Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Hard Drive

New Hard Drive

kevcat@orcon.net.nz

I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
Is this normal
Thanks
Kev
Like Minds ...Like Mine

JedMeister

There are utilities to monitor HDD temp.Check out...

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r837.html

The underneath of my Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook gets too hot to comfortably
touch.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
> Is this normal
> Thanks
> Kev
> Like Minds ...Like Mine

XPD

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
> Is this normal

What brand ? 5400 or 7200 RPM ?

My Seagate 40gb 7200 (ST340016A) gets damn hot but have read that its normal
for them to get hot. To be on the safe side ive got mine in a HDD cooler
unit, dont want to lose all my data
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH5092
is what im using... not brilliant but does hte job (and i didnt pay that
much for it either... theyve gone up in price hehe)

Phillip Weston

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:00:30 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
>> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
>> Is this normal

>What brand ? 5400 or 7200 RPM ?
>
>My Seagate 40gb 7200 (ST340016A) gets damn hot but have read that its normal
>for them to get hot. To be on the safe side ive got mine in a HDD cooler
>unit, dont want to lose all my data
>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH5092
>is what im using... not brilliant but does hte job (and i didnt pay that
>much for it either... theyve gone up in price hehe)

I have the exact same drive Gavin, and mine sits on 30C. I have no
extra case cooling or anything.

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

XPD

"Phillip Weston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have the exact same drive Gavin, and mine sits on 30C. I have no
> extra case cooling or anything.

Is that 30 using that HDD temp program mentioned ? Cause it dosent seem to
change temp at all :-p
The main program itself says 30, yet the testing util they supply to make
sure your HDD is supported, states 35 degrees

But yeah, Im jsut being paranoid, I cant afford a new drive so would rather
this one dont pack it in for any reason

steve

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) allegedly said:

> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
> Is this normal
> Thanks
> Kev
> Like Minds ...Like Mine

What brand / model is it?

I just bought a Western Digital 120GB the other day....and haven't installed
it yet.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Gregory Parker

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:03:10 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
>It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
>Is this normal
>Thanks
>Kev
>Like Minds ...Like Mine

No if it to hot to touch, its to hot

Is it a Seagate by any chance..?

They need a fan in front of them..

Also get hold of HDtemp and run it, it will show the true Temp..

Nicholas Sherlock

Gregory Parker wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:03:10 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
>> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
>> Is this normal
>> Thanks
>> Kev
>> Like Minds ...Like Mine

> No if it to hot to touch, its to hot
>

> Is it a Seagate by any chance..?
>
> They need a fan in front of them..

That's just not true. I run a seagate 80 gig 7200rpm drive, and it sits
around 33 degrees. If you have any sort of airflow through your case and the
drive is not sandwiched between two other drives, you'll be fine.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

~misfit~

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Gregory Parker wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:03:10 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
>>> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
>>> Is this normal
>>> Thanks
>>> Kev
>>> Like Minds ...Like Mine

>> No if it to hot to touch, its to hot
>>

>> Is it a Seagate by any chance..?
>>
>> They need a fan in front of them..

> That's just not true. I run a seagate 80 gig 7200rpm drive, and it
> sits around 33 degrees. If you have any sort of airflow through your
> case and the drive is not sandwiched between two other drives, you'll
> be fine.

Totally agree, same drive here, runs at 35C.
--
~misfit~