Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > accounting software - web based maybe

accounting software - web based maybe

Andrew

im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
$1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd

So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice

Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
but didnt really like it

Features required:
invoicing clients
entering supplier invoices
Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
GST/Tax support

MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
it out

Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

Cheers
Andrew

sal

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:09:54 +1300, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
>have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
>at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
>Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
>$1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd
>
>So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
>
>Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
>available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
>but didnt really like it
>
>Features required:
>invoicing clients
>entering supplier invoices
>Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
>GST/Tax support
>
>MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
>it out
>
>Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!
>
>Cheers
>Andrew

Modernbill ?

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:09:54 +1300, Andrew wrote:

> im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
> have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
> at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
> Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
> $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd

All the Multiuser stuff is around this price.

Look at Quickbooks Pro 5 user. It's worth it, but is about $1100 IIRC.

> Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
> available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
> but didnt really like it

Gnucash - a Quicken workalike. Look on Freshmeat.net for others.

> MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
> it out

We found Quickbooks was better and produces output which our accountant
could import for audits (cost reductions!)
MYOB ran out of steam at about 1000 clients which wasn't helpful.

Matt B

In news:_qfBb.12170$(E-Mail Removed),
Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the
> need to have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing
> the data file at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i
> need to upgrade my Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however
> this will cost me over $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my
> version only costed $300 odd
>
> So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
>
> Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
> available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at
> Quicken - but didnt really like it
>
> Features required:
> invoicing clients
> entering supplier invoices
> Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
> GST/Tax support
>
> MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind
> trying it out
>
> Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

Moneyworks - www.cognito.co.nz

Oh, and "floogle"
(Couldn't resist)
--
Regards,

Matt B
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 10 types of people.
Those who get binary...
And those who don't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrew

> > MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind
> > trying it out
> >
> > Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

> Moneyworks - www.cognito.co.nz
>
> Oh, and "floogle"
> (Couldn't resist)
> --

Looks good - but cost the same as myob - so prob should just stick with it

Matt B

In news:gZvBb.12313$(E-Mail Removed),
Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>> MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt
>>> mind trying it out
>>>
>>> Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

>> Moneyworks - www.cognito.co.nz
>>
>> Oh, and "floogle"
>> (Couldn't resist)
>> --

> Looks good - but cost the same as myob - so prob should just stick
> with it

trust me - it's well worth a look, try the demo

--
Regards,

Matt B
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 10 types of people.
Those who get binary...
And those who don't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike Dee

"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:_qfBb.12170$(E-Mail Removed):

> Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
> available?

Open source? GnuCash perhaps?
<http://www.au.gnucash.org/>

me here

Andrew wrote:
> im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
> have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
> at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
> Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
> $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd
>
> So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
>
> Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
> available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
> but didnt really like it
>
> Features required:
> invoicing clients
> entering supplier invoices
> Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
> GST/Tax support
>
> MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
> it out
>
> Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!
>
> Cheers
> Andrew

Have a look at SQL Ledger (www.sql-ledger.org)

Web based and seems well recommended but I have never used it.

Gavin

William Hamilton

me here wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>
>> im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the
>> need to
>> have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data
>> file
>> at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to
>> upgrade my
>> Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
>> $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd
>>
>> So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
>>
>> Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
>> available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at
>> Quicken -
>> but didnt really like it
>>
>> Features required:
>> invoicing clients
>> entering supplier invoices
>> Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
>> GST/Tax support
>>
>> MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind
>> trying
>> it out
>>
>> Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andrew
>>

> Have a look at SQL Ledger (www.sql-ledger.org)
>
> Web based and seems well recommended but I have never used it.
>

> Gavin

I would 2nd this suggestion and do use it.