Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CD-R longevity?

CD-R longevity?

Mainlander

says...
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:50:20 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> >says...

> >> Verbatim Datalife Plus, but must be the Plus..

> >Also known as Mitsubishi (SR80 or similar)

> Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
> in Spindles..

Verbatim is owned by Mitsubishi, both the Verbatim and Mitsubishi disks
use Mitsubishi's patented metalised Azo dye.

Mainlander

says...
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:56:37 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore)
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:56:02 +1300, Dumdedo
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
> >>in Spindles..

> >I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
> >Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)
> >
> >And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.
> >

> And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has them or any
> One on the Kapiti Coast.

Boise office supplies (around NZ) sell them
Mitsubishi are sold by DSE

Tim

Dumdedo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:11:36 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Craig
> Shore) wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:06:13 +1300, Dumdedo
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has
>>>them or any One on the Kapiti Coast.

>>Your favourite online shop has then for $42 for a 50 spindle.
>>(www.pp.co.nz)
>>
>>Tastech in Christchurch has them listed at $32, but they don't have
>>Super Azo in the name like PP does.
>>

> Tim the chap from P.N. I think payed $37 deliverd for Tastech and yes
> they wre Super Azo..

That was me - they were definitely the Super Azo ones when I got them.
If they say DatalifePlus, they are Super Azo. They worked great too -
not a single verify error or coaster in the whole spindle. Will have to
get another couple sometime soon.

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

Dumdedo

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:13:58 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:56:37 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore)
>> wrote:

>> >I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
>> >Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)
>> >
>> >And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.
>> >

>> And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has them or any
>> One on the Kapiti Coast.

>Boise office supplies (around NZ) sell them
>Mitsubishi are sold by DSE

But not in Spindles

Brendan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
>media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
>purchased?
>
>I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
>simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
>
>I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
>production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
>unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
>
>Any suggestions?

For longer term storage and/or compatibility with weird cdrom drives,
burn at a slow speed - 4x maybe.

I have had good performance out of those crimson Transonic disks from
the Warehouse. Some of them have been 4 or 5 years old.

Long term (20 years plus) storage of computer data is becoming a
tricky problem. Even if you find a cdr gauranteed to last that long,
in 20 years it is likly no DRIVE will be around to read it and all the
ones we use now will be dead of old age.

Clay tablets are the only long term strorage media with a proven
record

Consider: film shot in the early days of movies (1920's) has largely
deteriroated and rotted into uselessness (like woger). A mere 80
years.

It's an interesting problem: high data density storage AND long life.

Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

--

....Brendan

Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.
J.K.Galbraith

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

Dumdedo

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:12:19 +1300, Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:32:35 +1300, IRO
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
>>media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
>>purchased?
>>
>>I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
>>simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
>>
>>I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
>>production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
>>unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
>>
>>Any suggestions?

>For longer term storage and/or compatibility with weird cdrom drives,
>burn at a slow speed - 4x maybe.
>
>I have had good performance out of those crimson Transonic disks from
>the Warehouse. Some of them have been 4 or 5 years old.
>
>Long term (20 years plus) storage of computer data is becoming a
>tricky problem. Even if you find a cdr gauranteed to last that long,
>in 20 years it is likly no DRIVE will be around to read it and all the
>ones we use now will be dead of old age.
>
>Clay tablets are the only long term strorage media with a proven
>record
>
>Consider: film shot in the early days of movies (1920's) has largely
>deteriroated and rotted into uselessness (like woger). A mere 80
>years.
>
>It's an interesting problem: high data density storage AND long life.
>
>Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
>10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

Seems like you know nothing and just waffle and think that you do.

Sure signs of a metal problem to me..

Steven H

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
corum.usenet@myrealbox says...

> Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
> 10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

good question Brendan

isnt there a technology that enables a home growen crystal cube to store
massive amounts of infomation - god knows how they done it.

what about using brain matter to store (and compute) infomation.

mabye we will all end up getting "brain interfaces" pluged into us when
we are born (or hatched) which makes us learn everything at the speed of
thaught.

mabye insted of multi level underground football fields filled with cray
supercomputers crunching in parralell we will have vats of brains that
interface with one-another via telephathy

ok i need a coffie

Steven H

Craig Shore

(dot com)> wrote:

>Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
>10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

That's the good thing about digital data. As long as the medium you
store it on now lasts until it's technoloy is being phased out, it can
be transferred to whatever new one that is being used.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:12:19 +1300, Brendan wrote:

> I have had good performance out of those crimson Transonic disks from
> the Warehouse. Some of them have been 4 or 5 years old.

When those first started appearing, they turned out to be a swiss disk
with a pretty good reputation.

As for long-term storage, periodic renewals of the media is the _only_ way
to fly: $orkplace has a large stack of archival open reel tapes and cartridges
which are proabbly perfectly serviceable, however there's no hardware left
to read them (the drives died of old age, weren't thrown out as obselete)

Brendan

**** Off roger