Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > js or? A web design question

js or? A web design question

David

Hi - I have a map of NZ, and it has been divided up into hotspots by region
for the usual links to a page that references the co-ordinates chosen.

What I was wanting to ALSO do is to have a different picture come up as the
mouse rolled over each region/hotspot on the map (on the same page) - I have
looked and looked and cannot find a page that is doing it or something
similar I could adapt. It is not mouseover and replace, but mouseover and
show (in different place/table) on same page

Anyone point me in the right direction?

cheers

AD.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:31:21 +1300, David wrote:

> Hi - I have a map of NZ, and it has been divided up into hotspots by
> region for the usual links to a page that references the co-ordinates
> chosen.
>
> What I was wanting to ALSO do is to have a different picture come up as
> the mouse rolled over each region/hotspot on the map (on the same page) -
> I have looked and looked and cannot find a page that is doing it or
> something similar I could adapt. It is not mouseover and replace, but
> mouseover and show (in different place/table) on same page

I'm not sure how the hotspots are implemented, but you can easily make
elements visible or invisible on mouseovers using javascript and
stylesheet display attributes.

You could either give all the images ids and show/hide them, or change the
image properties of a certain element.

Cheers
Anton

KS

David wrote:
> Hi - I have a map of NZ, and it has been divided up into hotspots by
> region for the usual links to a page that references the co-ordinates
> chosen.
>
> What I was wanting to ALSO do is to have a different picture come up
> as the mouse rolled over each region/hotspot on the map (on the same
> page) - I have looked and looked and cannot find a page that is doing
> it or something similar I could adapt. It is not mouseover and
> replace, but mouseover and show (in different place/table) on same
> page

What pgm are you using for this ? Dreamweaver does a simple and effective
multiple image swop and restore, which sounds a bit like what you're trying
to achieve.

Mouse over, swop two images (one on the map to highlite where your mouse is
and the other to show the other image of data in the different place/table),
then restore on mouse out.

David

> What pgm are you using for this ? Dreamweaver does a simple and effective
> multiple image swop and restore, which sounds a bit like what you're

trying
> to achieve.
>
> Mouse over, swop two images (one on the map to highlite where your mouse

is
> and the other to show the other image of data in the different

place/table),
> then restore on mouse out.

Hi thanks for the tip - I downloaded Dreamweaver, but if you could point me
in the right direction with this program so I can see what I need to do, it
would be a help!

cheers

David

KS

> Hi thanks for the tip - I downloaded Dreamweaver, but if you could
> point me in the right direction with this program so I can see what I
> need to do, it would be a help!

Well, I've done it like this.
image#01 - main textarea that needs to be swapped
image#02 - main textarea with new swapped image info
image#03 - section title that needs to be swapped with mouse over
image#04 - section title swap version

My weird logic means any image with an odd number is an original, and an
image with an even number is the swopped image. Handy when changing the
content of the image.

Visitor moves mouse over section title (madeup of image#03), and image#03
swops to image#04 to show their mouse is over it. Also, image#01 swops a
generic text statement to image#02, specific to image#03 section.

You need to name each image a specific, easily identifiable name, to keep
track of everything.

So, go to image#03, which must have an anchor by the way, and Window,
Behaviours. Select +, then swap image. You're then presented with a list of
all of the images on the page - this is where naming everything logically
comes handy - and it should automatically show you the image and anchor
you're currently working on. Once you've selected the swop image, a *
appears next to the image name. While you're still in the swap image menu,
click on image#01 name, and select a swop image attribute for that too. When
you've finished, click ok.

You can select as *many* swap image commands on any anchor as you like.

So you could have one anchor, and have 5 images swop when the mouse moves
over it. Just keep selecting them.

But to save yourself from going insane, name each image logically as you
insert them into the page.

David Hallett

David wrote:
> I have looked and looked and cannot find a page that is doing
> it or something similar I could adapt.
> Anyone point me in the right direction?

Perhaps you are looking to implement functionality similar to this page:
http://home.nzcity.co.nz/weather/

David

"David Hallett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq3npg$7a9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David wrote:
> > I have looked and looked and cannot find a page that is doing
> > it or something similar I could adapt.
> > Anyone point me in the right direction?

> Perhaps you are looking to implement functionality similar to this page:
> http://home.nzcity.co.nz/weather/

Brilliant - that's it - hell of a code set in there! Just will edit out the
bits I don't want and see what they have done. Thanks very much.

Also for KS - thanks for the help, had a look at this and in Dreamweaver it
appears to be something to do with hidden layers etc.
http://www.macromedia.com/support/dr...layer_demo.htm

KS

>> Perhaps you are looking to implement functionality similar to this
>> page: http://home.nzcity.co.nz/weather/
>>

> Brilliant - that's it - hell of a code set in there! Just will edit
> out the bits I don't want and see what they have done. Thanks very
> much.

A perfect example of multiple mouseover work.

> Also for KS - thanks for the help, had a look at this and in
> Dreamweaver it appears to be something to do with hidden layers etc.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/dr...layer_demo.htm

Well yes layers is another way of doing it. I just thought if you were
starting off in DW, js mouseover work would be a bit easier on the brain.
But the nzcity weather is a good example of simple mutiple mouseover work.

Planning is they key to getting this to work successfully though.