Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstream availability?

Jetstream availability?

Howard

I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one of
the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for my
internet business.

And having an internet business, I need fast internet access. At the moment
I work and serve from home (my server configuration is quite specific), but
I could colocate if I needed to. Even then I's still need fast internet (up
& down) to control the server etc.

So I have to live in a house with good internet access. I have been telling
all the real estates agent that I need jetstream. Most say 'what's that', or
'yes this house is perfectfor you - you can dial up to the internet from it"
etc. Not a good look.

I have used the Telecom page whereby one can supply the phone number of a
property and it says whether it can receive jetstream, but that is a bit
cumbersome given the number of properties that I'm looking at (most agents
are reluctant to give out the working number of the house).

So can anyone tell me of a resource or map which tells me which areas are
jetstream capable? Or even a map of jetstream enabled exchanges?

And what able the alternatives? Whoosh/ BCL. Are they likely to be a good
option?

TIA

-H

NZed

Sounds serious Howard...
Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders moving
to wellington.
Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie Paradise.

NZed

"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QF9wb.7373$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one

of
> the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for

my
> internet business.
>
> And having an internet business, I need fast internet access. At the

moment
> I work and serve from home (my server configuration is quite specific),

but
> I could colocate if I needed to. Even then I's still need fast internet

(up
> & down) to control the server etc.
>
> So I have to live in a house with good internet access. I have been

telling
> all the real estates agent that I need jetstream. Most say 'what's that',

or
> 'yes this house is perfectfor you - you can dial up to the internet from

it"
> etc. Not a good look.
>
> I have used the Telecom page whereby one can supply the phone number of a
> property and it says whether it can receive jetstream, but that is a bit
> cumbersome given the number of properties that I'm looking at (most agents
> are reluctant to give out the working number of the house).
>
> So can anyone tell me of a resource or map which tells me which areas are
> jetstream capable? Or even a map of jetstream enabled exchanges?
>
> And what able the alternatives? Whoosh/ BCL. Are they likely to be a good
> option?
>
> TIA
>
> -H

JedMeister

I had the same issue when I moved recently. While searching, I phoned
Telecom to make sure each property I looked at was jetstream capable.

But, Telecom would not guarantee that any of the houses could definitely
receive Jetstream services, even if they were in the jetstream area. Telecom
would say however that a given address would probably be capable of
receiving jetstream.

"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QF9wb.7373$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one

of
> the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for

my
> internet business.
>
> And having an internet business, I need fast internet access. At the

moment
> I work and serve from home (my server configuration is quite specific),

but
> I could colocate if I needed to. Even then I's still need fast internet

(up
> & down) to control the server etc.
>
> So I have to live in a house with good internet access. I have been

telling
> all the real estates agent that I need jetstream. Most say 'what's that',

or
> 'yes this house is perfectfor you - you can dial up to the internet from

it"
> etc. Not a good look.
>
> I have used the Telecom page whereby one can supply the phone number of a
> property and it says whether it can receive jetstream, but that is a bit
> cumbersome given the number of properties that I'm looking at (most agents
> are reluctant to give out the working number of the house).
>
> So can anyone tell me of a resource or map which tells me which areas are
> jetstream capable? Or even a map of jetstream enabled exchanges?
>
> And what able the alternatives? Whoosh/ BCL. Are they likely to be a good
> option?
>
> TIA
>
> -H

Howard

NZed wrote:

> Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders
> moving to wellington.
> Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie
> Paradise.

Yes, I'm jealous of people with paradise.

But I have two goals of moving, 1) to escape the big city life and 2) to
free up some capital. So moving to another big city won't do it...

Mainlander

In article <QF9wb.7373$(E-Mail Removed)>, howhard1309
@hotmail.com says...
> I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one of
> the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for my
> internet business.
>
> And having an internet business, I need fast internet access. At the moment
> I work and serve from home (my server configuration is quite specific), but
> I could colocate if I needed to. Even then I's still need fast internet (up
> & down) to control the server etc.
>
> So I have to live in a house with good internet access. I have been telling
> all the real estates agent that I need jetstream. Most say 'what's that', or
> 'yes this house is perfectfor you - you can dial up to the internet from it"
> etc. Not a good look.
>
> I have used the Telecom page whereby one can supply the phone number of a
> property and it says whether it can receive jetstream, but that is a bit
> cumbersome given the number of properties that I'm looking at (most agents
> are reluctant to give out the working number of the house).
>
> So can anyone tell me of a resource or map which tells me which areas are
> jetstream capable? Or even a map of jetstream enabled exchanges?
>
> And what able the alternatives? Whoosh/ BCL. Are they likely to be a good
> option?

Wellington or Christchurch with Saturn cable is an option.

Peter

Howard wrote:
> I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one
> of the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital
> for my internet business.

There has been some reports of beefing up internet access in Taranaki. (I'm
on jetstream starter, so don't have first hand knowledge of how well this
has succeeded.) There are a couple of internet / software businesses based
in New Plymouth.
These links might help ...
http://www.taranaki.info/news/vn_jul2003.htm
http://www.itaranaki.co.nz/organisat...tcommittee.htm
You could contact Venture Tarnaki, or one of the folks at itaranaki for more
info.

HTH

Peter

Jerry

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:13:49 +1300, "Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>NZed wrote:
>
>> Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders
>> moving to wellington.
>> Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie
>> Paradise.

>Yes, I'm jealous of people with paradise.
>
>But I have two goals of moving, 1) to escape the big city life and 2) to
>free up some capital. So moving to another big city won't do it...

Wellington is a big city?

Jerry

Ron McNulty

Hi Howard

The Telecom website has a search facility that will tell you if Telecom
think Jetstream is available in a particular street in NZ.

As of last Xmas, Turangi did not have access - might give you something to
go on.

Regards

Ron

"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QF9wb.7373$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one

of
> the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for

my
> internet business.
>
> And having an internet business, I need fast internet access. At the

moment
> I work and serve from home (my server configuration is quite specific),

but
> I could colocate if I needed to. Even then I's still need fast internet

(up
> & down) to control the server etc.
>
> So I have to live in a house with good internet access. I have been

telling
> all the real estates agent that I need jetstream. Most say 'what's that',

or
> 'yes this house is perfectfor you - you can dial up to the internet from

it"
> etc. Not a good look.
>
> I have used the Telecom page whereby one can supply the phone number of a
> property and it says whether it can receive jetstream, but that is a bit
> cumbersome given the number of properties that I'm looking at (most agents
> are reluctant to give out the working number of the house).
>
> So can anyone tell me of a resource or map which tells me which areas are
> jetstream capable? Or even a map of jetstream enabled exchanges?
>
> And what able the alternatives? Whoosh/ BCL. Are they likely to be a good
> option?
>
> TIA
>
> -H

madknoxie

"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one of
> the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for my
> internet business.

Thought about Dunedin? Still has some of the benefits of bigger cities
but is rediculously cheap to live here by comparison. Most of the city
has Jetstream, but not if you head out the peninsular, etc. Also a local
company is bringing wireless to the city which may be perfect for you.
They are also going to have (or do they already?) a co-location facility
you could chuck your server in.

--
madknoxie

Evil Bastard

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:53:47 +1300, NZed wrote:

> Sounds serious Howard...
> Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders moving
> to wellington.
> Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie Paradise.

Wellington might well be the place for you

Got all the important facilities which one expects from a city, with a few
notable differences from Auckland:

* clean air
* a much more vibrant, uplifting refreshing 'feel' to the place
* a Wellingtonian's idea of 'traffic jam' is being delayed for 10 minutes
at peak hour