Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > Project ECW

Project ECW

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Dunno, I wouldn't trust a M$ product if I can help it. I use Word because I have to and that's it outside of Winbl0wZ.

Why the heck would you use Vista? Even when it's released I don't think I wanna use it.

BTW: Why not have a look at what all this ECW stuff has been leading up to.
http://www.ecwreborn.com

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Vista Looks cool, thats it, i am going to do a breif Article on Beta 2

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Al, Acrobat is so damned slow and sluggish, have you tried any of the PDF alternatives out there? - Nope. I've only used Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

I'm gonna have to do some research into PDF alternatives, I know that MPC or CPU did a writeup on a couple of free ones a month or two ago, gotta go check the mags.

Did either of ya look at ecwreborn.com? Any comments?

Project update: Yeah, it's finished but I decided to add a couple of touches. That vent on the top of the P180 just made too perfect a ring entrance ramp so I built a ring curtain with a sign over it and mounted that to the back end of the vent and added some action figures. (I know, I didn't plan to do that but what the heck, it adds something to it).

Pics of that maybe tomorrow.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Ok, da pics.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

The glowing feet just add extra ownage effects

How did u end up getting the light to shine through the Widow or should i say etch?

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Oh that window looks hot. And Nathan is right about the glowing feet. How about a picture of the inside showing the lighting effects for the window?

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

by the of the pictures i have seen of the inside, i think theres a Large amount of wires

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Yeah, a lot of wires but not as bad as it was because I scrapped the Sunbeam Chameleon. That removed a total of 8 wires from the case.

The lighting is done by first putting a piece of parchment paper (the kind you use for cooking, Cook's Club parchment paper to be exact) behind the etch and I used round CCFL's from fans to light it, two red, two blue, along with two Hyperlights cutting across the interior of the case. It's not ideal but at the time we didn't have any standard CCFL's to light it with white like I'd originally intended. I nnow have 4 white 15" CCFL's and 2 4"'ers but I am thinking about maybe getting a purple gel to cover those in and see how that looks because purple was the original plan for the light color. Only problem is (and this is one of the few flaws with the P180 case) there isn't enough room between the case side and the drive cages inside to mount ANY lighting at all. That's a major bummer.

I'm surprised, that's the first pic I took of the thing where you see the lighted feet. I thought there were others but, oddly enough nope. Those were put on over a month ago.

I think it's finally done, as in totally and completely and move on to the next project done. If you (Nathan) can score that review for me, that'd be the only other change to it before I put it into perminant use as my main rig.

Next project will either be "Faktory Default" or "Zombie". Haven't decided quiet yet. Faktory Default will be a very low end system with a cost to build of under $300 (not including hardware, which will be only parts we have laying around) and will be built to sell only. Zombie will be my first AMD rig for my own use and will be built as I can afford to buy the parts for it.

There's a mockup of Faktory Default on my site under the concepts worklog, none for Zombie though, that'll be a bit different. I'm going to borrow Al's idea for the hand coming out of the top of the thing and use some creative techniques for painting the case to make it look like either stone or earth or what not with the right side panel being airbrushed with Rob Zombie style art (think Hellbilly Deluxe cover).

(Pic of cover here)

Guts will be based around next gen AMD technology.

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

heh i haven't heard any of Hellbilly Deluxe for about 6 years. Sounds like a good plan. The ECW Case turned out damn nice, well done