Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Warehouse selling Dell

Warehouse selling Dell

Dumdedo

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:58:03 +1300, sal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:04:47 +1300, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>>>Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
>>>system.

>>Yeah, but try asking the Warehouse if you can have a floppy drive added. DIY
>>will void the warranty.
>>

>If it is installed by a computer professional, it shouldn't be a
>problem, as long as you have documentation that it has been done using
>a professional. I mean computers are made to be upgraded, and it isn't
>as though you can take the computer into a Dell shop and get it done.
>I had an issue with getting a new card added to my computer, and then
>something going wrong with something else in the computer, and the
>computer shop weren't going to honour the warranty, until I showed
>them documentation that the new card had been installed by a
>professional with the right qualifications.

You can't even fit one the case has no option for it..

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Lebowski wrote:

> I see they have a shitty integrated video card that is shared with the 256mb
> of main memory - a stupid idea since XP really does need a minimum of 256meg
> to kick some mild-mannered ass. What's going to happen when someone tries to
> play a game on it? Slide-show city. Hmmm.

Assuming its a direct-x game, yeah, but you dont buy a $1k PC for gaming
capabilities.

> Does anyone know if these Dell systems from The Warehouse have an AGP slot?
> If yes, I could recommend this system to a friend who is currently in the
> market for his first home computer, but if no, I can advise him to steer
> well clear of it.

May do, most boards with onboard vid seem to have agp.

Gordon

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

> "Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!)

> are
>> selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

> guarantee
>>

> At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and now
> $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years ago
> when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards of
the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
$3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW!

> Better for some people to go there than to pay far too much for a basic
> system from Noel Leeming.

This is an important point, another player has strolled onto the playing
field and is kicking the competitors' wallet. This is good for the
consumer, it also means that the PC has entered the everyday world of
buying at the Warehouse. By product is that MS windows will be sold to
many buyers, who to date, have no choice.

We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
done without any interest in how the machine does the task.

In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too good
to be true by the ones of 1993.

texan@texas.removethisbit.usa.com

wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:33:06 +1300, sal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:55:13 +1300, "BB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Dell = No FDD,
>>>
>>>though for some this isn't an issue.
>>>
>>>BB
>>>NZ

>>Only $25 if you need one, haven't ever used mine since I got my new
>>system.

>Yeah, but try asking the Warehouse if you can have a floppy drive added. DIY
>will void the warranty.

Not necessarily.
I have a Dell here in the US and had a SCSI card installed after
checking installing it would not void the warranty.

Dell USA no longer supply floppy drives with new machines unless you
ask for one.

I am not a big fan of Dell after having two hdd failures this year
[one 3 months after the second one was installed] and two days ago,
having nearly every major part replaced. It is still not operating
correctly - with 4 days to go on the warranty.

Trying to deal with the techs in India is not only time consuming but
**extremely** fraustrating.

Dell USA have recently reverted to tech services being re-established
in the US for their business customers after the many many complaints.
IMHO, hopefully, it's only a matter of time before they revert home
consumer services also back to the US.

My very cheap [US$300] e-machine is much more reliable than this
US$1400 odd Dell.

Cath

Dumdedo

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:38:43 +1300, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
>

>> "Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a bargain!)

>> are
>>> selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

>> guarantee
>>>

>> At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and now
>> $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years ago
>> when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

>Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards of
>the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
>$3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW!
>
>> Better for some people to go there than to pay far too much for a basic
>> system from Noel Leeming.

>This is an important point, another player has strolled onto the playing
>field and is kicking the competitors' wallet. This is good for the
>consumer, it also means that the PC has entered the everyday world of
>buying at the Warehouse. By product is that MS windows will be sold to
>many buyers, who to date, have no choice.
>
>We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
>PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
>done without any interest in how the machine does the task.
>
>In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too good
>to be true by the ones of 1993.

Yes then they try to play games on it..

cowboyz

"Dumdedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:38:43 +1300, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
> >

> >> "Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

bargain!)
> >> are
> >> guarantee
> >>>

> >> At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and

now
> >> $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years

ago
> >> when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

> >Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards

of
> >the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
> >$3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW!

I have a couple of mates who have put together XP2200+ for under $1200 in
the last week or so. Just damn amazing! It was only 8 or 9 months ago I
paid $1400 for board, XP2100, 256 ram, GF4MX460 video, case and I thought
that was good at the time.

<snip>

> >We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
> >PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
> >done without any interest in how the machine does the task.
> >
> >In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too

good
> >to be true by the ones of 1993.

or even 1997. You don't have to go back 10 years to find expensive
computers. I paid $700 for my Tbird 800 when it was the lastest and
greatest thing. I wouldn't consider paying that much for a CPU now and yet
on my list AMD's best offering is two thirds the price! (I am referring to
XP3000+ at $478 which happens to be the best AMD CPU on my list)

> Yes then they try to play games on it..

Maybe they have a PS2 or Xbox for that?

E. Scrooge

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:14:09 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
>

> > "Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Saw an ad on Prime tonight, the Warehouse (where everyone gets a

bargain!)
> > are
> >> selling a 2.4 Celery for $999.99. Wonder who'll handle the money back

> > guarantee
> >>

> > At a rough guess the same outfit that guarantees their $1,000 TVs and

now
> > $2,000 Sanyo video projectors. Was such a deal possible over 10 years

ago
> > when the cheapest PC was about 3 grand?

> Bit of spin here Scrooge. $3K bought you a good system by the standards of
> the day. The $1K version at the Warehouse run rings around round the
> $3K model of 1993. Factor in inflation and WOW!
>
> > Better for some people to go there than to pay far too much for a basic
> > system from Noel Leeming.

> This is an important point, another player has strolled onto the playing
> field and is kicking the competitors' wallet. This is good for the
> consumer, it also means that the PC has entered the everyday world of
> buying at the Warehouse. By product is that MS windows will be sold to
> many buyers, who to date, have no choice.
>
> We are all savy PC users here, we are not Joe and Jane Blow, who use the
> PC in much the same way as they use a washing machine, to get something
> done without any interest in how the machine does the task.
>
> In this light $1K is good value, by todyas standards and amazing, too good
> to be true by the ones of 1993.

In 93 basic systems struggled with damn near anything, they got things done
but very slowly and not without the far more common crash compared to
today's more reliable systems.
At 1 grand with 17" monitor and XP they're getting damn good value all
right.

E. Scrooge

Lebowski

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brdtd7$gq7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lebowski wrote:
>
> > I see they have a shitty integrated video card that is shared with the

256mb
> > of main memory - a stupid idea since XP really does need a minimum of

256meg
> > to kick some mild-mannered ass. What's going to happen when someone

tries to
> > play a game on it? Slide-show city. Hmmm.

> Assuming its a direct-x game, yeah, but you dont buy a $1k PC for gaming
> capabilities.
>
> > Does anyone know if these Dell systems from The Warehouse have an AGP

slot?
> > If yes, I could recommend this system to a friend who is currently in

the
> > market for his first home computer, but if no, I can advise him to steer
> > well clear of it.

> May do, most boards with onboard vid seem to have agp.

well it seems this particular model does not have AGP, therefore it's a
no-no. Ah well... :-/

Brendan

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:58:03 +1300, sal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>professional with the right qualifications.

Which are they ?

I'm still waiting for Gavin to fill me in on the mythical 'industry
standards'; you can fill me in on the 'right qualifications'.

--

....Brendan

Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.
J.K.Galbraith

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

sal

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:08:31 +1300, Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox
(dot com)> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:58:03 +1300, sal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>professional with the right qualifications.

>Which are they ?
>
>I'm still waiting for Gavin to fill me in on the mythical 'industry
>standards'; you can fill me in on the 'right qualifications'.

I suppose it is what the dispute tribunal would consider were
adequate. I am sure that there is a precedence for this scenario.