Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Deleted emails just keep comming back

Reply
Thread Tools

Deleted emails just keep comming back

 
 
M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2003
Hi all,

Windows 2000 Server SP4 + Exchange 2000 SP3. Each time the server is
rebooted, deleted emails for each user come back. Different for each user,
and can be since the last time it was rebooted, a random amount, say 5 for
one user, 400 for another. All with random 'received' times, and are a mix
of internal and external mail.

Any obvious reason for this?? Clients are either Exchange Clients or POP,
and it does it for both.

When server is rebooted it takes literally hours to fully load - its
processing all those deleted emails from somewhere. Store.exe sits at 100%
Utilization for some hours, hard drives go crazy.

Its done this on Exchange 2000 SP2 + Win2k Server SP3. (Does SP4 still have
issues with Exchange 2000?)

I just got no idea where its storing them. I asume in the main database
which doesnt look unsually big. It seems when a user deletes them, and
empties out that deleted item box it doesnt always happen. On the client end
its gone, reboot, and their back in your inbox 'unread'

Most annoying

Matt.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Simon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2003

"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zPCyb.10697$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Windows 2000 Server SP4 + Exchange 2000 SP3. Each time the server is
> rebooted, deleted emails for each user come back. Different for each user,
> and can be since the last time it was rebooted, a random amount, say 5 for
> one user, 400 for another. All with random 'received' times, and are a mix
> of internal and external mail.
>
> Any obvious reason for this?? Clients are either Exchange Clients or POP,
> and it does it for both.
>
> When server is rebooted it takes literally hours to fully load - its
> processing all those deleted emails from somewhere. Store.exe sits at 100%
> Utilization for some hours, hard drives go crazy.
>
> Its done this on Exchange 2000 SP2 + Win2k Server SP3. (Does SP4 still

have
> issues with Exchange 2000?)
>
> I just got no idea where its storing them. I asume in the main database
> which doesnt look unsually big. It seems when a user deletes them, and
> empties out that deleted item box it doesnt always happen. On the client

end
> its gone, reboot, and their back in your inbox 'unread'
>
> Most annoying
>
> Matt.
>
>


Matt,

Check that the messages aren't stuck in the inbound SMTP folder.

We had a similar issue where some inbound SMTP wasn't been deleted after
been received, everytime the server rebooted it would process all the files
in the queue and they would reappear in peoples inboxs.

I think it turned out to be one message that was causing the problem, I got
round it by shutting down the exchange services and deleting all the inbound
SMTP from the queue, that was about 3 months ago and we haven't had the
problem since.

I have been running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS for just over a month now without
incident.

Simon
www.Really-Cheap-International-Calls.co.uk


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Simon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2003

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eJhHuI$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I have been running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS for just over a month now

without
> incident.
>


Ok, I mean't running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS SP4 for just over a month now
without incident.


Simon
www.Really-Cheap-International-Calls.co.uk



 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Strickland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2003
Thanks Simon, ill look into that, hopefully this problem is just as simple.
Ive got the server up and running again, tho I know next time I reboot it
will do this again, ill stop the services and check the inbound SMTP folder,
see what I come up with.

Inncodently, I checked the external mail going OUT of exchange (mail going
out of the domain to another) and it also does this when its re-booted. So
not only people within the domain get old email, so do out customers!

Thanks

Matt


"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uy26rK$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eJhHuI$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I have been running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS for just over a month now

> without
> > incident.
> >

>
> Ok, I mean't running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS SP4 for just over a month now
> without incident.
>
>
> Simon
> www.Really-Cheap-International-Calls.co.uk
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Strickland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2003
Well I didnt find any items stuck in inbound SMTP folders, but I have
installed the SP3 roll-up package, rebooted and no old emails returned. Im
going to do another reboot test to see if it fixed it in a few days.
Store.exe is behaving now too, not getting too big on memory usage.

Matt


"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uy26rK$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eJhHuI$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I have been running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS for just over a month now

> without
> > incident.
> >

>
> Ok, I mean't running Exch 2000 on Win 2K AS SP4 for just over a month now
> without incident.
>
>
> Simon
> www.Really-Cheap-International-Calls.co.uk
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Are deleted pictures REALLY deleted? khoshhon@gmail.com Computer Support 3 01-01-2009 08:53 AM
Re: Are deleted pictures REALLY deleted? John Holmes Computer Support 7 12-31-2008 04:46 PM
Re: Are deleted pictures REALLY deleted? Bucky Breeder Computer Support 0 12-31-2008 02:58 PM
Record not being deleted in dbase, even tho the display on datagrid is deleted.. Chumley the Walrus ASP .Net Web Controls 2 08-10-2004 02:23 PM
where are those qtagged frames comming from? Andree Toonk Cisco 2 01-29-2004 08:19 PM



Advertisments