Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Win 98 won't install on a Elitegroup KT600A

Re: Win 98 won't install on a Elitegroup KT600A

~misfit~

PC wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> All new Box (320W power supply)
> Elitegroup KT600A MB
> Athlon 2500+ barton
> 256 DDR ram
> 40GB Maxtor 7200 rpm
> GeForce 4 MX440
>
> Hardware all ok as Windows 2000 installs as sweet as.
>
> The owner is insisting on using Windows 98 as they are in the middle
> of their 'season' and do not want 'any' workflow interuptions with a
> 'new' OS (ie learning Win XP)
>
> My problem is I've tried installing all flavours of Windows from 98
> to ME on this machine, and each time it reboot's after the initial
> install it just 'locks up' at the very first splash screen.
> Bootlog.txt show's it loading IFSHLP.SYS as the last entry.
>
> I've tried failsafe settings in Bios, turning of all the onboard
> extra's (Lan, Audio etc), format the drive between each flavour of
> windows, running the cpu at 1.1 GHz, reducing ram to 128 MB etc.
>
> Rebooting requires complete power off, all options (safe mode,
> bootlog, normal etc) except command prompt repeat the lock up. It
> will boot to Command mode (C:>)
>
> Help!
>
> Cheers
> Paul

Cross-posted to nz.comp where it should be. You're more likely to get an
answer there.
--
~misfit~

---

PC

snip
> Cross-posted to nz.comp where it should be. You're more likely to get an
> answer there.

snip

Thanks
Paul

Peter Huebner

In article <cVBzb.18697$(E-Mail Removed)>,
~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
> PC wrote:
> > Greetings all
> >
> > All new Box (320W power supply)

> > I've tried failsafe settings in Bios, turning of all the onboard
> > extra's (Lan, Audio etc), format the drive between each flavour of
> > windows, running the cpu at 1.1 GHz, reducing ram to 128 MB etc.
> >
> > Rebooting requires complete power off, all options (safe mode,
> > bootlog, normal etc) except command prompt repeat the lock up. It
> > will boot to Command mode (C:>)
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Paul

ifshlp.sys is windows file system, i.i.r.c.

I'd start looking at disk controller setup, cables, compatibility issues
between the drives -quite a few of the (modern) raid controllers will
stuff up completely if faced with a pio drive, cd drives, a syquest
drive f'r instance

h.t.h. -Peter