Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > Project ECW

Project ECW

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Thanks... I'm a big Rob Zombie fan, tend to listen to his CD's until they wear out, then have to buy them again. I think I'm on my third copy of Hellbilly Deluxe. Probably my 15th of White Zombie's three albums. (not counting remix albums).

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

I remember the last time I heard Hellbilly Deluxe was 6 years ago or so, I was in my brother's room and we were having fun with a bigas capacitor and a screwdriver touching the screwdriver to the terminals, good shower of sparks comes off

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Hahahha, you do have a strange set of hobbies man.

Just finished listening to El Phantasmo & The Chicken Run Blast-o-Rama, Thunderkiss '65 now.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

I wonder if you can find some people that want custom cases built with their theme in mind. Sort of being comissioned to do a system build. I did one of those about 2 years ago, and it was called Maskirovka.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

If I find them, ya know, er, that's what I do, so, they'd kinda be my customers first. Kinda like going to McDonalds and saying to the manager "Hey man, if you see any hungry people with money could ya send 'em over to my Burger King? Thanks man!"

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

I'm not asking you to find me customers. I'm suggesting that you go find some customers for yourself. Silly Modfather. I don't need extra work. I'm only selling off older systems to make room for newer systems. It's the modder's way.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

if you wanted to mod computers as a job, it would have the best way of working as.

You Build a Standard computer into a start case, with a few lighting mods and a fan swap and a fan controller, and even a little Matrix Orbital LCD.

You Build a pre designed Mod, eg you have a Case that you can always mod the same way every time, and its a mod everyone likes

and then you have Customer Picked modding, they give you a design to work with, or a theme. You quote/Design and quote and they must pay a certain fee there (depending on if u have to design from a theme). Then you charge say $10 hour for every hour worked on the case, they pay for all parts, Machinery is covered in the $10/hour labour.

That would be the best way to work out the production

Make sure u get advertising, and dont put to much of a Work on your self. If if you become sucessful company, u can leech out to our countries.

I would help in Australia

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Well that's sort of what I want to do, but in a slightly more extreme way. I started off selling just custom hand etched clear cases, but the laser etching industry has sort of made that artform less desirable. Why go with a hand etched design when laser etching is so much more precise and clean and also a lot cheaper. Moulding custom cases using polymer clay is an option but they'd be very heavy and expensive to do, running an average of $100 extra just for the clay itself then there's the time and effort on my part. Who'd buy 'em? Hard to find customers for $500-$1000 cases. Doing simple lighting and so forth isn't something anyone would really want because they can do that themselves and in effect you'd just be a case reseller because lighting and so forth isn't really modding.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

And so you are going to turn to modding printer chassis. It's only natural....

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

You have a point there modfather. But I still reckon if u can mod a case to look good, with low costs, and easy to mod it to that shape. Then you have yourself a seller.

Hand Etch isn't worth it anymore.. unless ur in my prediciment, where it would cost more to send the window then it does to make it.