Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What the hell is this ~

What the hell is this ~

David

I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
not of any description that I can see.

Any clues?

David

Stuart

news:bpv192$ltl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
> not of any description that I can see.

I get it too, quite often. I'm not sure what causes it, but if I delete it
it comes back.

I had a look at it, and it appears to contain address book entries. Possibly
it's from Outlook Express? I last deleted it on Sunday, hasn't come back
yet.

Stuart

XPD

news:bpv192$ltl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
> not of any description that I can see.
>
> Any clues?
>
> David

Ive had it before too (Win2k), and it appears on my gf's system (Win9
every now and then as well.

ZZzzz

news:bpv192$ltl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
> not of any description that I can see.
>
> Any clues?

Snipped from
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20635656.html

The ~ file is the backup file for your address book. Do you have Outlook
Express or Outlook? The April patch for Outlook Express Q330994 created this
problem. You can remove this update from the Add/Remove Programs and the
problem will be gone. Or you can live with it and wait for the next Outlook
update, which may get rid of it.

What happens normally is when you update your address book, it is stored in
the address book folder. In the same folder, the backup address file is
updated, for example, user.wab becomes user.wa~ . But the April patch
caused this user.wa~ not to be updated. Instead the backup file ~ is
created on the desktop. If you open it, you may recognize some content of
your address book.

Kurt Häusler

You are almost criminal.

http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software updated:

Get the **** off the net!

Do you know how many junk mails I suffer because of lame asses like you
that neglect to patch their bugware?

David wrote:
> I know it is a tilde but it keeps appearing on my desktop - as a file, but
> not of any description that I can see.
>
> Any clues?
>
> David

Kurt Häusler

Kurt Häusler wrote:
> You are almost criminal.
>
> http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
>
> On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
> Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software updated:
>
> Get the **** off the net!
>
> Do you know how many junk mails I suffer because of lame asses like you
> that neglect to patch their bugware?

I actually read back and read the article and it seems that this bug was
CAUSED by a security patch. So I feel I better reword my post.:

All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net
whether you download the patches or not.

Thankyou.

Rimu Atkinson

> All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net

yeah...... that's gonna happen.....

T.N.O.

Kurt Häusler wrote:
> All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net
> whether you download the patches or not.

Thats really helpful Kurt... now how about you try being polite, or, on
second thoughts, you get the **** off the net, arsehole.

Kurt Häusler

T.N.O. wrote:
> Kurt Häusler wrote:
>
>> All outlook and outlook express users please get the **** off the net
>> whether you download the patches or not.

> Thats really helpful Kurt... now how about you try being polite, or, on
> second thoughts, you get the **** off the net, arsehole.

A million spams ago I was polite to outlook and outlook express users.
Even a saint like me has limits to his patience

They dont really have any excuse now that there are alternatives.

Ok heres the polite helpful bit:

Try mozilla or something, anything but MS crap.

David

"Kurt Häusler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpv3sg$uvh$04$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> You are almost criminal.
>
> http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
>
> On behalf of other net users, I would like to say to all users of
> Outlook and Outlook Express that neglect to keep their software updated:
>
> Get the **** off the net!
>
> Do you know how many junk mails I suffer because of lame asses like you
> that neglect to patch their bugware?

Read this and then read your poorly re-worded attempt at an apology...I
would like to say thanks for your input moron, but I doubt you would
recognise sarcasm. As I keep my computer clean, apply patches when
necessary, have a variety of protection on the way into and out of the same
I hardly think what I use is any of your business.

I don't tell you to stop driving a Lada...but if I knew of a way to fix a
problem you had with it I would at least be polite enough to offer an
opinion, and if I didn't have a polite response I wouldn't hurl abuse at
your because your drive such a shite machine. Next time keep your abusive
mouth shut...

what the hell happend jkl Firefox 23 04-03-2005 11:23 AM
Wireless hell at school =?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgVHJlYXQ=?= Wireless Networking 5 03-16-2005 07:51 PM
What the hell does this mean? jackd@morcor.com Firefox 2 07-11-2004 12:25 AM
DLL Hell in .NET Allan Wong ASP .Net 1 09-25-2003 08:11 PM
Circle Hell Talon Perl 2 09-04-2003 07:25 PM

Advertisments