Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HDD temps.

HDD temps.

~misfit~

I have a Seagate ST380011A, 80GB, 7,200 rpm drive. According to the manual
it's operating temp range is 0C-60C.

I have made some changes to airflow/cooling in my case. My CPU is 8-10
cooler because of this. The HDD used to run at 28-32 and now regularly sits
on 42. I have made an effort to lower it's temp but am having problems.
Basically my case is crap, but it was cheap. .

As the HDD only has a one-year warranty should I be worried about the temp?

Any comments welcome.
--
~misfit~
I have a Seagate ST380011A, 80GB, 7,200 rpm drive. According to the manual
it's operating temp range is 0C-60C.

I have made some changes to airflow/cooling in my case. My CPU is 8-10
cooler because of this. The HDD used to run at 28-32 and now regularly sits
on 42. I have made an effort to lower it's temp but am having problems.
Basically my case is crap, but it was cheap. .

As the HDD only has a one-year warranty should I be worried about the temp?

Any comments welcome.
--
~misfit~

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:07:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> As the HDD only has a one-year warranty should I be worried about the temp?

Yes. Every 10C increase in operating temperature == half the operational
life. The hotter (less dense) air inside the case also means the ride
height might get adversely affected too.

You can buy 3.5-5.25" bay adaptors with built in fans. You might want to
consider getting one of these, or repositioning the drive so that air from
th einlet fan is playing over it.

Case ducting is cheap and easy to make. All you need is light cardboard
from warehouse stationery...

T.N.O.

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> Case ducting is cheap and easy to make. All you need is light cardboard
> from warehouse stationery...

Or spare plastic Dell mousepads from work

~misfit~

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:07:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> As the HDD only has a one-year warranty should I be worried about
>> the temp?

> Yes. Every 10C increase in operating temperature == half the
> operational life. The hotter (less dense) air inside the case also
> means the ride height might get adversely affected too.

Hmm.

> You can buy 3.5-5.25" bay adaptors with built in fans. You might want
> to consider getting one of these, or repositioning the drive so that
> air from th einlet fan is playing over it.

I have an adaptor but it isn't 80-wire/ATA100. I've made an attempt to duct
air over the HDD but it obviously hasn't been very effective. As I said,
it's a cheap case and is hard to work with.

> Case ducting is cheap and easy to make. All you need is light
> cardboard from warehouse stationery...

I modified a plastic duct from a Dell that was designed for using an 80mm
case fan for cooling a CPU.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

---

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:49:51 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

>> You can buy 3.5-5.25" bay adaptors with built in fans. You might want
>> to consider getting one of these, or repositioning the drive so that
>> air from th einlet fan is playing over it.

> I have an adaptor but it isn't 80-wire/ATA100.

Huh? The adaptors I'm talking about are simply drive mounts, the cables
plug into the drive, no removeable drawers, etc

The DSE XH-5092 is one idea - overkill.

The ones I'm thinking of (picked one up in LA) simply have a small fan in
the 5.25" front panel blowing air over the drive.

> I've made an attempt to duct
> air over the HDD but it obviously hasn't been very effective. As I said,
> it's a cheap case and is hard to work with.

You get what you pay for. Hopefully it isn't as nasty as the old Edge
cases which had so many sharp edges that you'd be bleeding before you even
picked up a screwdriver.

~misfit~

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:49:51 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>>> You can buy 3.5-5.25" bay adaptors with built in fans. You might
>>> want to consider getting one of these, or repositioning the drive
>>> so that air from th einlet fan is playing over it.

>> I have an adaptor but it isn't 80-wire/ATA100.

> Huh? The adaptors I'm talking about are simply drive mounts, the
> cables plug into the drive, no removeable drawers, etc

Ok, I was refering to a removable tray-type thing. With a fan. I have a
couple here.

> The DSE XH-5092 is one idea - overkill.

I'll have a look. Hmmm, $33.

> The ones I'm thinking of (picked one up in LA) simply have a small
> fan in the 5.25" front panel blowing air over the drive.
>

>> I've made an attempt to duct
>> air over the HDD but it obviously hasn't been very effective. As I
>> said, it's a cheap case and is hard to work with.

> You get what you pay for. Hopefully it isn't as nasty as the old Edge
> cases which had so many sharp edges that you'd be bleeding before you
> even picked up a screwdriver.

In this case (pun unintentional) I got what I could afford. And yes, I did
bleed. I have one large bay left, I'll have to consider my options.

Thanks,
--
~misfit~

---

Gordon

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:47:37 +0100, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:07:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> As the HDD only has a one-year warranty should I be worried about the temp?

> Yes. Every 10C increase in operating temperature == half the operational
> life. The hotter (less dense) air inside the case also means the ride
> height might get adversely affected too.

We are not talking about a chemical reaction here Uncle.

Gordon

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:07:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I have a Seagate ST380011A, 80GB, 7,200 rpm drive. According to the manual
> it's operating temp range is 0C-60C.
>
> I have made some changes to airflow/cooling in my case. My CPU is 8-10
> cooler because of this. The HDD used to run at 28-32 and now regularly sits
> on 42. I have made an effort to lower it's temp but am having problems.
> Basically my case is crap, but it was cheap. .

The manufacturer will be on the conservative side with the specs, you are
within them so what about your blood pressure and cholestrol levels? All
okay then woory about the HD temp or the meaning of life.

harry

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:09:46 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:47:37 +0100, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:07:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> As the HDD only has a one-year warranty should I be worried about the temp?

>> Yes. Every 10C increase in operating temperature == half the operational
>> life. The hotter (less dense) air inside the case also means the ride
>> height might get adversely affected too.

> We are not talking about a chemical reaction here Uncle.

The spindle lubricant evaporates faster too.

~misfit~

Gordon wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:07:02 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I have a Seagate ST380011A, 80GB, 7,200 rpm drive. According to the
>> manual it's operating temp range is 0C-60C.
>>
>> I have made some changes to airflow/cooling in my case. My CPU is
>> 8-10 cooler because of this. The HDD used to run at 28-32 and now
>> regularly sits on 42. I have made an effort to lower it's temp but
>> am having problems. Basically my case is crap, but it was cheap. .

> The manufacturer will be on the conservative side with the specs, you
> are within them so what about your blood pressure and cholestrol
> levels? All okay then woory about the HD temp or the meaning of life.

Blood pressure and cholestorol fine thanks.

I thought about Uncle's comment after I replied. It's a bit arbitrary, maybe
every 10C above max spec (60C in this case) halves the life of the drive.
Or something. Otherwise water-cooling of drives would be a lot more common.
If you take the MTB temp to be x then every 10 below x you'd double the
life of your drive. I wonder what x is equal to? I might have to get a
phase-change cooler for my HDD. Make it last a few hundred years. (If x is
equal to 30 then, if I kept the temp at 0, the lowest it's specced for, I
could quadruple the life of my drive. If x is equal to 60 then I could
increase the life-span of my drive by a factor 32 by keeping it at 0)
--
~misfit~

---