Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IMAP4 - will it work using my ISP?

IMAP4 - will it work using my ISP?

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Hi all

At present my e-mails come from a POP3 server at my ISP (Xtra). Is it
at all possible to setup an IMAP4 server on my home network so that it
will download e-mails from my ISP. I will be using MS Outlook 2002 as
my e-mail client.

I don't think it can be done, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.

Thanks

--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.

Nicholas Sherlock

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> At present my e-mails come from a POP3 server at my ISP (Xtra). Is it
> at all possible to setup an IMAP4 server on my home network so that it
> will download e-mails from my ISP. I will be using MS Outlook 2002 as
> my e-mail client.
>
> I don't think it can be done, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.

Yes, of course it will work, if you can configure your IMAP4 server to
download the messages using POP3.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Chris Mayhew

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all
>
> At present my e-mails come from a POP3 server at my ISP (Xtra). Is it
> at all possible to setup an IMAP4 server on my home network so that it
> will download e-mails from my ISP. I will be using MS Outlook 2002 as
> my e-mail client.
>
> I don't think it can be done, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.
>
> Thanks

You might like to take a look at:

http://www.pmail.com/

and in particular:

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

While I use Pegasus, I don't use Mercury though I have "played" with it and
it looked pretty straight forward.

This software is also free but you can buy a printed manual.

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Thanks guys for your replies.

Unfortunately I can't get Mercury to do want I want it to.

Any other ideas of another suitable IMAP server software.

Thanks.

--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
(E-Mail Removed)

AD.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:38:47 +1300, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

> Thanks guys for your replies.
>
> Unfortunately I can't get Mercury to do want I want it to.

I haven't used Mercury for ages, but what was the problem?

I noticed on the web site that it could collect via POP3, and that IMAP4
was due by 2000 - has that bit not arrived yet?

Was the problem the POP3 collection or the IMAP4 serving?

> Any other ideas of another suitable IMAP server software.

MDaemon? It's been many years since I last used it, but it could collect
mail via POP3 and 'pretend' it got them via SMTP, and it has since added
an IMAP4 server. It will cost you though.

There might be some 'free for one user' alternatives to MDaemon out there.

In the open source unix world the app used to sort of do what you want is
called fetchmail - it feeds POP3/IMAP4 mail back into a standard MTAs
queue. You could try searching for a Windows version of fetchmail or a
fetchmail work-a-like that someone might've written.

You could possibly even run fetchmail via cygwin. Or if you get really
crazy run fetchmail (POP3 collection), Postfix (for the MTA), and
something like Courier (for IMPA4) together on cygwin. It's free and will
work, but would probably be the hardest option to set up initially. You'd
have to learn more about email than you ever wanted to know

Another option: Would your ISP consider queueing your mail for you so that
you could collect it via the SMTP ETRN command? You still need to find a
SMTP/IMAP4 server though.

Cheers
Anton

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded Mercury and although it implied that it would do what I
wanted, using the software wasn't very intuitive. In addition when I
ran it for a second time it failed to bring up any of the
administration windows. There wasn't a direct line of help to the
developer, and to top it all there wasn't an uninstall feature, so I
spent some 15 minutes uninstalling it manually.

Clearly a bad experience of free software.

Thanks again for the input.

--

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:35:40 +1300, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I downloaded Mercury and although it implied that it would do what I
> wanted, using the software wasn't very intuitive.

OK, forget my cygwin suggestions then

Cheers
Anton

Chris Mayhew

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I downloaded Mercury and although it implied that it would do what I
> wanted, using the software wasn't very intuitive. In addition when I
> ran it for a second time it failed to bring up any of the
> administration windows. There wasn't a direct line of help to the
> developer, and to top it all there wasn't an uninstall feature, so I
> spent some 15 minutes uninstalling it manually.
>
> Clearly a bad experience of free software.
>
> Thanks again for the input.

There are some quite bussy newsgroups (they were when i was there) -
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc and comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows as well
as a mailing list.

You can send an email to (E-Mail Removed) to get an automated responce
listing the free souces of help (though I haven't tried this)

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Thanks for the reply.

I decided not to attempt to use cygwin as anything to do with Linux
has me jinxed

I have attempted on many occasion to get Linux varieties to work on my
machine and have always failed - and not through the lack of trying.

Cheers

--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
(E-Mail Removed)

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Thank you for the relay

OK you've convinced me, I'll give it one more try

Thanks