some use out of.

> I suggested an option using a CRT and an OEM version of XP Pro which does
> come on a CD, strangely enough. An OEM version of Works, including Word

and
> Money, can be had for around $120 if bought at the same time.
>
> The OP said he wanted XP Pro, minimum spec. Very, very few budget systems
> come with Pro. He also said P4 2.4. Why is that do you think? What makes
> your suggestion of a <spew> Celeron system running XP Home any more valid
> than my suggestion?
>
> > And support for home built kitset PC would be damn near crap which
> > would be next to useless for an older person that doesn't want to be
> > buggered around with.

> What support do you need? Most, if not all hardware has at least a year
> warranty. What support do you think the Warehouse is going to offer with
> that Dell you mentioned? If the PC is built by a knowledgable person the
> only support that may be needed is training. Not many retailers offer

that,
> especially at $1,500. You reckon you can ring the Warehouse and get them

> walk you through setting up OE for email and newsgroups?
>
> > The needs of each user are completely different
> > and always need to be considered when someone is after a basic
> > package that will do far more than they will most likely ever do on
> > it anyway.

> Agreed. However, what's to say his mother isn't going to suddenly discover
> the joys of gaming? I know a few older people with time on their hands who
> have bought a budget machine and found themselves wanting to play a game
> that their PC isn't capable of. I was merely offering an option that would
> help to prevent this scenario.
>
> The OP asked for "any suggestions" and I gave him one. I guess next time I
> should check with you first.
> --
> ~misfit~

Good lad, only too happy to help you back on the right track should anything
not sound quite right.

E. Scrooge

~misfit~

Gordon wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:52:31 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> Scrooge wrote
>
>>> Only in your opinion.

>> Obviously. Do I need to write that in my sig? Most people here are
>> speaking in their own opinion. Aren't you?

> Misfit, what Scrooge is saying by this is, I disgaree with your
> viewpoint.
>
> The words should not always be taken at face value, eg Are you all
> right? , Do you need help? In situations in which it is *clear* that
> the answer is No and Yes.

Point taken.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

E. Scrooge

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brdvt8$ili$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
> news:brd9uc$3ul$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:brc9eq$6vn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
> > >
> > > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video

fine.
> > > LCD monitor would be great as well..
> > > P4 2.4ghz
> > > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

> > As long as it's for your mum, and she doesn't plan to do any heavy

gaming
> > etc. The Warehouse (not their Staionary stores, but the red barns
> > themselves have a cheap DELL system for $1,000

> Looked at that its crap. Limited 256megs, win xp home etc

Not completely useless though, it really depends on her true needs. It
wouldn't take much to add more RAM to it if she finds that she needs it,
anayway.

> 17" standard monitor which is
> > a far cry from a 15" thing that were once quite common. And if your mum
> > isn't going to spend all day and all night on it, a large standard

monitor
> > should be just fine.

> The LCD was for space reasons

That's fair enough. They do look neater.

> > Looks like these things actuallly come with a CD copy of Windows going

by
> > the ad - along with MS Works V7.0. It would suit the needs of most

> lighter
> > users.
> >
> > Depends on her needs... and better still if you're going to be paying

for
> > something that might get used only an our a day on average - in that

case
> go
> > for a 3 grand moderate power package that you can get the most use out

of
> > while keeping your mum off it.

> No I will be picking up my own new machine next year. The $1500 box was
> going to be a christmas gift. Her Compaq 566mhz celeron laptops just a bit
> past its useby date so she wants a desktop.

If she's going to be doing much the same as what she could do on the little
laptop, which would hardly have 512MB RAM, might only have 128MB - she would
still be taking quite set up. As you know RAM gets cheaper all the time and
is easy enough to add more if needed.

The market is better than ever though, you won't have much trouble in
finding something that suits your needs without costing the world for it.
Bound to be plenty of Christmas specials to choose from over the next 2
weeks.

E. Scrooge

Craig Sutton

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:bre7d5$oe2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Having 256MB of RAM is hardly gutless when system that shared video were
> being sold with only 64MB RAM not that long ago.

Time moves on scrooge, newer programs need more ram, XP will eat whatever
you throw at it. No sense going for an under specced system.

Craig Sutton

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:bre8dq$p4d$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Looked at that its crap. Limited 256megs, win xp home etc

> Not completely useless though, it really depends on her true needs. It
> wouldn't take much to add more RAM to it if she finds that she needs it,
> anayway.

Well talking about spending $1500 it can have the 512megs from the start.

> If she's going to be doing much the same as what she could do on the

little
> laptop, which would hardly have 512MB RAM, might only have 128MB - she

would
> still be taking quite set up. As you know RAM gets cheaper all the time

and
> is easy enough to add more if needed.

The Notebook has 192megs, but as usual with 32 megs shared video its nowhere
near enough ram even on good old win 98se.

> The market is better than ever though, you won't have much trouble in
> finding something that suits your needs without costing the world for it.
> Bound to be plenty of Christmas specials to choose from over the next 2
> weeks.

yeah will get Mark at Paradigm to assemble something