Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Machine looses HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

XP Machine looses HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Hi all,

Had a machine given to me to fix the other day, user logged on... then the
logon box greyed out... and that was it. After some time I could run task
manager (ctrl+alt+del) but I couldnt run ANYTHING... I got an error that the
'exe' was not associated.
I figured how do I associate when I cant run aything? - I decided to try to
export a 'exe' association from another registry. Did this, only to find
'reg' files were also not associated.
By this time I was pulling straws, rebooted in safe mode with command, found
that regedit ran so I could import registry files. Imported a few essentials
but to no avail... then I noticed, everything inside KHEY_CLASSES_ROOT was
missing! - which made sence but..

How did it happen? User said they logged off, put machine away (laptop) for
an hour, came back, turned on, logged on and it was like that. No1 else used
it etc....

Just curious to how it happened, and more so if its going to happen again!

Mike

"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<OYFxb.10319$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi all,
>
> Had a machine given to me to fix the other day, user logged on... then the
> logon box greyed out... and that was it. After some time I could run task
> manager (ctrl+alt+del) but I couldnt run ANYTHING... I got an error that the
> 'exe' was not associated.
> I figured how do I associate when I cant run aything? - I decided to try to
> export a 'exe' association from another registry. Did this, only to find
> 'reg' files were also not associated.
> By this time I was pulling straws, rebooted in safe mode with command, found
> that regedit ran so I could import registry files. Imported a few essentials
> but to no avail... then I noticed, everything inside KHEY_CLASSES_ROOT was
> missing! - which made sence but..
>
> How did it happen? User said they logged off, put machine away (laptop) for
> an hour, came back, turned on, logged on and it was like that. No1 else used
> it etc....
>
> Just curious to how it happened, and more so if its going to happen again!

I've had this happen four times now since August. Once with XP Home,
once with XP Pro installed on top of XP Home and now twice with XP Pro
(clean install). The XP "system restore" is a joke.

The first three times it happened after coming back from a "hibernate"
so I figured that XP wasn't clearing the disk cache before it went to
sleep. I disabled Hibernate and Standby and figured I'd be okay. This
last time, however, it happened with just a restart. Not good.

Some KB articles talk about potential causes (814545 comes to mind
with its, "The registry resiliency code in Windows XP Service Pack 1
(SP1) removes corrupted registry keys when Windows starts, but may
inadvertently delete a subset of keys").

Anyway, I've taken to periodically backing up the registry and then
restoring it when this happens. It worked the last time, anyway (I'm
attempting another restore right now). I restart the machine in "Safe
Mode - with Command Prompt", run Regedit and do an import from there.
You're right about the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT being the problem. In two
cases I had about half the keys there but this last one wiped out the
entire HEKY_CLASSES_ROOT. The import errors out at some point but upon
reboot the machine starts ok.

Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
POS ever released.

Enkidu

On 4 Dec 2003 14:17:25 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mike) wrote:

>I've had this happen four times now since August. Once with XP Home,
>once with XP Pro installed on top of XP Home and now twice with XP Pro
>(clean install). The XP "system restore" is a joke.

{snip]

>Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
>POS ever released.

What do you guys do to these machines to make them misbehave so? I've
had XP for over a year and I've installed it on maybe half a dozen
other machines. I've not had any such problems or had them reported to
me.

It's a good deal more stable than 2000. Why do you want to go back?
2000 doesn't crash, but it does just hang for no good reason now and
then and require a reboot. I've never had that with XP.

It's easy to blame the OS, when it could be the hardware.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Hi guys....

Well its never happened to me before, this happened on a Toshiba laptop,
which the user I know is clued up, and isnt the type to muck around or not
know what hes doing.

It was just a normal bootup, login, and the damage was already done, no
error message, and I couldnt view the event log except for txt files I could
open in notepad.

Ive had XP on my home machine for almost a year, and no problems like this.

I *really* hope it doesnt happen again. - But I may implement a system state
/ registry backup very soon as it looks like ill have 100 of this exact
model push out to our users!.... tough times ahead!

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4 Dec 2003 14:17:25 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike) wrote:
>

> >I've had this happen four times now since August. Once with XP Home,
> >once with XP Pro installed on top of XP Home and now twice with XP Pro
> >(clean install). The XP "system restore" is a joke.
> >

> {snip]
> >
> >Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
> >POS ever released.
> >

> What do you guys do to these machines to make them misbehave so? I've
> had XP for over a year and I've installed it on maybe half a dozen
> other machines. I've not had any such problems or had them reported to
> me.
>
> It's a good deal more stable than 2000. Why do you want to go back?
> 2000 doesn't crash, but it does just hang for no good reason now and
> then and require a reboot. I've never had that with XP.
>
> It's easy to blame the OS, when it could be the hardware.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
> --
>
> The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
> that the conspiracy is working.

Brendan

On 4 Dec 2003 14:17:25 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike) wrote:

>Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
>POS ever released.

It's not XP. Simple process of logic - you cannot find mention of it
elsewhere because it is not happening to anyone else. Ergo, it is your
particular combination of hardware and software.

Something you are running is doing this. It is likely to be some
buggy/malicious piece of software.

And do not be surpised therefore if it happens in 2k as well.

--

....Brendan

Under capitalism, man exploits man.
Under communism, it's just the opposite.
J.K.Galbraith

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Once I get this up and running, I'm installing 2K...XP is the biggest
> POS ever released.

I think that prize has to go to Windows ME, tho'!
Then again, they've carried a lot of that ME crap on into XP, haven't
they? (the ridiculously designed system restore for instance)

I find XP is nowhere near as stable and reliable as a lot of people make
out. I used to run Win98 for a week+ without turning off and without
having any problems. I find I have to reboot XP at least every 2-3 days
or it starts to play up; the 'separate memory space' model doesn't work
as reliably as advertised; still get corruption, memory leaks,
unkillable hung processes etc... <sigh>

If Win98 ran properly on my new mobo, I'd go back like a flash.

-P.

Mr Scebe

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .co.nz...

> I find XP is nowhere near as stable and reliable as a lot of people make
> out. I used to run Win98 for a week+ without turning off and without
> having any problems. I find I have to reboot XP at least every 2-3 days
> or it starts to play up; the 'separate memory space' model doesn't work
> as reliably as advertised; still get corruption, memory leaks,
> unkillable hung processes etc... <sigh>

IMO you need to look at what software you are running. It's not too
difficult to get consistent and long uptimes out of Windows, you just need
to take care with what you load onto your machine.

My plain old Win2k with SP4 has been up for almost 14 days without missing a
tick. In fact the only reason it was shut down previously was because we had
visitors and the PC is in the spare bedroom. Prior to that this PC had been
up for more than 50 days (yeah running Win2K Pro). On that occasion it had
been rebooted because i had developed an instabilty from the previous uptime
of 84 days - what was it?, i don't know but 5 mins to reboot and it's been a
happy camper ever since.

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.