Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > S-ata raid

S-ata raid

T.N.O.

Acetyldehyde wrote:
> I have sucessfully set up two Sata discs as Raid0 and copied my OS off an
> IDE disc. If the old IDE is unplugged the system boots fine, but if I plug
> the old IDE back in the PC boots from it instead. This is even if I disable
> IDE booting in the Bios.
> Any suggestions?

Check the boot order maybe.

Is the SATA onboard, or add in card?

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Acetyldehyde wrote:

> I have sucessfully set up two Sata discs as Raid0 and copied my OS off an
> IDE disc. If the old IDE is unplugged the system boots fine, but if I plug
> the old IDE back in the PC boots from it instead. This is even if I disable
> IDE booting in the Bios.
> Any suggestions?

Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

If its a pci chip set the boot order to put scsi ahead of hdd0 and it should be
fine.

Rider

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqj69s$v1b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Acetyldehyde wrote:
>
> > I have sucessfully set up two Sata discs as Raid0 and copied my OS off

an
> > IDE disc. If the old IDE is unplugged the system boots fine, but if I

plug
> > the old IDE back in the PC boots from it instead. This is even if I

disable
> > IDE booting in the Bios.
> > Any suggestions?

> Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol

T.N.O.

Rider wrote:
>>>Any suggestions?

>>Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

> PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol

PCI Sata is usually considered to be SCSI by the OS.

Rider

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqja4p$22siq0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> >>Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

> > PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol

> PCI Sata is usually considered to be SCSI by the OS.

Well, I learned something, now I can go home

Acetyldehyde

Rider wrote:

>>>IDE booting in the Bios.
>>>Any suggestions?

>>Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?
>>

> PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol

Newer intel chipsets are the only ones that do SATA in the chipset, the rest of
the boards (nforce etc) just use a PCI controller like a silicon image or
similar. Its still a PCI device even though its on the motherboard, and as such
needs you to screw around with _floppy disks_ of drivers when installing windows
onto them.

They also are stuck behind the 133 meg/sec limit of PCI, and unlike onboard IDE
controllers cant use the normal IRQ 14/15 that the onboard chipset IDE does, so
it will conflict with various PCI cards making you do the slot shuffle inorder
to get everything working smoothly. All headaches for no gain. I think some of
the newer VIA chipsets have SATA in the southbridge but I havent really looked
for motherboards for some time. Im happy with what I have for now