Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Okay ...now I have to reformat....help reqd.

Okay ...now I have to reformat....help reqd.

NZed

Thanks to those who forwarded the file viaagp1.sys

It seems my settings are all gone....ie cannot get the start menu when I
open up.

So I thought I should reformat my C drive and start all over again.

Can someone run through this for me with Win Xp..or point me in the right
direction.

Whats the short cut keys to enter the dos...or do I ?

alt F6 or alt F8 ....
I cannot manage to find it.
and then
C:/format C:
is that correct ?
then follow instructions ?
I may also wish to partition the hardrive. c and d

Its probably the best thing I should of done at the beginning instead of
wasting all my time.

Thanks

David

T.N.O.

NZed wrote:
> Can someone run through this for me with Win Xp..or point me in the right
> direction.

ok... restart your PC, go into the bios(most likely press "del" key)
There will be a setting somewhere in there about boot options, as in
which drive it will boot from first, set this to CD.

Chuck your XP CD in the drive, and follow the instructions.

EAgle

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Sn7yb.10445$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to those who forwarded the file viaagp1.sys
>
> It seems my settings are all gone....ie cannot get the start menu when I
> open up.
>
> So I thought I should reformat my C drive and start all over again.
>
> Can someone run through this for me with Win Xp..or point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Whats the short cut keys to enter the dos...or do I ?
>
> alt F6 or alt F8 ....
> I cannot manage to find it.
> and then
> C:/format C:
> is that correct ?
> then follow instructions ?
> I may also wish to partition the hardrive. c and d
>

> Its probably the best thing I should of done at the beginning instead of
> wasting all my time.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

There is no need to go into DOS, just configure your BIOS to boot from CD
and then just boot using the windows XP cd. During setup just select the
option to format the drive that should do that trick.

EAgle

PseUDO

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Sn7yb.10445$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to those who forwarded the file viaagp1.sys
>
> It seems my settings are all gone....ie cannot get the start menu when I
> open up.
>
> So I thought I should reformat my C drive and start all over again.
>
> Can someone run through this for me with Win Xp..or point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Whats the short cut keys to enter the dos...or do I ?
>
> alt F6 or alt F8 ....
> I cannot manage to find it.
> and then
> C:/format C:
> is that correct ?
> then follow instructions ?
> I may also wish to partition the hardrive. c and d
>

> Its probably the best thing I should of done at the beginning instead of
> wasting all my time.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

First restart computer then hit the key that lets you enter the BIOS, it may
come up on your screen each time you boot saying "press F1 to enter setup"
or something like that.

Once you are in the BIOS go to the boot section and change the boot order to
cdrom drive at the top of the list.

Then put your windows xp disk into the drive and then save the BIOS settings
and reboot.

Your windows xp CD should then load up with a " press any key" message,
press a key to start the xp CD loading.

Then follow the instructions for reloading, it will tell you that you
already have xp installed, but ignore that because a few steps later you get
the option of reformating the partition for a new clean install of windows.

Once windows is loaded up take out the CD and then reboot and go back into
the BIOS and change the boot order back to "hard drive" at the top of the
list, then save and exit the BIOS, restart the computer and your all set to
go.

No need to worry about using format c: commands anymore!!.

Hope this helps.

PseUDO

NZed

Thanks guys

Found out my first little problem.

My keyboard has a F function key to get the F keys to work.(annoying )
like a shift key.

Yes ...once I found that I could get to the bios.

Then confirm and reset my cd to start on boot up.

Now its going to plan and reformating the hardrive.

Thanks again

David

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Sn7yb.10445$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to those who forwarded the file viaagp1.sys
>
> It seems my settings are all gone....ie cannot get the start menu when I
> open up.
>
> So I thought I should reformat my C drive and start all over again.
>
> Can someone run through this for me with Win Xp..or point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Whats the short cut keys to enter the dos...or do I ?
>
> alt F6 or alt F8 ....
> I cannot manage to find it.
> and then
> C:/format C:
> is that correct ?
> then follow instructions ?
> I may also wish to partition the hardrive. c and d
>

> Its probably the best thing I should of done at the beginning instead of
> wasting all my time.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Fishb8

Hi PSEudo
"Once windows is loaded up take out the CD and then reboot and go back into
the BIOS and change the boot order back to "hard drive" at the top of the
list, then save and exit the BIOS, restart the computer and your all set to
go."
Why does the boot order need to be changed back to hard drive, first boot.
Mine is still set on CD, first boot and it works ok.
Roy

Brendan

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 05:31:02 +1300, "Fishb8" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Why does the boot order need to be changed back to hard drive, first boot.
>Mine is still set on CD, first boot and it works ok.

It doesn't.

The correct order is:

1. Floppy
2. CDROM
3. Hard drive

--

....Brendan

Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.
J.K.Galbraith

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

T.N.O.

Brendan wrote:
>>Why does the boot order need to be changed back to hard drive, first boot.
>>Mine is still set on CD, first boot and it works ok.

> It doesn't.
> The correct order is:
> 1. Floppy
> 2. CDROM
> 3. Hard drive

what makes this correct, and any other incorrect?

PseUDO

"Brendan" <corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 05:31:02 +1300, "Fishb8" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Why does the boot order need to be changed back to hard drive, first

boot.
> >Mine is still set on CD, first boot and it works ok.

Some systems will slow down while booting in order to check for either a
floppy disk or a cd , by putting hard drive first it will detect your
installed operating system and boot up straight away, which in turn gives
you a faster boot up time.

On some systems of course the time difference is hardly noticeable, but on
many older systems , the delay is noticeable.

PseUDO

Brendan

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:58:01 +1300, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brendan wrote:
>>>Why does the boot order need to be changed back to hard drive, first boot.
>>>Mine is still set on CD, first boot and it works ok.

>> It doesn't.
>> The correct order is:
>> 1. Floppy
>> 2. CDROM
>> 3. Hard drive

>what makes this correct, and any other incorrect?

My Say So.

To have any removeable disk AFTER a bootable HD means the removeables
are only bootable in event of removal/destruction of the bootsector of
the HD.

The floppy comes first because some tutorials and how-to's for
beginners assume it is first.

Okay to Auction? Tony S Cisco 2 04-16-2005 06:02 PM
2K Okay, no go on the 2K3 Web Server Jerry M. Gartner ASP .Net 2 12-27-2003 03:41 AM
OKAY NOW I AM PIST! ListBox x 2. and Response.Redirect ODB ASP .Net 1 12-20-2003 11:40 PM
Is it okay to have 2 anti-virus progs running at same time Monty Computer Support 4 08-24-2003 05:57 AM
Re: ViewState + AutoIncrement -- Okay; Session + AutoIncrement -- Not okay Gene Gorokhovsky ASP .Net 0 07-17-2003 02:48 PM

Advertisments