Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > program to organise pics

program to organise pics

cowboyz

just come back from (well earned) holiday and have some 250 pics that are
labelled P100000 to P100250.

I want to first sort them but content.

Was wondering if someone knew of a program that would show the thumbnail and
I could grab the thumbnail and drop it into a folder. Hopefully can have 3
or 4 folders on the right, for instance, and all the thumbnails to the left
and you just throw them inito their folder as if they were " real" photos.

what ya think? Is there a program like this you know of?

Jason M

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:28:27 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Was wondering if someone knew of a program that would show the thumbnail and
>I could grab the thumbnail and drop it into a folder. Hopefully can have 3
>or 4 folders on the right, for instance, and all the thumbnails to the left
>and you just throw them inito their folder as if they were " real" photos.
>
>what ya think? Is there a program like this you know of?

ThumbsPlus

http://www.cerious.com/

Lebowski

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br96as$lbs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> just come back from (well earned) holiday and have some 250 pics that are
> labelled P100000 to P100250.
>
> I want to first sort them but content.
>
> Was wondering if someone knew of a program that would show the thumbnail

and
> I could grab the thumbnail and drop it into a folder. Hopefully can have

3
> or 4 folders on the right, for instance, and all the thumbnails to the

left
> and you just throw them inito their folder as if they were " real" photos.
>
> what ya think? Is there a program like this you know of?

Presenting, the Right Honourable Windows Explorer! 2 windows side by side
~~~-> Window 1) left hand side: bunch of pics in thumbnail view; Window 2)
right-hand side: your folders. Drag and drop away

T.N.O.

Lebowski wrote:
> Presenting, the Right Honourable Windows Explorer! 2 windows side by side
> ~~~-> Window 1) left hand side: bunch of pics in thumbnail view; Window 2)
> right-hand side: your folders. Drag and drop away

heh, although this works... do yuo really believe the "right honourable"
is the correct name to use?

Lebowski

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lebowski wrote:
> > Presenting, the Right Honourable Windows Explorer! 2 windows side by

side
> > ~~~-> Window 1) left hand side: bunch of pics in thumbnail view; Window

2)
> > right-hand side: your folders. Drag and drop away

> heh, although this works... do yuo really believe the "right honourable"
> is the correct name to use?

hehe, well they apply it to our most-respected governmental figureheads,
don't they?

T.N.O.

Lebowski wrote:
>>>right-hand side: your folders. Drag and drop away

>>heh, although this works... do yuo really believe the "right honourable"
>>is the correct name to use?

> hehe, well they apply it to our most-respected governmental figureheads,
> don't they?

touche(add the little french thingy to the 'e'

Enkidu

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:28:27 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>just come back from (well earned) holiday and have some 250 pics that are
>labelled P100000 to P100250.
>
>I want to first sort them but content.
>
>Was wondering if someone knew of a program that would show the thumbnail and
>I could grab the thumbnail and drop it into a folder. Hopefully can have 3
>or 4 folders on the right, for instance, and all the thumbnails to the left
>and you just throw them inito their folder as if they were " real" photos.
>
>what ya think? Is there a program like this you know of?

I use jalbum to create webpages for my pics. It's very flexible. But I
use the built in thingee in XP for sorting them. Not good but it works
for small numbers (heh, but probably not for 250!!)

I used irfanview which might do some of what you want in conjunction
with explorer.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Don Hills

In article <3fd831af$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Presenting, the Right Honourable Windows Explorer! 2 windows side by side
>~~~-> Window 1) left hand side: bunch of pics in thumbnail view; Window 2)
>right-hand side: your folders. Drag and drop away

Personally, I use PMView (http://www.pmview.com).
I liked it enough to register it. It's more flexible, for example it allows
changing the thumbnail size. Pick a small size to get more thumbnails on the
screen when doing a general sort'n'toss, or a large size when previewing.

"I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-
national vendor, with a good office suite, excellent network/internet
software and decent hardware support."

GraB

ACDSee. There was a free version of ACDSee 3 on a CD some months ago.
I find that excellent.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:28:27 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>just come back from (well earned) holiday and have some 250 pics that are
>labelled P100000 to P100250.
>
>I want to first sort them but content.
>
>Was wondering if someone knew of a program that would show the thumbnail and
>I could grab the thumbnail and drop it into a folder. Hopefully can have 3
>or 4 folders on the right, for instance, and all the thumbnails to the left
>and you just throw them inito their folder as if they were " real" photos.
>
>what ya think? Is there a program like this you know of?

Craig Shore

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:59:15 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ACDSee. There was a free version of ACDSee 3 on a CD some months ago.
>I find that excellent.

I've been giving the latest one off their www site a try out, it's
quite good but takes bloody ages to initially load up. Something like
20 seconds. It displays the photos quickly after that.
There's a heap of features in it.