Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mac databases?

Mac databases?

Russell Smithies

What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
what he needs.

any suggestions?

thanx
Russell

Mark Donovan

You can stick with Excel as Microsoft Office for OS X is admittedly
quite good now. Office for OS 8/9 was quite flaky.

There is also FileMaker Pro which is very popular and very easy to use,
particularly if you are constructing your own database from scratch.

In article <fr7zb.17084$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
> I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
> spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
> what he needs.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> thanx
> Russell

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark Donovan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You can stick with Excel as Microsoft Office for OS X is admittedly
> quite good now. Office for OS 8/9 was quite flaky.
>
> There is also FileMaker Pro which is very popular and very easy to use,
> particularly if you are constructing your own database from scratch.
>

> In article <fr7zb.17084$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
> > I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
> > spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
> > what he needs.
> >
> > any suggestions?
> >
> > thanx
> > Russell

And of course, FileMaker is cross-platform...runs on Macs and PC, can
share database files etc....great program, easy to use.

Phil

--
Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
http://www.bluengrey.com

MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community

Warwick

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:25:20 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
>I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
>spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
>what he needs.
>
>any suggestions?
>
>thanx
>Russell

dumb question from the cheap seats here ... but I thought Mac's had
excellent support fo unix programs. So there would be nothing to stop
you using GNU applications? In which case mysql would be perfect?

please correct me if I am wrong, I know bugger all about MacIntoshs'
but my Prof swears by them. As soon as I can afford one I will take
the plunge.

cheers
Warwick

bruce

& its a free to try download

> And of course, FileMaker is cross-platform...runs on Macs and PC, can
> share database files etc....great program, easy to use.
>
> Phil

-[Myth]-

I think that only OSX can run unix apps (being based on unix) but i may
be wrong as I dont own a mac.
Warwick wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:25:20 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
>>I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
>>spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
>>what he needs.
>>
>>any suggestions?
>>
>>thanx
>>Russell
>>

> dumb question from the cheap seats here ... but I thought Mac's had
> excellent support fo unix programs. So there would be nothing to stop
> you using GNU applications? In which case mysql would be perfect?
>
> please correct me if I am wrong, I know bugger all about MacIntoshs'
> but my Prof swears by them. As soon as I can afford one I will take
> the plunge.
>
> cheers
> Warwick

Mark.

Yes, Mac OS X is based on UNIX so mysql is not a problem, but it
wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to ease of use etc..

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dumb question from the cheap seats here ... but I thought Mac's had
> excellent support fo unix programs. So there would be nothing to stop
> you using GNU applications? In which case mysql would be perfect?

Philip Roy

In article <Dqgzb.17584$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"-[Myth]-" <mythdl@No_SPAM.users.sourceforge.net[spam_go_away]> wrote:

> I think that only OSX can run unix apps (being based on unix) but i may
> be wrong as I dont own a mac.
> Warwick wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:25:20 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
> >>I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
> >>spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
> >>what he needs.
> >>
> >>any suggestions?
> >>
> >>thanx
> >>Russell
> >>

> > dumb question from the cheap seats here ... but I thought Mac's had
> > excellent support fo unix programs. So there would be nothing to stop
> > you using GNU applications? In which case mysql would be perfect?
> >
> > please correct me if I am wrong, I know bugger all about MacIntoshs'
> > but my Prof swears by them. As soon as I can afford one I will take
> > the plunge.
> >
> > cheers
> > Warwick

I thin the original posting was about an Excel spreadsheet, so leaping
to mySQL is a big jump...my FileMaker suggestion was just for a nice
app, easy to set up files, very "office"-like so it won't scare the
person away.

OS X can handle mySQL etc. This site...
http://www.serverlogistics.com/
ha a lot of great donation-ware installers for getting it going....easy
to do...I've got database driven websites under development locally no
prob....but I think that's going way off the topic.

Try FMPro...it's easy to use, has a large supportive community out
there...is cross-platform and, did I say easy? Scriptable too

Phil

--
Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
http://www.bluengrey.com

MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community

whoisthis

In article <fr7zb.17084$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
> I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
> spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
> what he needs.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> thanx
> Russell

Filemaker pro.

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Philip Roy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And of course, FileMaker is cross-platform...runs on Macs and PC, can
> share database files etc....great program, easy to use.

And its multi-user! (one of the reasons why Access isn't a real DBMS)

Or is that what you meant by 'share database files'?
--
madknoxie