Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CMV LCD?

CMV LCD?

Nicholas Sherlock

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old 17" CRT monitor to a 17" LCD. Does
anyone have any reccomendations for brand? I'm looking for one which has a
pixel response time of 16ms or better, and a contrast ratio of at least
350:1.

Ascent lists a "CT-722AS, 17" TFT LCD, 1280x1024, Speakers, Silver/Black",
which is very cheap, and seems to have all the right specs. However, I can't
find *any* reviews of this LCD on the 'net.... is this LCD sold under a
different brand name in other countries?

Thanks,
Nicholas Sherlock

Rich

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br3oqf$jsg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old 17" CRT monitor to a 17" LCD. Does
> anyone have any reccomendations for brand? I'm looking for one which has a
> pixel response time of 16ms or better, and a contrast ratio of at least
> 350:1.
>
> Ascent lists a "CT-722AS, 17" TFT LCD, 1280x1024, Speakers, Silver/Black",
> which is very cheap, and seems to have all the right specs. However, I

can't
> find *any* reviews of this LCD on the 'net.... is this LCD sold under a
> different brand name in other countries?

I don't know about other brand names, but we have the CMV LCD's at work,
they seem like really good value for money. Gaming and DVD's look almost
perfect, even with high-action scenes. Right up there with the Sony's and
other more expensive names.

Nicholas Sherlock

Rich wrote:
> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:br3oqf$jsg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old 17" CRT monitor to a 17" LCD.
>> Does anyone have any reccomendations for brand? I'm looking for one
>> which has a pixel response time of 16ms or better, and a contrast
>> ratio of at least 350:1.
>>
>> Ascent lists a "CT-722AS, 17" TFT LCD, 1280x1024, Speakers,
>> Silver/Black", which is very cheap, and seems to have all the right
>> specs. However, I can't find *any* reviews of this LCD on the
>> 'net.... is this LCD sold under a different brand name in other
>> countries?

> I don't know about other brand names, but we have the CMV LCD's at
> work, they seem like really good value for money. Gaming and DVD's
> look almost perfect, even with high-action scenes. Right up there
> with the Sony's and other more expensive names.

Thanks very much for the information! CMV seems to be just about unknown on
the 'net.. and the specs are so good! Have you noticed any shortcomings at
all? Poor colours, not very bright, blurry text?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 19:07:51 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> I'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old 17" CRT monitor to a 17" LCD. Does
> anyone have any reccomendations for brand? I'm looking for one which has a
> pixel response time of 16ms or better, and a contrast ratio of at least
> 350:1.

350:1 still gives a washed out black. You want at least 450:1

Jamie Sugrue

I have an Acer 17 and Viewsonic 15. Both are nice but the Viewsonic probably
wins out on image quality, but its hard to beat the 17 overall.

I would probably wait a bit if you could. Prices have actually gone up in
the last week or so.

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br3oqf$jsg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old 17" CRT monitor to a 17" LCD. Does
> anyone have any reccomendations for brand? I'm looking for one which has a
> pixel response time of 16ms or better, and a contrast ratio of at least
> 350:1.
>
> Ascent lists a "CT-722AS, 17" TFT LCD, 1280x1024, Speakers, Silver/Black",
> which is very cheap, and seems to have all the right specs. However, I

can't
> find *any* reviews of this LCD on the 'net.... is this LCD sold under a
> different brand name in other countries?
>
> Thanks,
> Nicholas Sherlock

Rich

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br3urg$ocr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rich wrote:
> > "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:br3oqf$jsg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old 17" CRT monitor to a 17" LCD.
> >> Does anyone have any reccomendations for brand? I'm looking for one
> >> which has a pixel response time of 16ms or better, and a contrast
> >> ratio of at least 350:1.
> >>
> >> Ascent lists a "CT-722AS, 17" TFT LCD, 1280x1024, Speakers,
> >> Silver/Black", which is very cheap, and seems to have all the right
> >> specs. However, I can't find *any* reviews of this LCD on the
> >> 'net.... is this LCD sold under a different brand name in other
> >> countries?

> > I don't know about other brand names, but we have the CMV LCD's at
> > work, they seem like really good value for money. Gaming and DVD's
> > look almost perfect, even with high-action scenes. Right up there
> > with the Sony's and other more expensive names.

> Thanks very much for the information! CMV seems to be just about unknown

on
> the 'net.. and the specs are so good! Have you noticed any shortcomings at
> all? Poor colours, not very bright, blurry text?

Colours look really good, black is maybe not quite as dark as it should be
but you would have to be pretty fussy to notice. Text seems crisp, although
I havent looked so much at that aspect.