Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > Project ECW

Project ECW

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

I don't mean the resolution as in screen size, I mean in quality level. I just rendered that in 640x480 screen size, didn't see a point to making it any bigger, it's not gonna be a wallpaper or anything.

Actually Photoshop has a plugin that does pretty much the same thing as this, but a lot faster. I think it's either with one of the KPT or Alien Skin packages.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Well heres some semi detailed renders done in 3ds max with pure hand movement in 20 minutes , no where near as detailed as this program u use

Attached Images
File Type: jpg semi_render1.jpg (189.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg semi_render2.jpg (187.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg semi_render3.jpg (197.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg semi_render4.jpg (197.3 KB, 12 views)

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Uh, 3DS Max is actually a lot more powerful than TrueSpace, which is what I mostly use. I just never took the time to learn it, and at this point in my life I doubt I ever will. Between TrueSpace, Maya, Lightwave, Photoshop, Illustrator, Xara Xtreme, Corel Painter, PSP, Bryce, Poser and all the other art programs I've had to learn I've filled my head, no more room left.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Its heaps good for modeling, because of its NURMS and NURBS tools, and Vertex editing. It can also render very well, with life like effects such as Radiosity and Refraction/reflection. and other tools for advanced lighting techniques, i would also have to say it has the best Material editor and TextureMapping tools out of most of the editors i have used worth learning i would have to say.

There is a few downsides, its character skinning/bones are quite hard to master. But once down u can use tons of cooler physics tools like Ragdoll.

But there is one tool that is sweet for rending, and thats Particle systems. You can create your own from scratch, sound waves in relation to speeds, explosiones related to collision. tons of stuff

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

TrueSpace will do all of that, but those aren't things I have a lot of use for most of the time. Nurbs and Metaballs occasionally, but particles and so forth are more of use in animation and I haven't had a need to do any 3D animations in a long long time.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Back on track. Al, do you think your laser etching contacts could do something like this justice?

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Sure. That might be a good v.2 window, one you can't see through. If you go with the v.1 window, some light will come through. Send an e-mail to Tommy at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) , and tell him Big Al sent you.

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

*Thick Italian Mafia accent* "Hey Tommy.... i'm here for the window. Big Al sent me"

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Yeaaaahhh. That's the ticket!

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Isn't v2 the kind that NO light gets through, even where there ISN'T etching? Why would I want that? I want the etch to light up. Or am I misunderstanding exactly what v2 is? I want the etch to pop with the light that I use in the case but don't necessarally care to see the guts.