Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Trunk encapsulation command not available

Trunk encapsulation command not available

Ned

I am trying to set up a trunk port with DOT1Q encapsulation - but in
config mode I don't get the option to set any encapsulation; any
suggestions - see below:

Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk ?
allowed Set allowed VLAN characteristics when interface is in
trunking mode
native Set trunking native characteristics when interface is in
trunking
mode
pruning Set pruning VLAN characteristics when interface is in
trunking mode

Switch#show ver
IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1

scooty@people.net.au

I think to set the port to trunk it's simply
switchport mode trunk
then to set the encasulation to dot1q it's
encap dot1q

In fact if memory serve me correctly the 2950's only support dot1q and
the 1900's only supported ISL (CCNA test topics!)
It's only the Catalyst's that support both
No idea why this is the case!

stephen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I think to set the port to trunk it's simply
> switchport mode trunk
> then to set the encasulation to dot1q it's
> encap dot1q

you might not be able to "set" 802.1Q mode if that is all there is - do a
"show interface" or show switchport (cat 6ks, so i dont use 2950s) once you
have configured a port and you should get the mode info.

AFAIR the ref to "native" means 802.1Q is supported, since there isnt
anything equivalent on ISL.

> In fact if memory serve me correctly the 2950's only support dot1q and
> the 1900's only supported ISL (CCNA test topics!)
> It's only the Catalyst's that support both
> No idea why this is the case!

probably a limitation of a chipset used - higher end cisco gear uses their
own chips so more likely that they build in support for the proprietary ISL
format.

--
Regards

Martin Kiefer

"Ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am trying to set up a trunk port with DOT1Q encapsulation - but in
> config mode I don't get the option to set any encapsulation; any
> suggestions - see below:

Since the 2950 only support dot1q there is no need for setting encapsulation
at the command line.

--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer

chris

"Ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am trying to set up a trunk port with DOT1Q encapsulation - but in
> config mode I don't get the option to set any encapsulation; any
> suggestions - see below:
>
> Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk ?
> allowed Set allowed VLAN characteristics when interface is in
> trunking mode
> native Set trunking native characteristics when interface is in
> trunking
> mode
> pruning Set pruning VLAN characteristics when interface is in
> trunking mode
>
> Switch#show ver
> Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1

labcat2950(config-if)#switchport trunk ?
allowed Set allowed VLAN characteristics when interface is in trunking
mode
native Set trunking native characteristics when interface is in trunking
mode
pruning Set pruning VLAN characteristics when interface is in trunking
mode

labcat2950(config-if)#switchport mode
labcat2950(config-if)#switchport mode ?
access Set trunking mode to ACCESS unconditionally
dynamic Set trunking mode to dynamically negotiate access or trunk mode
trunk Set trunking mode to TRUNK unconditionally

Chris.