Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Video Card Upgrade

Video Card Upgrade

Adam Cameron

G'day.
It looks like I need to upgrade my video card so as to be able to play
Deus Ex 2 (and H/L2, if it ever actually gets released

Currently I've got a GeForce2 GTS thingey, which doesn't do DX9 stuff

I'm well behind the game as far as "what's good and what's not"
vis-a-vis video cards, so I figured I might ask for advice here.

It seems that the two main contenders are some manner of GeForce4, or
a Radeon 9xxx.

I don't really want to fork out fior an absolute top of the line model
(I'm not the sort of person who needs the whizziest [thing]), but I
guess I'm looking at around $300?

Looking at Tom's Hardware (where they've just benchmarked a bunch of
cards against H/L2), it seems that the Radeons are the way to go. But
H/L2 isn't the only consideration, and I'm not sure whether this just
means that Value have done more work with ATI than they have with
nVidia to get the best out of the cards.

Any opinions?

Adam

Lebowski

Radeon 9600 Pro!

My ti4200 is playing the Deus Ex 2 demo and Max Payne 2 demo sweet (though
MP2 is a DX8.1 game), but the Radeon 9600 Pro would be the best bang for the
buck right now, and around the $300 mark, can't go wrong.

"Adam Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> G'day.
> It looks like I need to upgrade my video card so as to be able to play
> Deus Ex 2 (and H/L2, if it ever actually gets released
>
> Currently I've got a GeForce2 GTS thingey, which doesn't do DX9 stuff
>

> I'm well behind the game as far as "what's good and what's not"
> vis-a-vis video cards, so I figured I might ask for advice here.
>
> It seems that the two main contenders are some manner of GeForce4, or
> a Radeon 9xxx.
>
> I don't really want to fork out fior an absolute top of the line model
> (I'm not the sort of person who needs the whizziest [thing]), but I
> guess I'm looking at around $300?
>
> Looking at Tom's Hardware (where they've just benchmarked a bunch of
> cards against H/L2), it seems that the Radeons are the way to go. But
> H/L2 isn't the only consideration, and I'm not sure whether this just
> means that Value have done more work with ATI than they have with
> nVidia to get the best out of the cards.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Adam

jfwilson

"Adam Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> G'day.
> It looks like I need to upgrade my video card so as to be able to play
> Deus Ex 2 (and H/L2, if it ever actually gets released
>
> Currently I've got a GeForce2 GTS thingey, which doesn't do DX9 stuff
>

> I'm well behind the game as far as "what's good and what's not"
> vis-a-vis video cards, so I figured I might ask for advice here.
>
> It seems that the two main contenders are some manner of GeForce4, or
> a Radeon 9xxx.
>
> I don't really want to fork out fior an absolute top of the line model
> (I'm not the sort of person who needs the whizziest [thing]), but I
> guess I'm looking at around $300?
>
> Looking at Tom's Hardware (where they've just benchmarked a bunch of
> cards against H/L2), it seems that the Radeons are the way to go. But
> H/L2 isn't the only consideration, and I'm not sure whether this just
> means that Value have done more work with ATI than they have with
> nVidia to get the best out of the cards.
>
> Any opinions?

This may help a little:
http://www.computing.net/cpus/wwwboard/forum/7156.html

Gregory Parker

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:12:14 +1300, "jfwilson"
<jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>"Adam Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> G'day.
>> It looks like I need to upgrade my video card so as to be able to play
>> Deus Ex 2 (and H/L2, if it ever actually gets released
>>
>> Currently I've got a GeForce2 GTS thingey, which doesn't do DX9 stuff
>>

>> I'm well behind the game as far as "what's good and what's not"
>> vis-a-vis video cards, so I figured I might ask for advice here.
>>
>> It seems that the two main contenders are some manner of GeForce4, or
>> a Radeon 9xxx.

GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..

You need a Geforce FX card for that..

>> I don't really want to fork out fior an absolute top of the line model
>> (I'm not the sort of person who needs the whizziest [thing]), but I
>> guess I'm looking at around $300?
>>
>> Looking at Tom's Hardware (where they've just benchmarked a bunch of
>> cards against H/L2), it seems that the Radeons are the way to go. But
>> H/L2 isn't the only consideration, and I'm not sure whether this just
>> means that Value have done more work with ATI than they have with
>> nVidia to get the best out of the cards.
>>
>> Any opinions?

>This may help a little:
>http://www.computing.net/cpus/wwwboard/forum/7156.html

jfwilson

"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
>
> You need a Geforce FX card for that..

Just how big a deal is dx9?
When you run a game that actually uses it with
a dx9 capable card how noticeable will be the difference?

Adam Cameron

>GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
>You need a Geforce FX card for that..

Sorry, yes. I was citing a website that described the FXs as a part
of the GeForce4 stable. I *meant* GeForce FX

(told you I was ignorant!)

So that being the case, ignore the GeForce4 comment, and assume I
meant GeForce FX.. Opinions?

To be honest, everything I've had recommended at me (this thread,
elsewhere) says "Radeon". Should I even bother considering GeForce
cards?

Cheers for bearing with me.

Adam

Gregory Parker

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:02:47 +1300, Adam Cameron <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
>>You need a Geforce FX card for that..

>Sorry, yes. I was citing a website that described the FXs as a part
>of the GeForce4 stable. I *meant* GeForce FX
>
>(told you I was ignorant!)
>
>So that being the case, ignore the GeForce4 comment, and assume I
>meant GeForce FX.. Opinions?
>
>To be honest, everything I've had recommended at me (this thread,
>elsewhere) says "Radeon". Should I even bother considering GeForce
>cards?
>
>Cheers for bearing with me.
>
>Adam

It seems that the ATI cards have a far better support for DX9, as MS used the
some of the ATI recommendations and not the Nvidia ones..

It seem from all the articles that I have read that the Nvidia are better
cards and drivers, but have crap DX9 support.

Lebowski

"jfwilson" <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
news:JPZyb.10954$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > GeForce4 does not do DX9, its just a upgraded GF2..
> >
> > You need a Geforce FX card for that..

> Just how big a deal is dx9?
> When you run a game that actually uses it with
> a dx9 capable card how noticeable will be the difference?

Exactly. With my ti4200, GTA Vice City looks absolutely great, as does the
Deus Ex 2 demo. You can still see realtime directional lighting and all
sorts of cool eyecandy effects. Both of these games are "true DirectX 9
games". It's all hype.

The release of Half-Life 2 will be a telling point, but I'm keen to give it
a spin on the ti4200 and try my luck. I guarantee it will still look great.
A few anal gaming geeks will quibble over not seeing this and not seeing
that, but they can go **** themselves or go see some daylight or real people

Andre Southgate

I had wicked stability problems with my radeon pro 9700.
conflicts with everything and drivers are damn near
impossible to upgrade under XP. Also a 400W PSU is pretty
much a must.

I just paid for an upgrade from that to a Standard 5900
128MB GeForce FX and I have never been happier.

>>> Adam Cameron<(E-Mail Removed)> 3/12/03 12:02:47

a.m. >>>