Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > woosh

woosh

T.N.O.

will wrote:
>>Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

> #### does it work while the modem's moving?

Dont know... Cant think of any reason why not, it is only a modem
running off Cell towers isnt it, I wonder if it switches quick enough
between towers to work?

Can someone check.

matt

i just checked out the site
700mb a month average.
i hope they dont do a ihug and when a few people download 35gigs a month
they CAP !!!!

i wonder what cell towers they use. eg are they telecoms or vodaphone or do
they put there own up, or is it a different freq.

"Where" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EORAb.22403$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
> Trying to decide wether to can jetstart and get woosh.. and feedback re
> speed etc... seems a good deal but im not to sure... any ideas?

Richard Malcolm-Smith

matt wrote:

> i wonder what cell towers they use. eg are they telecoms or vodaphone or do
> they put there own up, or is it a different freq.

Modem lists that its on 2053 to 2082 Mhz

Nicholas Sherlock

T.N.O. wrote:
> will wrote:
>>> Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

>> #### does it work while the modem's moving?

> Dont know... Cant think of any reason why not, it is only a modem
> running off Cell towers isnt it, I wonder if it switches quick enough
> between towers to work?

Yes, their website says it works fine.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

matt

If they dont have to put up their own cell towers then i reckon there would
be a quick roll out.
but then i might be dreaming.

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br3o40$j1s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> matt wrote:
>
> > i wonder what cell towers they use. eg are they telecoms or vodaphone or

do
> > they put there own up, or is it a different freq.

> Modem lists that its on 2053 to 2082 Mhz

John

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>will wrote:
>>>Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

>> #### does it work while the modem's moving?

>Dont know... Cant think of any reason why not, it is only a modem
>running off Cell towers isnt it, I wonder if it switches quick enough
>between towers to work?
>
>Can someone check.

Not unless they have changed their mind. I went to a pre launch
seminar at the AK Uni and they were not offering handover as they were
partnered with Vodafone. Whoosh technology is basically cell (WCDMA)
technology and it does have the ability to handover. Vodafone's
conditions are that they (whoosh) use the Vodafone cell sites was
they didn't offer this option. You will have to log in again when you
leave the cell..

Roger Johnstone

In <JHYAb.11990$(E-Mail Removed)> bambam wrote:
> "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3fd42109$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Twice the speed, _Cheaper_ and doesnt involve telecom.
>>> Now if only they would hurry the hell up and get signal here!!
>>> heh heh

>> Yeah, supposedly they have won the contract for Dunedin, so they
>> should be here soon.

> They were bolting stuff on the outside of the Kelvin Hotel in
> Invercargill today. Can't be long to wait now.

Woohoo! I'm paying $19 per month for dial-up Internet, plus $41 for a
phone line which I only ever use for Internet access. That's $60 for a
Telecom/ihug 48kbit/s dial-up connection, versus $65 for a Woosh 250kbit/
s always-on connection. Gee, I wonder which one I'll be using...

)

PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz

Mel

I have been trialling Woosh (formerly Walker Wireless) since 16th July
2003 and it is fantastic. The Woosh staff have been fantastic also
working out a laptop problem, after shifting modem from my main computer
Windows XP to use in the bedroom or lounge on an older Windows ME laptop.

The separate use of the telephone at the same time is a big big PLUS.

Looking forward to using it when travelling.

So far 10/10

Mel
Tuatapere

Mel wrote:
> I have been trialling Woosh (formerly Walker Wireless) since 16th July
> 2003 and it is fantastic. The Woosh staff have been fantastic also
> working out a laptop problem, after shifting modem from my main
> computer Windows XP to use in the bedroom or lounge on an older
> Windows ME laptop.

Can you use the modem to keep your coffee warm? (microwave..).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

T.N.O.

matt wrote:
> i just checked out the site
> 700mb a month average.
> i hope they dont do a ihug and when a few people download 35gigs a month
> they CAP !!!!

Hey, where did you find this info, I just had a look, but cant find it
in their T&C's

Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
Is Woosh the answer? Rats NZ Computing 9 09-17-2003 07:15 PM
The REAL question about 'woosh' Evil Bastard NZ Computing 21 09-17-2003 12:23 PM
Woosh pricing! Carl Elphick NZ Computing 29 09-17-2003 07:43 AM
No word about woosh yet? tony11 NZ Computing 6 09-15-2003 07:22 AM

Advertisments