Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ipod battery only lasts 18months?

Ipod battery only lasts 18months?

T.N.O.

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

Mark Donovan

In article <bq63v5$1ugru1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

http://www.macintouch.com/ipod23.html#nov26

T.N.O.

Mark Donovan wrote:
>>http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

> http://www.macintouch.com/ipod23.html#nov26

so only $106, not ~$250 I assume this is Yanky $$$

Nicholas Sherlock

T.N.O. wrote:
> http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
products are immune from this!

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Mainlander

In article <bq6pf2$pin$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> T.N.O. wrote:
> > http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

> Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
> products are immune from this!

About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH. If you
charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

Peter

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:33:14 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>In article <bq6pf2$pin$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> T.N.O. wrote:
>> > http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

>> Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
>> products are immune from this!

>About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH. If you
>charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

Trouble is that firms get too smart and cute in packaging batteries so
they are expensive or even impossible to replace. Time for
standardisation.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:33:14 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

> >> Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
> >> products are immune from this!

> >About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH. If you
> >charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

> Trouble is that firms get too smart and cute in packaging batteries so
> they are expensive or even impossible to replace. Time for
> standardisation.

Take it to a repacking shop, they are usually pretty good

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Mainlander wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:33:14 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <bq6pf2$pin$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> >says...

>> >About 500 cycles is the typical figure for Nicad and I think NiMH.
>> >If you charge it every day, it will indeed last only 18 months.

>> Trouble is that firms get too smart and cute in packaging batteries
>> so they are expensive or even impossible to replace. Time for
>> standardisation.

> Take it to a repacking shop, they are usually pretty good

They're unlikely to be able to do anything, as the iPod uses a lithium
polymer battery about the same size as the iPod case but only a few
millimetres thick. The good news is that it is a "standard" Sony battery
i.e. it's not made especially for the iPod, which is why a couple of
other companies are selling replacements already.

Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

T.N.O.

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>>http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

> Big surprise. Rechargable batteries always have a rather limited life. NO
> products are immune from this!

yeah, but what a way to get the info out there.