Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > re-activating XP

re-activating XP

jfwilson

Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.

Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
back, overwriting the existing file.

Gregory Parker

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:01:13 +1300, "jfwilson"
<jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
>
>Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
>location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
>the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
>back, overwriting the existing file.

Yes but it does not work..

Bruce Flyger

Gregory Parker wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:01:13 +1300, "jfwilson"
> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>

>>Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
>>
>>Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
>>location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
>>the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
>>back, overwriting the existing file.
>>

> Yes but it does not work..

It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
originally activated on.
The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
mode to get around Windows file protection.

--
M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

Gregory Parker

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:58:27 +1300, Bruce Flyger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gregory Parker wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:01:13 +1300, "jfwilson"
>> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>>

>>>Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
>>>
>>>Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
>>>location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
>>>the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
>>>back, overwriting the existing file.
>>>

>> Yes but it does not work..
>>

>It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
>originally activated on.
>The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
>mode to get around Windows file protection.

As asked about this in a MS support Newsgroup, and most stated that it did not
work..

Invisible

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:33:00 +1300, Gregory Parker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:58:27 +1300, Bruce Flyger
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Gregory Parker wrote:

>>> Yes but it does not work..
>>>

>>It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
>>originally activated on.
>>The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
>>mode to get around Windows file protection.

>As asked about this in a MS support Newsgroup, and most stated that it did not
>work..

Well gosh dang it must be true if it was stated there.

Rider

"Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:33:00 +1300, Gregory Parker
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:58:27 +1300, Bruce Flyger
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>It works for me, but only on the exact same hardware that it was
> >>originally activated on.
> >>The file replacement process is something that should be done in safe
> >>mode to get around Windows file protection.

> >As asked about this in a MS support Newsgroup, and most stated that it

did not
> >work..
> >

> Well gosh dang it must be true if it was stated there.

LOL I was going to say something similar, but I just couldnt be bothered.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

jfwilson wrote:
> Thought I would share this tweak from Atomic mgazine.
>
> Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a secure
> location. Then, if you happen to need to re-activate
> the OS you can do this quickly by copying the wba.dbl
> back, overwriting the existing file.

That probably won't work, because XP will only ask for a re-activate
if a certain number of changes have occurred in the machine (wpa.dbl
contains serial numbers of devices in your PC...if they don't match
at bootup it will update wpa.dbl and if criteria are exceeded ask you
for a re-activate code). Assuming you have upgraded the PC, the old
wpa.dbl you put back in will have the serial number from an old
device, and XP will probably not like that...

Also, don't write protect wpa.dbl to prevent it being updated...that
will apparently cause a crash that will nuke your registry and need
a total re-install (read this in APC mag)

--
Kind regards,