Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows update....

Windows update....

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:56:28 +1300, Biggles wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas of the ports that need to be opened (By default I have
> incoming and outgoing ports blocked) in order to operate windows update?

Standard HTTP and HTTPS ports. (80 and 443) outgoing only.

Yo Biggles,

Another option is to have a machine running Software Update Services...
(especially if you have heaps of clients). Its the same as the Microsoft
Update Server except its in-house, intergrated into AD, free, and reduces
bandwidth if you have heaps of clients behind it.

I cant remember if it will run on a client connected to the domain? - I run
it on a 2k Server and its great. Unfortunately you need IIS installed which
is a security risk in itself. And download ~500MB of patches if your just
starting out...

"Biggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br84p3$o5c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I telehouse a win2000 server box and with the tight local security policy
> (aka firewall) in place, I have trouble with windows update.....in fact, I
> disable the firewall whenever I CHECK for updates....this also means the
> auto update feature will not work.
>
> Anyone have any ideas of the ports that need to be opened (By default I

have
> incoming and outgoing ports blocked) in order to operate windows update?
>
> Thanks
> John
> Email: @ihug.co.nz with 'file-it' in front

Nathan Mercer

"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b4XBb.12552$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yo Biggles,
>
> Another option is to have a machine running Software Update Services...
> (especially if you have heaps of clients). Its the same as the Microsoft
> Update Server except its in-house, intergrated into AD, free, and reduces
> bandwidth if you have heaps of clients behind it.
>
> I cant remember if it will run on a client connected to the domain? - I

run
> it on a 2k Server and its great. Unfortunately you need IIS installed

which
> is a security risk in itself. And download ~500MB of patches if your just
> starting out...

You need a Windows Server 2000 or later to run Software Update Services
www.microsoft.com/sus

T.N.O.

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> You need a Windows Server 2000 or later to run Software Update Services
> www.microsoft.com/sus

I find it funny that MS don't use the term "blah blah product or better"
any more... they seem to use "blah blah product or later" now.

The Hobbit

"AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:12:37 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
>
> > Utter Paranoia..
> >
> > Do you hand Garlic in your rooms in case of Vampires..?

> And how many web servers have you been responsible for Woger?
>
> Paranoia is a good thing for an internet server admin to have.

Reminds me of the old security adage that we were taught. "No! - now...
what was the question?"

nobody760

Haven't read all the threads apologies if some one else has suggested this,
I find it useful, you may also.

http://www.bigfix.com/website/index.html

nobody760

Sorry URL to the free one.