Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hidden/missing columns in Excel 2002

Hidden/missing columns in Excel 2002

Brian Tozer

Newbie here.
Many thanks for great help with my previous query.
Now for a new one.

In a worksheet that I am investigating there are 3 adjacent columns not
visible.
One of these columns has cells that are referenced in formula in other
columns.
I have been unable to make the missing columns visible, in spite of
attempting the methods described in the Help.
Can anyone suggest an explanation and/or remedy.

Thanks
Brian Tozer

Jason M

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:06:16 +1300, "Brian Tozer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In a worksheet that I am investigating there are 3 adjacent columns not
>visible.
>One of these columns has cells that are referenced in formula in other
>columns.
>I have been unable to make the missing columns visible, in spite of
>attempting the methods described in the Help.
>Can anyone suggest an explanation and/or remedy.

If you put the cursor up in the header between two of the columns the
cursor will usually show as a single vertical bar with two horizontal
arrows, so the column can be made wider. If instead you move the
cursor very slightly to the right, two vertical bars (and two arrows)
should be visible, and if you left click and drag the cursor to the
right, the hidden columns should become visible.
At some point in the past someone will have dragged the column width
to zero.

Nelly

wrote:

>Newbie here.
>Many thanks for great help with my previous query.
>Now for a new one.
>
>In a worksheet that I am investigating there are 3 adjacent columns not
>visible.
>One of these columns has cells that are referenced in formula in other
>columns.
>I have been unable to make the missing columns visible, in spite of
>attempting the methods described in the Help.
>Can anyone suggest an explanation and/or remedy.
>
>Thanks
>Brian Tozer

Lets say that the columns hidden are e & f, highlight columns d & g
then right click and click on unhide.

Nelly.
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours

Peter

wrote:

>Newbie here.
>Many thanks for great help with my previous query.
>Now for a new one.
>
>In a worksheet that I am investigating there are 3 adjacent columns not
>visible.
>One of these columns has cells that are referenced in formula in other
>columns.
>I have been unable to make the missing columns visible, in spite of
>attempting the methods described in the Help.
>Can anyone suggest an explanation and/or remedy.

This is most probably normal behaviour.

There are two mechanisms:
1. Click format - row or column - hide or unhide. This will hide or
unhide the selected rows or columns. To unhide select (click on the
row or column numbers) the two adjacent rows or columns that has the
missing ones between.
2. Click data - group and outline. This is more sophisticated.

file - print area provides a means of selecting area to print.

Peter KERR

In article <bqlj8e$s7l$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brian Tozer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In a worksheet that I am investigating there are 3 adjacent columns not
> visible.
> One of these columns has cells that are referenced in formula in other
> columns.
> I have been unable to make the missing columns visible, in spite of
> attempting the methods described in the Help.
> Can anyone suggest an explanation and/or remedy.

A "feature" of Excel is that elements in a worksheet can be locked &
password protected. I've had a similar case where it took a power of
convincing the author I didn't need his password, I didn't want to edit
his values, but I needed to be able to read the hidden rows...