Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > woosh

woosh

Nathan Mercer

"-[Myth]-" <mythdl@No_SPAM.users.sourceforge.net[spam_go_away]> wrote in
message news:d3tBb.24410$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are the pings any good?

No, they are around about twice the bandwidth you get out of Jetstream
Starter, but also twice the latency
Impossible to play online FPS games over

T.N.O.

Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>Are the pings any good?

> No, they are around about twice the bandwidth you get out of Jetstream
> Starter, but also twice the latency
> Impossible to play online FPS games over

Are they as bad as Jetstart has become with the prioritising of TCP over
UDP traffic?

My mates latency jumps to ~1000ms if his flatmates jump online and do
some web browsing... He is going to get a dialup account for gaming as
it is better than Jetstart.

-[Myth]-

Well thats no good for me then, ill just have to wait until the
compitition forces telescum to give out a better deal
Nathan Mercer wrote:
> "-[Myth]-" <mythdl@No_SPAM.users.sourceforge.net[spam_go_away]> wrote in
> message news:d3tBb.24410$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Are the pings any good?

> No, they are around about twice the bandwidth you get out of Jetstream
> Starter, but also twice the latency
> Impossible to play online FPS games over

AD.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:27:39 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>>Are the pings any good?

>> No, they are around about twice the bandwidth you get out of Jetstream
>> Starter, but also twice the latency
>> Impossible to play online FPS games over

> Are they as bad as Jetstart has become with the prioritising of TCP over
> UDP traffic?

Hehe kinda defeats the purpose of UDP eh?

Does that also slow down DNS queries?

I suppose it's another small step towards converting the Internet to
the Web.

Cheers
Anton

T.N.O.

AD. wrote:

>>>No, they are around about twice the bandwidth you get out of Jetstream
>>>Starter, but also twice the latency
>>>Impossible to play online FPS games over

>>Are they as bad as Jetstart has become with the prioritising of TCP over
>>UDP traffic?

> Hehe kinda defeats the purpose of UDP eh?
> Does that also slow down DNS queries?
> I suppose it's another small step towards converting the Internet to
> the Web.

Dont know, I'll ask, I use dialup at home, just moving to
wireless(scarfies.net) as my free dialup account will be closed
shortly... they are culling "erronous"(read:free) accounts of ex staffers.

Brendan

On 10 Dec 2003 16:21:10 +1300, samg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:20031209220151965+1300
>@news.inv.ihug.co.nz:

>>> They were bolting stuff on the outside of the Kelvin Hotel in
>>> Invercargill today. Can't be long to wait now.

>> Woohoo! I'm paying $19 per month for dial-up Internet, plus $41 for a
>> phone line which I only ever use for Internet access. That's $60 for a
>> Telecom/ihug 48kbit/s dial-up connection, versus $65 for a Woosh

>250kbit/
>> s always-on connection. Gee, I wonder which one I'll be using...
>>
>>)
>>

>wish I had the choice...sigh

What I'd like is one of those Counties Power net accounts...

--

....Brendan

Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.
J.K.Galbraith

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

Mainlander

In article <fBcBb.23556$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> i just checked out the site
> 700mb a month average.
> i hope they dont do a ihug and when a few people download 35gigs a month
> they CAP !!!!

So don't download 35 GB a month then

Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
Is Woosh the answer? Rats NZ Computing 9 09-17-2003 07:15 PM
The REAL question about 'woosh' Evil Bastard NZ Computing 21 09-17-2003 12:23 PM
Woosh pricing! Carl Elphick NZ Computing 29 09-17-2003 07:43 AM
No word about woosh yet? tony11 NZ Computing 6 09-15-2003 07:22 AM

Advertisments