Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Upload speed of Jetstream home 256

Upload speed of Jetstream home 256

Chris Mayhew

Hi

Can't find this info on the telecom site or some ISP's I have been looking
to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up as well as
down or is the download speed limited ?

TIA

Russell Smithies

Chris Mayhew wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can't find this info on the telecom site or some ISP's I have been
> looking to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up
> as well as down or is the download speed limited ?
>
> TIA

both.
FTP's at about the same speed both ways

Russell

Max Quordlepleen

Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi
>
> Can't find this info on the telecom site or some ISP's I have been looking
> to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up as well as
> down or is the download speed limited ?
>
> TIA

It's supposed to be symmetrical, but my experience, of 3 weeks, is
that my average d/l speed is around 32Kbs, u/l around 23Kbs

--
Registered Linux User 297164
GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

Chris Mayhew

Max Quordlepleen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Can't find this info on the telecom site or some ISP's I have been
>> looking to change to. Really just want to know if you get 256Kbps up
>> as well as down or is the download speed limited ?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> It's supposed to be symmetrical, but my experience, of 3 weeks, is
> that my average d/l speed is around 32Kbs, u/l around 23Kbs

Thanks for your replies. Of course what I ment to say was "is the upload
speed limited ?" rather than "is the download speed limited ?" but I think
yo probably figured out my mistake.

Was wondering if the upload was limited to 128Kbps like the paradise cable
(use to be ?). Since this isn't the case I might just look into this a bit
further as it's only an extra $7 - $8 month for the 2,000MB plan (from
jetstarter). While I could probably save money by going on the 1,000 MB
plan you only need to go over by 50 MB (@ $0.20) to pay for the cost of the
2,000 MB plan.

Max Quordlepleen

Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Since this isn't the case I might just look into this a bit
> further as it's only an extra $7 - $8 month for the 2,000MB plan (from
> jetstarter). While I could probably save money by going on the 1,000 MB
> plan you only need to go over by 50 MB (@ $0.20) to pay for the cost of the
> 2,000 MB plan.

That was the choice I made. I checked my traffic usage for the last 12
months, found that the most I had used in one month was 2130MB, with an
average of 1200-1300MB, and decided that that 256K 2000MB plan was the
best tradeoff for me. I don't regret the choice.

--
Registered Linux User 297164
GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3
Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
http://maxqnz.com/References.html

SteveM

Max Quordlepleen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Since this isn't the case I might just look into this a bit
>> further as it's only an extra $7 - $8 month for the 2,000MB plan
>> (from jetstarter). While I could probably save money by going on the
>> 1,000 MB plan you only need to go over by 50 MB (@ $0.20) to pay for
>> the cost of the 2,000 MB plan.

> That was the choice I made. I checked my traffic usage for the last 12
> months, found that the most I had used in one month was 2130MB, with
> an average of 1200-1300MB, and decided that that 256K 2000MB plan was
> the best tradeoff for me. I don't regret the choice.

I am hesitant about changing plans from Jetstart due to my national traffic
being charged (by Paradise) at “only” 10% of the rate for international.
If I included that traffic in my calculations I would easily blow 2 Gig a
month. (I hope others have taken that into account)

SteveM

Max Quordlepleen

SteveM <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am hesitant about changing plans from Jetstart due to my national traffic
> being charged (by Paradise) at “only” 10% of the rate for international.
> If I included that traffic in my calculations I would easily blow 2 Gig a
> month. (I hope others have taken that into account)

For sure. If I were a gamer, or into P2P (neither of which I do at
all), then I wouldn't have been able to afford the 256K. Interestingly
enough, for the last 3 days, my d/l average has been up around 50KB/s,
and this afternoon I d/ld StarOffice7 for Linux, 117MB, at an average
speed of just over 120KB/s. I don't know why, but I certainly ain't
conmplaining.