Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 98SE - 80GB drive.

Windows 98SE - 80GB drive.

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, *@*.*
says...

> > > NO, the fat32 limit in XP is 32 GB

> > No it's not, I have an 80GB drive formatted as such(~72 I think) done by
> > the XP install.

> Microsoft state in a knowledge base article, the URL given in another
> post, that XP and 2000 cannot mount a FAT32 volume greater than 32GB. If
> you have something bigger it must be NTFS

You had it right first time Patrick, they can mount the drive np - just
can't format one to that size.

--
Duncan

T.N.O.

Mainlander wrote:
>>No it's not, I have an 80GB drive formatted as such(~72 I think) done by
>>the XP install.

> Microsoft state in a knowledge base article, the URL given in another
> post, that XP and 2000 cannot mount a FAT32 volume greater than 32GB. If
> you have something bigger it must be NTFS

I assume that I must have formatted using a win98 disk or soemthing, as
it was done ages ago... oh well, **** happens.

Nicholas Sherlock

Mainlander wrote:
> In article <br589n$28li14$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> NO, the fat32 limit in XP is 32 GB

>> No it's not, I have an 80GB drive formatted as such(~72 I think)
>> done by the XP install.

> Microsoft state in a knowledge base article, the URL given in another
> post, that XP and 2000 cannot mount a FAT32 volume greater than 32GB.
> If you have something bigger it must be NTFS

That's simply not true. I'm running Windows 2000 on a 80gig FAT32 drive.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Mainlander

In article <br7p0n$g07$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Mainlander wrote:
> > In article <br589n$28li14$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> No it's not, I have an 80GB drive formatted as such(~72 I think)
> >> done by the XP install.

> > Microsoft state in a knowledge base article, the URL given in another
> > post, that XP and 2000 cannot mount a FAT32 volume greater than 32GB.
> > If you have something bigger it must be NTFS

> That's simply not true. I'm running Windows 2000 on a 80gig FAT32 drive.

You can mount, but not format, I think that is the correct case

Brendan

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:53:01 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
wrote:

>Either that or I give him two identical 25GB partitions and get him to ghost
>the C part regularly.

No good for viruses/stuffups/hd failure.

--

....Brendan

Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.
J.K.Galbraith

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.