Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Buy PC and get viruses for free.

Buy PC and get viruses for free.

MarkH

Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Not to mention the fact that a shop will rarely have a LAN connection
> to the Internet.

No internet connection is required to apply the patch. I always use a
saved copy of the patch that I have on a Pendrive, on a CD and on a USB2
HDD.

It would not take much to create a CD that autoruns to invite the user to
apply the patch.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Enkidu

The lead time on that would be immense. Imagine. An exploit is
discovered. Microsoft then has to engineer a fix to the exploit. This
might take a few days, maybe more in a program as complicated as the
OS. Then MS has to test it. Coupla days. When it tested it needs to be
sent to manufacture. A week, then it needs to be distributed
worldwide. Two weeks. Then MS has to set up a bulk mailing. And then
send the CDs out. Some will get lost or stolen or go astray. Beginners
will get the CD get scared and chuck it in the bin.

Even if this could be arranged (and it would need a huge organisation
*just* to do this), suppose MS eventually got people to take their
disks and insert and run them. SPAMmers and hacker then start to send
out disks that look like the MS ones......

The best way, and the way that MS already do it is to provide it on a
website. Sure there may be some problems with this but nothing like
the problems a periodic circulation of CDs would. Apart from anything
else, we'd soon be knee deep in CDs, planetwide.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:13:02 +1300, "Edmond Lo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How come we are looking for OEM to provide patch for the OS? Shouldn't it be
>the responsibility of M$. Shouldn't they send out patch CDs to the OEM or to
>people who have registered their copy of Windows....
>

>"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:41:40 +1300, DUser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >If the distribution is a sealed box model, then the sealed box should
>> >contain an updated machine.
>> >That is what I would expect from Dell for example
>> >

>> You'd be wrong to assume that a machine from Dell would be up to date.
>> Dell, being a large manufacturer, probably gets pre-imaged hard disks
>> from the HDD supplier. Even if the image was updated every time it was
>> copied to a HDD (very unlikely) it would likely be a month or two
>> before a completed machine arrives on your desk.
>>
>> The best an outfit like Dell could do would be to provide a CD image
>> on their site for a reasonably recent patch level.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>> --
>>
>> The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
>> that the conspiracy is working.

that the conspiracy is working.

Enkidu

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:32:24 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Not to mention the fact that a shop will rarely have a LAN connection
>> to the Internet.

>No internet connection is required to apply the patch. I always use a
>saved copy of the patch that I have on a Pendrive, on a CD and on a USB2
>HDD.
>
>It would not take much to create a CD that autoruns to invite the user to
>apply the patch.

Yes, but *the shop* would have to create the CD. Therefore *the shop*
would need an Internet connection.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Lennier

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:24:38 +0000, MarkH wrote:

> Why is it so wrong to buy a PC that comes with the OS that you want anyway
> already installed?

Well it would be nice if computers actually DID come with the OS *I* wan
already installed!

They don't, and so your point is irrelevant.

A person should know at least a basic amount of knowledge about a computer
prior to being sold a licence to use said computer.

Lennier

Lennier

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:24:38 +0000, MarkH wrote:

> Most computer users would assume
> that a vital patch released 3 months ago would be on the new PC already,
> how are they supposed to know that it isnít?

Because they should be told how to update their computer (including being
shown how to do the update) PRIOR to taking it home!

Lennier

James West

..
"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br6e71$evv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in
> news:br3ofj$jnp$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > E-

> > 2
> >> >
> >> It's unlikely that the machine had a virus on it out of the box. Bulk
> >> build boxes are built from an image, sometimes one that is installed
> >> on the HDD by the HDD manufacturer. Staff at B&B would probably not
> >> have unpacked the machine at all.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Cliff

> > Quite right. It's very unlikely that they're sold new with a virus
> > already on it. They should point out that people need to go to MS for
> > the latest upgrades as soon as they get on line. XP may want to do
> > that anyway, it should still be pointed out by the sales staff though.

> I was setting the machine up to connect to the internet, the customer had
> not make a successful connection. It was connected for less than 30
> seconds. How does the end user get security updates of the internet

before
> their machine is infected?

if YOU were being PAID to set up the PC for internet it would be YOUR duty
make sure the patch was installed and firewall enabled before connection,
would it not?

any doubts about the package being opened should have made you recover the
drive at least

Blind leading the Blind.........

James

> My thoughts are that the PC was connected to an ADSL router with poor
> security settings and got infected that way. Though possible I doubt that
> the machine picked up 2 viruses within 30 seconds.
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~markh/
> "There are 10 types of people, those that
> understand binary and those that don't"

MarkH

Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsan.2003.12.12.04.41.16.735875@TRACKER:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:24:38 +0000, MarkH wrote:
>
>> Why is it so wrong to buy a PC that comes with the OS that you want
>> anyway already installed?

> Well it would be nice if computers actually DID come with the OS *I*
> wan already installed!
>
> They don't, and so your point is irrelevant.

Oh I see, this thread is about YOU!

> A person should know at least a basic amount of knowledge about a
> computer prior to being sold a licence to use said computer.

So there should be tests before you are allowed to buy most consumer
electronics?

You are a complete tard, where did I say anywhere that this customer didn't
have a basic amount of knowledge about a computer? This is not their first
PC! Why don't you take your condescending attitude elsewhere?

--

newsan.2003.12.12.04.43.12.418154@TRACKER:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:24:38 +0000, MarkH wrote:
>
>> Most computer users would assume
>> that a vital patch released 3 months ago would be on the new PC already,
>> how are they supposed to know that it isnít?

> Because they should be told how to update their computer (including being
> shown how to do the update) PRIOR to taking it home!

I agree, but they were told nothing. Bond and Bond sold them the computer
and sent them on their way.

Of course you expect this sort of thing when people buy PCs from appliance
stores.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

MarkH

"James West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fmhCb.26983$(E-Mail Removed):

> if YOU were being PAID to set up the PC for internet it would be YOUR
> duty to
> make sure the patch was installed and firewall enabled before
> connection, would it not?

With PCs I source locally I have found that for the last couple of months
the MS security patch is already applied, it was when I saw the RPC error
that I suspected that the PC lacked the vital patch.

> any doubts about the package being opened should have made you recover
> the drive at least

WTF? Are you suggesting that I wipe out everything the customer had set up
and have to spend a couple of extra hours working on it? Hmmm, I could
really screw over customers and charge them a fortune here!

> Blind leading the Blind.........

I visited the customer, sorted the problems, left a machine properly setup
and protected from known viruses. What the hell are you referring to?