Velocity Reviews > Reviews > Corsair XMS 2048-3500LL Pro 2GB Kit

Article Tools

Corsair XMS 2048-3500LL Pro 2GB Kit

Corsair XMS 2048-3500LL Pro 2GB Kit Article Author : unholy
Date :

Introduction

Corsair has been the top notch memory manufacture since 1994, and has been bring out more and more modules since then, some being quite good and others totally kicking ass! When we are talking computers, Corsair is the chocolate coating on the cake, and the ram we are reviewing today adds the cherry on top.

Today we are going to be looking at Corsair's Newest Set of High Performance Low Latency Modules for DDR computers. The XMS 3500LL Pro's is only available in a 2GB Kit, although the price difference wouldn't be worth buying a single stick. The XMS Pro series is known for its LED Activity lights, but the XMS 3500LL Pro's are not just about the Pretty Lights itís about the performance of the ram, and was impressed by the performance of these modules. Now moving onto the hard core review.

Packaging

Starting at the packaging we need to know that the Modules are protected, and as always they are so itís not that much of a big issue with Corsair, because you know youíre going to get the best. Although the Modules do come in an Electro static protective bag, and then in a box full of Styrofoam.

Specifications
  • 64 x 8 DDR-SDRAM Modules per Stick
  • Fully Stable at Rated PC3500 (218MHz) and timings of 2-2-3-6-1T
  • 2-3-2-6-1T "Plug and Frag" Latency Settings
  • Pre Programmed SPD for 2-3-2-6-1T
  • Matched Pair Built for Asus A8N-SLi Premium
  • 18 Activity LED's to Show Level of Use
  • High Efficiency Aluminum Heat sink
  • Lifetime Warranty

What you get

Obliviously you get the two modules. But there is a hidden Manual. It is quite informative on how to install the ram; you will need it if you donít know what youíre doing.

Test Setup

Testing Procedure
  • Test Setup above will be used
  • Common Settings including DDR400, DDR500 and SPD Latency Settings.
  • Will be compared against OCZís PC3200 EL DDR Gold Edition VX 1 GB Kit
  • Will be compared against Corsairís TWINX2048-4000PT 2 GB Kit
  • Over Clocking will be tested for Stability using Memtest 86
  • A number of Benchmarking programs will be used including games
  • When overclocking the lowest possible CPU multiplier will be used to keep it at ~1.8Ghz, HTT will also be dropped to keep it at 2 GHz
Results

Settings:
1024x768x32bit
D3D-HAL&TL
No AA

Settings:
1024x768x32bit
TF: Optimal
AF: 4
Vertex Shader: Optimal

Settings:
1024x768x32bit
Optimal Filtering
No AA

Settings:
800x600
High Detail

Settings:
800x600
High Quality
No HDR
2 Bots
Overclocking

When I was overclocking these modules, they were quite touchy. 1 MHz more decreased the system stability to unusable. I did manage to get some good Overclocking done with this ram.

TimingsMHzStable
2-3-2-6200Yes
2-3-2-6218Yes
3-3-3-8267Yes
3-3-3-8287Memtest 86+ Stable, Seems to create instability within the Graphics Card.

Conclusion

Some people think these modules are just another set of XMS Pro's but thatís not it, they're something more. 1T command rates, 2GB, 2-3-2-6... Is your mouth drooling yet? You might want to clean the puddle up :P before you fall over.

If you looking at 2GB Kits Right now and you haven't even considered these Modules, youíre missing out on them!

These modules are the modules you want for gaming, they have the "Bling Bling" and they have the Performance, I have been playing many games whilst having these modules installed and they are way faster at loading then any others I have seen, in fact so fast that I have already started a Counter-Strike Source Match before anyone else has joined.

Pros (+):
  • XMS Heat spreader
  • LED Activity lights
  • Can do 267MHz at 3-3-3-8
  • Run SPD Standard at 2-3-2-6
  • Rated at PC 3500!
  • Speedy, on all software and games
  • No requirement for a high priced Mother Board to run it at Stock Speeds (PC3500)
Cons (-):
  • Ram is a slight be tall, some people might have to think if they will fit in with their HSF
  • Ram really doesn't like the extra MHz's when it gets to the high 260's and the low 270's, but this ram was not made for Overclocking

Advertisments

Newsgroups
Computer Support
Computer Information