Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Annoying

Annoying

steve

I wanted to set up two PCs to use the same keyboard and screen.....so i
added the switch-box cables to (powered off) system "A". "A" had been
running fine for months.

Then connected up system "B" to the switch box.

Then plugged the actual screen and keyboard cabled to the switch box.

Switched to "A" - poweered up the system (RH 9 Linux). All OK.

Switched to "B" - powered up the system (Gentoo 1.4 Linux)

......and it went fine to just after USB and PCI Hotplugging
start-up............

......and stoppd cold. Repeat as often as required - same result.

Hmmm.

Got out a SuSE 9.2 install CD - and boot up.

Gets to Floppy drive init......and stops cold. Repeat as required.

Hmmm.

Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.

But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside the
box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
power-off/power-up.

Weird.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

T.N.O.

steve wrote:
> But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside the
> box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
> power-off/power-up.
> Weird.

It happens, deal with it.

If it had been windows, it would have probably balked while still
running, something to do with the way that it mounts drives, and "seeks"
them on and off... but Linux only mounts them when media is added.

It probably(well, definately) died sometime after you last used it.

Enkidu

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:32:03 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wanted to set up two PCs to use the same keyboard and screen.....so i
>added the switch-box cables to (powered off) system "A". "A" had been
>running fine for months.
>
>Then connected up system "B" to the switch box.
>
>Then plugged the actual screen and keyboard cabled to the switch box.
>
>Switched to "A" - poweered up the system (RH 9 Linux). All OK.
>
>Switched to "B" - powered up the system (Gentoo 1.4 Linux)
>
>.....and it went fine to just after USB and PCI Hotplugging
>start-up............
>
>.....and stoppd cold. Repeat as often as required - same result.
>
>Hmmm.
>
>Got out a SuSE 9.2 install CD - and boot up.
>
>Gets to Floppy drive init......and stops cold. Repeat as required.
>
>Hmmm.
>
>Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.
>
>But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside the
>box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
>power-off/power-up.

What's a floppy drive?

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

steve

Enkidu allegedly said:

>>Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.
>>
>>But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or anything inside the
>>box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
>>power-off/power-up.
>>

> What's a floppy drive?

A.K.A. "sneaker net".

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> steve wrote:
>> But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or *anything* inside
>> the box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
>> power-off/power-up.
>> Weird.

> It happens, deal with it.
>
> If it had been windows, it would have probably balked while still
> running, something to do with the way that it mounts drives, and "seeks"
> them on and off... but Linux only mounts them when media is added.
>
> It probably(well, definately) died sometime after you last used it.

I don't think I ever actually did use it.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Enkidu

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:57:35 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Enkidu allegedly said:
>
>>>Disconnect floppy drive......and all system boot fine and work OK.
>>>
>>>But I didn't touch the friggin' floppy drive, mobo or anything inside the
>>>box. The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after a
>>>power-off/power-up.
>>>

>> What's a floppy drive?

>A.K.A. "sneaker net".

Oh, you mean one of those little USB pen drives? Why do you call it a
floppy? <grin>

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Dave Taylor

The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after
> a power-off/power-up.
>
> Weird.

This is why I turn off "Floppy Seek" in the bios. If it is on, the MB
tries to move the floppy head every time it posts, so the floppy eventually
wears out.
Ciao, Dave

steve

Dave Taylor allegedly said:

> The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after
>> a power-off/power-up.
>>
>> Weird.
>>

> This is why I turn off "Floppy Seek" in the bios. If it is on, the MB
> tries to move the floppy head every time it posts, so the floppy
> eventually wears out.
> Ciao, Dave

Ta. Good advice.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:43:49 +1300, steve wrote:

> Dave Taylor allegedly said:
>
>> The floppy drive seems to have just crapped out after
>>> a power-off/power-up.
>>>
>>> Weird.
>>>

>> This is why I turn off "Floppy Seek" in the bios. If it is on, the MB
>> tries to move the floppy head every time it posts, so the floppy
>> eventually wears out.

Uh.....

Bad move.

Fan on PSU drawing air out of the case,
air being sucked in every available crevice - including the floppy.
air containing dust....

Drives which don't periodically seek, clog up with dust - sometimes taking
irreplaceable backup disks with them.

Ask Linux owners about this. The systems don't crash much and one of the
biggest bugbears is premature failure of the floppy drives through lack of
exercise.

$HINT: man diskseekd - it prolongs the drive's life.

steve

Uncle StoatWarbler allegedly said:

> Drives which don't periodically seek, clog up with dust - sometimes taking
> irreplaceable backup disks with them.
>
> Ask Linux owners about this. The systems don't crash much and one of the
> biggest bugbears is premature failure of the floppy drives through lack of
> exercise.

I think that is what happened to me. I should tape over the front of my FDs
when not in use....to keep the dust out.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Annoying URL behaviour in Firefox 1.0 WordUP Firefox 4 01-23-2005 09:33 PM
annoying SP2 wireless problem =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?= Wireless Networking 1 08-16-2004 10:16 PM
Annoying Bug Repo Man Firefox 7 09-25-2003 10:55 PM
seriously ANNOYING problems with Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 Astromannix Firefox 1 08-13-2003 09:03 AM
Annoying Mail message box Steve Firefox 2 08-05-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments